1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

[SEA] Urban Family has a Living Social deal

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by ithinkimasofa, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Just a heads up that Urban Family has a Living Social deal - $18 for 3 12oz pours and a take-home growler. Seemed like a pretty solid deal to me.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/529268?ref=conf-jp&rpi=95820532

Damn, I missed the fine print. Courtesy of gueuzehead:
    Fine print "Valid only for on-tap Urban Family brews", I haven't had any of their house made beers yet.​

2. Fine print "Valid only for on-tap Urban Family brews", I haven't had any of their house made beers yet.

3. Bah, I missed the small print! Good find. I'll edit above.

4. I'm still on the fence about it, if it worked for all taps I would purchase right now as they offer some great stuff on tap.

5. I cancelled my order for now. Having never had their beers, I don't really want to commit $18. I'd rather go buy another bottle of Bbomb instead.

I saw the no barrel/special taps, but somehow missed that it was their beers only. The way the deal is described is actually pretty crappy. The main text of the deal links to their whole tap list and says "The well-curated list of pours includes IPAs, lagers, stouts, and more." Seems pretty deceptive, actually, considering there are only 2 Urban Family beers on the whole list - a porter that and an undefined beer. Not sure if that even "includes" a single IPA, lager, or stout...let alone pluralized and the "and more."

6. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

It's a shady place, to start with, anyway. People were complaining a while ago about them adding tax on top of their beer costs instead of including it, like other places do. Or something like that.

bgramer likes this.
  7. tozerm

tozerm Savant (375) Washington Jul 1, 2005

Shady to add tax? It's illegal not to. If you think you aren't paying tax when it's "included" you are fooling yourself.. In truth you are most likely paying more when it's included because they won't round down...

8. tozerm

Deals like this basically have to be house beers only... anyone running a voucher with Living Social, or any of the other sites, would run afoul of the WSLCB regulation that prevents selling any beer below cost... house beer "costs" less than beer bought wholesale.

9. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

I think the point was that most bars have rolled the tax cost into the menu price, and Urban Family did not. So the pricing isnt really apples-to-apples. Whatever, it's a pretty expensive place to drink regardless.

10. tozerm

I get it.. I just find it amazing that people assume that if tax is "included" they are somehow getting a deal. let's say a pint costs $4. Throw on a 10% sales tax, that brings it to $4.40... now is any bar that includes the tax going to sell it for $4.40? Will they sell it for $4.25 inclusive? nope... they'll round it to $4.50.

11. dirtylou

Valid. I think the beef is that beer X may cost $5 down the street (tax included) and cost $5 at urban family (tax excluded). If you're the only shop pricing beers like that, it's just a little odd.

No worries - they looked busy tonight.

12. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I already bought the Living Social and looking forward to trying their beers. Been meaning to since they opened & never got around to it. $18 for 3 beers & a growler to go not bad. The fine print is fine with me. Would have been trying their beers regardless.

13. Urban Family is a rip off and I have pretty much boycotted that bar. Every time I have gone there it has been a bad experience. Small pours, extreme pricing, no customer service, bait and switch style tactics. My last straw was when they said happy hour was 5-7pm, I go and buy a beer and they say sorry no happy hour on "event" nights and I say no problem here is the cash and they say oh that is not enough. I thought, not enough the menu says $6, but no I forgot sales tax. So my $5 happy hour beer turned into a $6.50 beer, really nice.

Main reasons to not go to this bar:

1) One of the most expensive bars in Seattle
    2) Just when you thought it could not get anymore expensive they hit you with 9.5% sales tax
    3) If they are having an "event" night there is no happy hour, but they don't tell you that until after you order
    4) Their pours are smaller than most bars even with the increased price
    5) When you ask questions about pricing you get scolded by bartender

Hey breweries (Firestone, Cascade, Lost Abbey, Stone, etc, etc.) STOP giving this bar special one-off beers...

bgramer likes this.
  14. NWer

Interesting. With the influx of places to go where the experience is nothing but positive I wouldn't think they've chosen a very good business model.
    For 18 bucks I'll see for myself how I'm treated & report back.

15. Hmm, only been there once and it was pretty positive experience given that is was Cascade Brewery night and all the beers were top-notch.

It is in a pretty douchey area of Ballard, though, where the yuppies with kids go on Friday and Saturday nights to get white-girl-wasted, but I try not to hold that against them too much.

16. Is this better or worse than white-dude-wasted?

Franch likes this.
  17. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

18. NWer

For what it's worth, one of my favorite places, Special Brews, charges TAX on beer pours! Never gave it a thought until it became an "issue".
    I'm not going to get excited about their policies.

19. I was there on Friday and didn't last long inside because the smell of deep fryer was overwhelming. I had one Boneyard RPM.

20. dirtylou

I don't know if it was a deep fryer or flat top for the burgers, but yeah, the aroma was offensive. The air was densely filled with its pungency. Gross.

21. NWer

Finally got around to using my Groupon at Urban Family yesterday and the experience was nothing but positive. The service was perfunctory but adequate. Nice enough. The place was airy and clean. No offensive smells at all.
    The three house beers were exceptional. The Little Mac Ale with a touch of Belgian yeast was probably the best low ABV at 4.0% I can remember. Very enjoyable. The Isildurs Bane IPA and 1885 Scottish Ale were very good as well.
    I have no problems with Urban Family. The only thing keeping me from going back anytime soon is so many other new places springing up I need to check out. As for Ballard being douchey, if Ballard Avenue isn't for you, stay away.

22. Finally used our Living Social deal last night. It will be the last time that I will go to Urban Family. The house beers were meh (at best). The service was spotty --- server made mistakes with 3 of the 6 dishes we ordered. The smell from the flat-top grill was unpleasant. The music was too loud for 6:30 pm for dinner time. And, let me just say, a place that serves burgers (which were the high spot of our meal and beers) but doesn't offer fries (or even potato chips) has their priorities out of whack.

The non-house beer selection was good and their bottle list was top-notch. But with Noble Fir across the street, I see no reason to darken Urban Family's door again.

[One other bright side of Urban Family is that they are kid and dog friendly.]

23. sox203

sox203 Zealot (85) Washington Feb 11, 2010

Bummer, these deals as a sign of near death...

24. sox203

sox203 Zealot (85) Washington Feb 11, 2010

So, 1-5 = you're cheap?

1) One of the most expensive bars in Seattle
    2) Just when you thought it could not get anymore expensive they hit you with 9.5% sales tax
    3) If they are having an "event" night there is no happy hour, but they don't tell you that until after you order
    4) Their pours are smaller than most bars even with the increased price
    5) When you ask questions about pricing you get scolded by bartender

Hey breweries (Firestone, Cascade, Lost Abbey, Stone, etc, etc.) STOP giving this bar special one-off beers...[/quote]

25. And to top it off, the one growler I got from them with the Living Social deal was flat only one day later. This place blows.