1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Seattle Beer Tasting

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by t4h2c0, Apr 12, 2012.

?

Favortie Crazy Beer Style

1. Sour

60.7%
  2. Imperial Stout

39.3%
  3. Imperial/Double IPA

14.3%
  4. Strong Beer

17.9%
  5. Barleywine

25.0%
  6. Experimental

10.7%
  7. Other

3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I have a beer storage unit at seattle wine storage in seattle and need to do a tasting soon. I have a cornucopia of good beer and I am planning on busting out some strong/rare beers. So there is no real style guidelines on beer to bring just make it really good beer that you would not normally see around, but of course anything is welcome. In my cellar I mostly have imperial stouts, barley wines, sour beers, strong beers, and others. Bring some food to share if you want and we will have a beer pot luck of sorts.
    I want to limit it to about 12 to 15 people (just so if we have a good 12oz beer we can make sure everyone can get a small sip) and I already have about four people that want to go so it is basically the first 10 to 12 people that beermail me and confirm they want to go.
    I am planning on doing it either April 21st at 1pm or April 28th at 1pm, both are saturdays. Once people start beermailing me we can see what is the best day and time for people and try and reach a popular decision, which ever day works for the most people is probably what we will do. We can also compile a list of beers people are bring so we don't have repeats.
    So, beermail me if you want to participate in big beer tasting at the seattle wine storage in seattle soon.

2. I'm game. I dont know how to beermail in this new format yet though.

3. Ya i am not sure if the beermail works right now, so people can just reply to this post if they what to attend. Lets shoot for april 28th at 1pm just so we can have more time to coordinate.

4. I may have missed it. Is this at your place or Seattle wine storage ?

5. In for 21st, but I can't make it te 28 th.

6. Not sure what I'll bring yet. Maybe 50/50 Concentrated Evil or Big Sky Ivan 2010. Also have a couple Colorado barleywines Killer Penguin 2010 and Wake Up Dead 2011 (not sure whos tried em, perhaps better with age?).

Also have a stash of Parabola, Abacus/Sucaba, and Abyss, among others.

I should be able to make either date. Have a friend who also might be interested. How much beer should we bring per person?

7. Either date works for me. What's the address again?

I'm not into trading but I can certainly bring something quality that's not too common. I can also bring some food that will pair well with the beer.

Justin

8. It is

Seattle wine storage is across the street from whole foods westlake, the address is 122 Terry Avenue North
    Seattle, WA 98109.

Right now it looks like we are gong to try and do the tasting at seattle wine storage 4/28 saturday at 1pm.

9. Crap! I would LOVE to come and could bring some cool stuff, But I can't do the 28th. If you did it on the 21st, I'd be totally down. But if it stays on the 28th, I'll just try for next time.

10. I can make it for the 28th Keith.
    I have some trade packages arriving next week so I'll have some fantastic shares coming,

Also if anyone would be interested in a trade of some beers at that time we should look into doing something like that... (although that might not work and we might end up drinking them...)

11. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Sent you a message before but if you didn't get it, I'm in for the 28th but not 21st. Have plenty of great beer from stouts sours or barleywines.

12. No plus 1, just me.

13. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (400) Washington Oct 17, 2010

either day is good for me...count me in.

14. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Wish I didn't work, I'd love to come and meet folks.

15. Count me in

16. I am going to stop by the storage unit soon to see what all i got and what i will break out for the tasting...i will keep you posted

17. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

Still room for one more? I'd be interested in joining in!

18. for sure, I think we are at around 7 or 8 right now

19. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

Awesome. I'm definitely in then... be great to meet other BAs and share some of my bottles.

20. podunkparte

Is the 28th official for this one? Are we going by the poll at the top for a Sour tasting or are we just going to have an all-around good beer day?

Let us know how many people are officially going so we can figure out a good amount of beer for everyone to bring.

Thanks

21. yes, the tasting will be on saturday april 28th at 1pm at the seattle wine storage, there is no set beer style just bring something good. Right now we have about 8 people, i want to limit it to around 12 to 15 max. Bring as much beer as you want but i would recommend no more than 2 or 3 bottles each...and bring food if you want

22. bfg75

Is there still space? I may be able to get off work and would love to come.

23. ya there is still room, pretty much the same as stated above...
    I am looking through my storage unit right now to see what I will break out for the tasting, maybe a vertical of cherry adam from the wood, maybe a vertical of abyss, some cascade sours, not sure yet

bfg75 likes this.
  24. bfg75

I'm definitely in and I'll try to bring something interesting.

25. bfg75

Can't edit my previous comment but my wife would like to come as well if that isn't an issue.

26. that should be cool man, I look forward to seeing everyone.

27. I might be down. Don't think I'm going to make DLD, so gotta find something to do with my time. Let me know if there's spots still available.

28. Ya you should be good to go, I think that makes it around 12 people so i will prob cut it off soon, maybe 1 or 2 more

29. yeah it gets pretty packed over 12-15

30. I can make a spreadsheet that everyone can post what they're bringing so we don't get multiples... Unless it's something amazing.

bfg75 likes this.
  31. Please do make a link to a spread sheet if you can...

Also, the entrance to seattle wine storage is on denny way and terry ave, there is a parking lot at the corner there and the front of seattle wine storage has a loading dock and concrete walkway. Call me at 206-419-8468 when you are at the front door and i will let you in. Parking may be a slight problem, there may be room for a couple spots max in the parking lot (they are assigned spots with threats of a tow but I rarely see anyone there) but if you don't want to pay for street parking you may want to drop off your beer (and food) at the tasting then go try and park somewhere nearby that is free or 2 hour parking. The tasting is sat april 28th at 1pm. Call me if you have any further questions.

32. Can you make a list of attendees? With their BA name.

33. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

He can put it in a spreadsheet and send it to you.
    Sorry - couldn't resist. I'm just jealous that I won't be there.

34. bfg75

If we have a few things that we *could* bring but are unsure of what people want should we just post them here and get feedback? I was thinking of bringing 3 bottles since my wife is coming too and there are some options as far as what I can offer.

35. bfg75

I added 2 things I'll definitely bring and three options for the third...so feedback on that one would be appreciated.

36. bfg75: my vote is for Zombie Dust. Love me some Sculpin, but never tried the other two... All three would be good though.

Any feedback from you guys for what I should bring? What haven't people had? What do people want to have at this tasting?

50/50 Concentrated Evil
    Big Sky Ivan the Terrible 2010
    Left Hand Wake Up Dead 2011
    Boulder Killer Penguin Barleywine 2010
    Abyss 9, 10, 11
    Black Butte XXIII

37. bfg75

I'd personally love to try the Ivan and Wake Up Dead.

38. podunkparte

Sorry guys. I don't think I can get the day off from work so I'm gonna have to back out. Hope you guys have fun. Look forward to meeting some of you another time.

39. Sounds fun but I have to back out of this one.