1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sculpin in a can sighting

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by sandiego67, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Photo is not showing. Please confirm. Over.

2. "Do you have Sculpin in a can?"

"Yes."

"You better let it out, or it will suffocate."

3. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (310) California Jul 25, 2008

What are they charging? Are they 6-packs or 4-packs?

4. That's one of the brewers from BP...I don't think the cans are available yet. But to answer your question: probably too much.

jamex likes this.
  5. [​IMG]

Wish it was 16 oz! Curse you Ballast Point!

6. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

They just got their canning line 2-3 weeks ago. It is a very slow machine and they said they will only be canning sculpin with it.

7. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Savant (250) California Jun 5, 2012

like most great craft beer can prices...it'll probably be $19.99 for a four pack.

8. Rampage1

Rampage1 Aficionado (175) Arizona Mar 10, 2011

Please send some 6 pack cans to AZ. Please!

9. Coming back to SD this week and would love to find some in cans. Maybe I'll stop by the brewery and hope they have some.

10. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

I just had my first Sculpin and mine was not bitter at all. What gives? I was disappointed.

11. It probably wasn't very fresh. Check the enjoy by date. Sculpin tends to sit on shelves awhile due to the high price tag.

I cannot wait for Sculpin cans.

12. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

A young Ron Perlman with BBQ pork shoulder?

bigsippin likes this.
  13. bigsippin

bigsippin Zealot (90) California Feb 9, 2012

from what i've heard, it'll be sometime in Feb for cans. I didn't hear anything about price.

14. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

"It probably wasn't fresh". Tired of this response when people don't like Sculpin! FRESH Sculpin isn't very good anymore, it is basically a different beer from what it was 2 years ago. Living 10 miles from the Old Grove location and working 3 miles from it - I get told I need it "fresh" on this site whenever I mention it sucks.

15. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

The only sculpin in a can I will buy is in the keg. My 15.5 keg of sculpin is halfway full/empty. Bottles are too much $$'s. But it'll have to do if you ain't got a kegerator. Still a great ipa!!:)

16. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

This last batch of 15.5 gal of sculpin I picked up was/is still fresh. Nothing like out of the bottles. I did compare out of the bottles and the keg when I first tapped it. Now if I can get a keg of fresh pliny.

By the way: FYI - You can now buy 5 gal keg Sculpins in the OC. They just started distributing the kegs the end of last year. Mr Kegs carries it now. And Bevmo is suppose to be getting it too.

17. Pretty simple solution to this - every time you get told this, we arrange a BA summit at the Old Grove location, and do a taste test of sorts. If people agree you are right, then they must take you a nearby place of your choice (maybe Alesmith or Societe) and buy you what you like. If you are proven wrong, then you must go to a place you do not like (let's say Wet & Reckless) and buy yourself a few beers.

HopHead84 likes this.
  18. I, too, have detected a difference in the taste of Sculpin over the years (not sure if it is my own taste changing, or the beer itself). I am curious what you think has changed.

19. Tanger

Tanger Zealot (80) Pennsylvania May 21, 2008

Nice looking Traeger

20. I agree that it is a shell of its former self. With that being said, I still prefer it over most of the year-round/easy to find IPA's out there when it's fresh ;).

To be clear, he mentioned it was not very bitter and not that "it sucks". More likely than not, this is a result of old product.