Seattle, PDX, Bend beer trip -- lesser-known places

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by beerinmaine, Feb 24, 2013.

1. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I'm planning a beer trip to Seattle, Bend, and PDX in early May. I've been to Seattle and Portland before and there's plenty written about Bend, so I'll have no trouble finding the right places in the cities. I'm looking for recommendations on lesser-known places in/near those cities, or on/near the route between, which I might otherwise miss. Hidden gem breweries, out-of-the-way bottle shops, you know the places. The kind of places you usually hear about from the guy a the bar "You've GOTTA go here...", the night before you leave when there's no time left.

Thanks!

flexabull likes this.
  2. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Not lesser known around here: Hood River. And don't overlook Everybody's brewing on the Washington side.

3. Latona Pub in Seattle. Often overlooked in favor of Brouwers, Pine Box, etc.

Great laid back vibe with great food and a killer taplist.

bifrost17 likes this.
  4. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

+1000 to Hood River. Stop there, stay there, even if you have to take time away from Bend.

5. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Pfriem Brewing and Logsdon, in the HR area..
    http://farmhousebeer.com/
    http://pfriembeer.com/

of course, visit the "standards" there, Double Mountain & Everybody's (White Salmon)...and perhaps even Full Sail and Big Horse. On the way back, hit Walking Man in Stevenson, WA.

kpacedo and beerinmaine like this.
  6. In Bend, Market of Choice is a great place for bottles. I've heard good things about Brother John's Pub too.

7. I like Hood River, but I would not go there to take time from Bend. Boneyard, Bend, Deschutes, Crux, GoodLife, Ale Apothecary, etc...

8. It's Newport Ave Market in Bend, not Market of Choice. My mistake.

9. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

You can get most of the Bend offerings in Portland though. To me it's more about where I'd rather spend time.

checktherhyme likes this.
  10. NWer

Make the first stop in Bend the Travel Bureau and inquire about the Ale Trail. Lots of new breweries though so might not be kept up to date. Yet, a good starting point.
    Don't sacrifice Bend for Hood River. Schedule enough time for both.

flexabull likes this.
  11. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

In PDX, Beaumont Market is a somewhat under-the-radar bottle shop.

If you do go to Hood River, I recommend stopping at Solera in Parkdale. It'll be on your way to Bend from HR anyway, and there aren't many brewpubs that can beat the view.

[​IMG]

RedMedicine, NWer, beertunes and 3 others like this.
  12. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

On the South side of Seattle, there's a little cluster of breweries, so you could hit a lot in a short amount of time. Emerald City, Schooner Exact, Two Beers, Big Al and Georgetown are all near each other. If you've never hit Big Time in the U-District, you should find time for them. Naked City too. Hood River/White Salmon is a nice way to spend a beery day on your way to Bend.

NWer likes this.
  13. beerinmaine

Thanks all, sounds like Hood River is definitely on the list for the Seattle>Bend leg of the trip. Now the only question is how long I spend there :)

14. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (455) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

In Bend, call ahead to Paul at Ale Apothacary and see if he's available for a tour. It's 10 miles out of Bend, but worth the trip. He's doing some truly unique things there.

On your way from Bend to PDX, its not much extra to head to Corvallis and Block 15. Check out Corvallis Brewing Supply and ask if they've put out anything recently from their cellar. Then swing over to the Market of Choice before heading north.

If you get thirsty on I-5, Albany has Calipooia, about 5 miles off freeway. Decent. In Salem, Santiam is new and struggling to find their rythm, buy their coconut rum stout is decent. Outside of that, not much on the corridor.

In PDX, just read the other threads. Nothing much not already pointed out. If you're into whiskey, then I'll put in a plug for my local place, the Highland Still House in Oregon City.

beerinmaine likes this.
  15. If you're looking for a stop after you leave Seattle and are heading down towards Oregon, I can't suggest The Red Hot or The Parkway Tavern in Tacoma enough. Or, the Eastside Tavern in Olympia. All great spots.

beerinmaine and NWer like this.
  16. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (265) California Nov 24, 2009

I tried looking for a tasting room on the Logsdon website and couldn't determine if they have one... Heading up to Hood River for biz Mar 13-15 and definitely plan on swinging by if I can.

