1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Seasonals

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jlordi12, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I had my first nugget nectar last night and it got me to thinking. If IPAs such as NN, Celebration Ale, Abrasive, Hopslam and Sucks (for the time being) were year round they would just be another albeit , very good IPA in a sea of very good IPAs and their ratings would fall accordingly. The beer I point to for my example of this is Sumpin Sumpin Ale from Lagunitas. As soon as that beer went year round the hype train stopped (almost immediately) and it was just another beer. I think the current marketing of said beers works extremely well and it would be a mistake to offer any of these and countless others year-round. Thoughts on this?

2. egall816

egall816 Aspirant (25) Dec 31, 2012

i agreee i work as a beer manager and i noticed that beers that are seasonal will not only sell but be more demanded rather than having them year round the ones they do start having year round from being a seasonal drop in sales and demand

3. This is very true.why not just make every beer "limited" and always brew "different" beers?

4. There is the consumer side and the brewery side to this.consumer passes it up because he/she knows "it will just be there next time".breweries do it because they have a beer that the demand is so high for they can't make it fast enough.why not make more of it?they want there breweries to grow and if u have a beer everyone wants it seems like a no brainer.or does it?people want what they can't have and once they find out they can't have something they want it more.its human nature.look at the boards,they are full of people trying to get beers that aren't available to them,myself included,but we are all surrounded by plenty of readily available excellent beer.its like any other market,once you flood it with too many options,the bottom falls out

ESeab and jlordi12 like this.
  5. I'm in complete agreement and I'd go far as to say that more breweries would be wise to introduce more limited beers. I don't think we, as consumers, lose because freshness could never be questioned.

6. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

It's the ol' supply and demand theory. When there is actual (or at least perceived) limited supply, more people rush out to get it before it's gone...which then quickly lowers the supply out there. Plus, then the breweries can raise the prices (or move it to 4 packs), since people are "demanding" it so much.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

People want what they can't have, if you tell people they can only buy something they enjoy from November to January or whatever they are going to want to snatch it up while they can.

baconman91 and WassailWilly like this.
  8. I completely agree that the demand for these limited releases would dwindle if they were year round, but in the case of the once a year IPAS I would like to see maybe twice a year releases. My enjoyment of IPAs is not limited to winter time, in fact I think the tropical hop flavors are awesome summer beer flavors too. Lagunitas sucks would be a great summer beer but I think the hype of it will drop if they go year round like they are talking about. What do you guys think about some of these IPAs being twice a year releases? Would the demand fall off at all for highly hyped beers like hopslam or would there just be two mad rushes to get it? I like stone's approach with the enjoy by IPA. A model to be followed I think. Hype? yes. Limited? yes. Once a year? nope

9. Once a season!

10. I like what Stone is doing with their Enjoy By IPA. They are selecting 5 or so cities every couple of months, rotating everytime. So it's techically a year around beer with a seasonal feel.

kirbmeist likes this.
  11. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

Little sumpin sumpin is the shit!

KevinGordon likes this.
  12. Great beer, but now its sits around way more.

jglowe77 likes this.
  13. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

While I agree that seasonals are more alluring and probably sell faster due to the "gotta get it while I can" mentality, a good beer is still a good beer and will be purchased accordingly (e.g., my fridge is constantly stocked with Two Hearted).

But I can agree with what you're saying - when you go to the store and you're looking to only buy one 6-pack, and there sits Two Hearted, which you know will be there all year round, right next to a Nugget Nectar which may not be there tomorrow - which one are you gonna buy?

Both >_>

ESeab and kirbmeist like this.
  14. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

And there's also the case of year round beers with limited availability (within distribution footprint) like Pliny the Elder. I know I would buy more PtE if it was on the shelf all of the time, but think the beer/name would lose some of its mystique if it was readily available.

[​IMG]

baconman91 likes this.
  15. If Torpedo was a seasonal or had limited distribution people would freak out over it.

16. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I buy seasonals because I KNOW they are fresh.

17. If Miller Lite was a seasonal more people would buy it. It's triple hopped.

18. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Speaking of Lagunita's and seasonals. Don't drink an entire growler of Little Sumpin' Wild before a Bills game. You will black out and want to die when the hangover hits at 4 pm. Don't say I didn't warn you.

19. Same here. As much as I would like to see Sucks go year round (in 6 packs, don't like the 32 oz idea), I also wouldn't mind see it stick to the current limited seasonal release because I know it would be fresh. I would hate to see Sucks sit on the shelf for months if it does indeed go year round. Plus, its another beer to look forward to after the holidays when its cold as shit out and theirs daylight for like 3 hours.

jlordi12 likes this.
  20. At least it keeps you warm on those 12 degree games in the snow.

21. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Fixed:D

22. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Sucks has been really hard for me to find this year. Last year my local beer store had it for a couple of months always on the shelf. This year they got it one time and said they're not sure if they'll have it again. As a consequence, I went to another shop and bought a 6, but now they're out. Enough people love this beer (seems like) that they should have it year round, or at least plan to make more of it. That being said, I'd be OK with it staying seasonal if it were as readily available as some of the SN seasonals like Celebration, which seems to be on the shelf everywhere. BTW, I live in Florida.

23. Here in my area, its pretty easy to find and still hanging around in some stores. I'm still seeing batches from December in some cases.