1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Seat at the table - Abstrakt?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by MrKennedy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (655) Australia Jul 14, 2008

If you end up on a weekend (or Friday) let me know and I can bring 10 and 11 to round it out.
  2. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (320) California Jan 15, 2010

Where's my seat?
  3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Always a spare seat for you
  4. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (320) California Jan 15, 2010

Thanks, now i gotta find a spare seat on V Australia :D
  5. MrKennedy

Definitely owe you beers!!!
  6. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

well lets see, unemployed so whenever.
    happy for ether. the bub should be in a routine by then and the wife should be driving again as well.
  7. MrKennedy

Held this tasting as part of something bigger last night at mulder1010's. Abstrakt AB:01 to AB:09, big thanks to spicelab and barls for bringing the beers and to perthbelgianbeer for sending across the AB:06!

The beers were:
    AB:01 - Vanilla Bean Infused Belgian Quad - released April 2010
    AB:02 - Triple Dry Hopped Imperial Red Ale - released June 2010
    AB:03 - Imperial Ale aged over 2 years in Whisky casks with Raspberries & Strawberries - released September 2010
    AB:04 - Imperial Stout brewed with Coffee, Cacao and Chili - released October 2010
    AB:05 - Belgian Imperial Stout aged on Toasted Coconut & Cacao - released February 2011
    AB:06 - Triple Dry Hopped Imperial Black IPA - released May 2011
    AB:07 - Whisky Cask Aged Imperial Scotch Ale - released September 2011
    AB:08 - Deconstructed Blonde Imperial Stout - released December 2011
    AB:09 - Cranachan Imperial Stout - released April 2012

Interested to hear the thoughts from those that came along. AB:02 was my fave...hops had settled quite a bit, but turned into a good barleywine. Did like AB:03, seemed to smell like raspberries and taste like strawberries, all one way and not the other which was interesting. Didn't like the AB:04 as much as previously. AB:07 was the lowpoint, not really much going on.

Was fun to do, so thanks guys for the beers and for the fun night and to mulder1010 for hosting!
    joecast likes this.
  8. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

That was serious good fun. Thanks to all who brought the Abstrakt lineup.
    MrKennedy likes this.
  9. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (655) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Sounds great. Let me know about the next one and I'll try to get there.
    MrKennedy likes this.
  10. Not that I was there, but AB:08 was my least favourite from the series.
    MrKennedy likes this.
  11. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Thanks so much guys, was a great tasting.

My thoughts:

AB:01 - Pretty solid quad for what is probably not a favourite style of mine. Had elements of both Rochefort 10 and Westy (whose yeast it was brewed with) in my opinion.
    AB:02 - Held up quite well I thought, very strong house-Brewdog honeyed malt with spicy hops aroma (think 5 AM Saint or Hardcore)
    AB:03 - Enjoyed this one too, great strawberry and strawberry jam flavours in this, with a subtle vanilla from the Whisky casks. Age did this no damage.
    AB:04 - This was great. Have had this previously and also the Dog A re-brew, but now with some age it took on some decidedly porty flavours. And still got some of the chilli coming through.
    AB:05 - This was a decline from the previous. Not bad but markedly sweet and I guess was not quite up to the preceding beer which was also an Imperial Stout.
    AB:06 - I felt this one was more harmed by age than AB:02. Hop aroma had withered away to a minimum and there was not a whole lot left.
    AB:07 - Straight banana custard on the nose. A lot of people seemed to take a dislike to it but I found it reasonable for the style.
    AB:08 - Have had this before too, was OK and not great. Cocoa had dropped off a bit with age and that is the main drawcard of this beer so...
    AB:09 - Boozy, not a whole lot going on for me. Others thought it would develop well with more time.