17. For Logsdon's "tasting room", call the phone # here; you will likely get either brewer, Dave (Logsdon) or Chuck (Porter). There is no official tasting room, more a small counter with most bottles for sale... get a 'tour' and you may get to taste a bottle or two or three. Kinda depends how much time they (and you) have... let's just call it "informal"... but worth the relatively short drive from HR if you can coordinate schedules.

beerinmaine and NWer like this.
  18. NWer

Sometimes I get so wound up pimping Oregon I always have such a good time there I forget locals who deserve a mention. If you have the time, take the ferry to the Kitsap Peninsula via Edmonds or downtown Seattle and head to Poulsbo. There you will find a cluster of two breweries worth visiting. First and foremost, Sound Brewing. More under the radar is Valholl. Totally under the radar.

beerinmaine and beertunes like this.
  19. beertunes

And, if you do go over to the OlyPen, hitting up Silver City in Silverdale is a must.

flexabull and NWer like this.
  20. I enjoyed Apex Bar while I was down in Portland. If you don't mind spending you can get some amazing bottles. I picked up Fou Foune, Berserker, HotD vintage, ton of Russian River and there was no corkage fee. Not to mention 50 taps. In Seattle I would check out Stumbling Monk if you end up going to Pine Box. It's up the street and its a pretty mellow atmosphere.

21. Whole Foods Pearl District in Portland had MOAS on the shelf. Quite a few other gems. Worth checking out if its a bottle vacation.

beerinmaine likes this.
  22. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

Seven Brides Brewery, Silverton OR...
    Great atmosphere, even better beers

23. beerinmaine

Perfect, sounds like my kind of place.

I started visiting farmhouse breweries at Oxbow 15 months ago - they didn't have any counter, just one of those cheap 3-level plastic shelves you buy at Walmart, stuck in a corner of the brewery. It was great. :)

24. beerinmaine

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Looks like the plan will be:

3 days in Seattle, with a possible day trip across to the peninsula by ferry
    Then on to Hood River area for a day and a night
    Then to Bend for 2 days and nights
    Then on to Portland for 4 days, with some day trips from possibly including Astoria or others

beertunes and flexabull like this.

25. I think I remember seeing Fou' Foune there earlier this year ... for $75 a bottle. Christ, I would hope there was no corkage fee on top of that.

26. i
    They're including corkage in the price. Not like you can find it anywhere else though.

27. If that's the case, then I wouldn't exactly say Apex has "no corkage fee." Must be why the Pliny bottles I bought there a couple of years ago were well above the price anywhere else.

I know you can't find Fou anywhere else, but bristled at that price knowing I had just paid like 8 euro in Belgium a couple of months before. Seemed excessive, but then again, I have no idea how much that bottle cost Apex to get.

Not ragging on Apex at all, BTW. I've enjoyed all of my stops there.

28. It's possible they didn't get them through regular distribution. They may have mail ordered them from one I'd those Belgian direct sites. In that case the retail mark up would put the bottles well above a normal price. I don't really care either way as I bought Fou Foune for a coworker. I would never spend $75 on a beer

29. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (680) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

fou foune and pliny, among others, do make it to portland distribution. they just tend to go faster everywhere else because most folks price things like FF around $25 and PtE around $6...

jgrgas likes this.
  30. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

"If you're into whiskey, then I'll put in a plug for my local place, the Highland Still House in Oregon City"

+1 to this. The food and beer selection isn't half bad at Stillhouse either, but it's their single malt collection that really sets them apart IMHO. If you stop by on a nice day (good chance in May), they have a very nice outdoor patio dining area as well.

31. beertunes

Make sure to say Hi to Doug at Everybody's in White Salmon, he's a great guy. Please post a trip recap when you get home. We get so many of these requests, and rarely do folks ever come back and tell how things went. Cheers, and have a great time!

32. When in Seattle, head on up to Bothell/Woodinville. You can check out Foggy Noggin Brewing, Briickyard Brewing, Dirty Bucket, Triplehorn, Twelve Bars, RedHook and in Redmond you have Black Raven and Mac & Jacks. Wow! That is making me thirsty. Not all these places are open everyday, so plan ahead.

33. You can now add Machine House Brewing to the list.

beertunes likes this.
  34. Please check beerfly and beer reviews before making this trek...just sayin....

35. Homer input. Tacoma.
    Red Hot
    Parkway Tavern
    Pint Defiance
    E-9 Brewing
    Harmon Taproom
    Tacoma Brewing
    Check it out. Legit.

beertunes likes this.
  36. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (265) California Nov 24, 2009

Thanks again for the info! Made it out late in the day Wed met and sampled a couple with Chuck including choco-bretta (tasty!). Very cool laid back experience with world class views along the way. Snagging a couple peche n bretts and some oak bretta didn't suck either! Thanks PNW! Also snagged a seizon-bretta at PDX, what a beer-centric airport.

msubulldog25 likes this.
  37. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (390) Washington Jun 24, 2012

Take the Bainbridge ferry over and visit Bainbridge Island Brewing and then Poulsbo is just a short drive from there. BI brewing is less than a year old, but also makes very good beer. Slippery Pig is in Poulsbo also, but I find their beer strange. And not in a good way.

38. ENnoyed Raven quite a bit. Also in Redmond is Malt & Vine...some nice taps & lots of bottles.