So yer pretty much the first four were good to very good then, interestingly, we saw a bit of a decline.
    joecast, heygeebee and MrKennedy like this.
  12. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

AB:01 - Vanilla Bean Infused Belgian Quad - released April 2010- enjoyed this one, second that it was westveletern in flavour.
    AB:02 - Triple Dry Hopped Imperial Red Ale - released June 2010 held up really well more of an english red barley wine though.
    AB:03 - Imperial Ale aged over 2 years in Whisky casks with Raspberries & Strawberries - released September 2010 really enjoyed this one. all it needed was a sour element and it would of been perfect.
    AB:04 - Imperial Stout brewed with Coffee, Cacao and Chili - released October 2010 didnt get much chilli, wasnt too roasty ether just big and thick.
    AB:05 - Belgian Imperial Stout aged on Toasted Coconut & Cacao - released February 2011, chocolate and warming alcohol notes
    AB:06 - Triple Dry Hopped Imperial Black IPA - released May 2011 slightly oxidised and didnt hold up as well as the 02
    AB:07 - Whisky Cask Aged Imperial Scotch Ale - released September 2011. slight smoke note but needs more carmel to be a scottish.
    AB:08 - Deconstructed Blonde Imperial Stout - released December 2011. thought it needed roast in the some where to pull off what they were trying for
    AB:09 - Cranachan Imperial Stout - released April 2012 was a bit young needed a bit more time to meld and mellow.

thanks all for a great night. must say that work was fun this morning.
  13. my 2c, i took less notes than others methinks, the joys of Nokia vs iPhone :mad:

I rated

AB:01 - 4.5
    AB:02 - 3.5 ... basically an aged English-style Barley wine
    AB:03 - 4 ... quite fizzy, fruity sour strawberries
    AB:04 - 4 ...lots of sherry on nose, more aged barley wine, raisins, sugar etc
    AB:05 - 4.5 ...cocoa vanilla and booze, actually less like an aged barley wine
    AB:06 - 3 ...hmmm, sort of hoppyish, bur faded
    AB:07 - 3.5 ...malt bomb Scotch ale plus bananas
    AB:08 - 3 ... the deconstructed stout, same same barleywine nose
    AB:09 - 4 ... yay!!! some fruit left, berries to the fore

i thought....

• Fabulous to be invited and have the opportunity - hugely indebted, as it was a surprise when I got there to see them all on table...
    • All quite clearly were from the same brewery, same overall characteristics
    • On reflection, I am unsure about Brewdog's ageing claims.... the older beers were all in all displaying predominantly Aged English Barleywine characers. Even the stouts(!) the younger had more variation. I suspect 18 months as ideal.
    • Brewdog do really like their berries.
    • I think we maybe all suffered palate jading after all nine... and that was with a palate cleanser after 4...
    • Not much yesterday. At all. And I was the first to leave. Some bright ideas about catching a train in the monsoon, which I then missed, and had to call for a 'Son Taxi' - bless him.... being taken for a drift in his Sylvia round corners with the subs pumping dubstep at 110db was a fitting end to a great night :D
    cheers!
  14. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Overall I was slightly underwhelmed with the Abstrakt series, but mainly by virtue of suffering in comparison with the quality of beers at other tastings over the past couple of years.

Individually:

AB01: Enjoyed the rich dark fruits and earthy fortified character
    AB02: Still a decent piney hop presence. nice mellowness to it overall.
    AB03: Definitely my favourite. Surprised how well the berries stood up and intermeshed with the brusque whisky chaarcter.
    AB04: Maybe my second favourite. Solid, silky RIS.
    AB05: Decent, but seemed too sweet after the previous
    AB06: Completely different to when I had it fresh. Still drinkable but lacking purpose.
    AB07: Like Daniel said, I though Banoffe pie with caramel sauce on the nose. Unfortunately the taste was fairly nondescript rich malt.
    AB08: Worst of the lot. Barely held it together, with the faux-stout chaarcteristics (think cocoa extract and vanilla extract) too artficial.
    AB09: Can't remember too much about it. Big and unwieldy at this stage.

Of the later beers, BA Old Ruffian, Fou Foune and Big Bad Baptist were my picks.

As always, great fun, great banter, and a truly horrible day at work the next day :eek:
  15. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Really enjoyed 1-4. I thought 3 may have been the best of the group as the fruit held up very well. 9 could be outstanding. Beast of a beer not fully developed.

Wicked lineup of beers and just really good company. Really have to say thanks to the Sydney peeps. A real quality group of people and I deeply appreciate how much fun these tastings are. As well to be able to work with my retarded work schedule.
    joecast, spicelab, heygeebee and 2 others like this.