1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Seattle Whale Tasting - Condensed

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by waltersrj, Apr 25, 2012.

1. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Hey BA's! Mages64 (Dan) started a thread for this that got a little off topic so I thought I'd condense the info and restart the thread.

Dan and I want to have a 6 person max whale tasting later this year. We are looking for beers similar to our own to open with everyone!

We have:
    50n4e
    J&J Blauw
    J&J Rooz
    Brabantiae
    Millenium Gueuze

Also: We wouldn't mind cracking some lesser whales such as:
    Wanderer
    BA Speedway
    BA Yeti
    Etc.

Ideally we are looking for Cantillon and 3F rarities, Rare American sours, barleywines, and imperial stouts.
    Things along the lines of:
    Pikkulinuns
    Reed Gueuzes
    Soleil
    Dave
    M
    Dirty Horse
    Framboos
    BA Old Salty
    Wooden Hell
    3F 50th Anniversary
    Etc.

If you feel like you have something along those lines to bring to the table feel free to BM:
    Ryan (waltersrj)
    Dan (Mages64)

We do not have an exact date yet but are figuring out who to get in touch with at the appropriate time.

Cheers,
    Ryan and Dan

2. waltersrj

Any interest at all?

3. Interest... yes.

Possession of:

Pikkulinuns
    Reed Gueuzes
    Soleil
    Dave
    M
    Dirty Horse
    Framboos
    BA Old Salty
    Wooden Hell
    3F 50th Anniversary

Not so much

4. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Yeah, that list is fairly prohibitive. Even the lesser whales such as Cable Car Kriek aren't exactly easy to come by, and even those don't seem to have landed in a lot of laps up here in the PNW.

5. waltersrj

I apologize, did not mean to exclude so many beers. Anything on the White Whale list would be considered. Shoot me a BM if you have beer(s) on the list or something you'd like to see if we'd accept. We want this to be an amazing and small tasting for 6 people! Thank you for your comments!

Ryan

6. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Ryan, is the "official" whale list posted somewhere like the bad trader list?

7. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

8. ptr

ptr Aspirant (30) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

I posted in Mages' thread, and if this coincides with Seattle Beer Week, I'd love to meet up with some locals and share a breadth of midwest locals and whales. I'll be in town the 16th-22nd of May, visiting from Chicago. I'll keep an ear and eye to this forum, and if anyone wants to meet up (should this not coincide), please contact me on here. Plenty of highly sought GI and 3F amongst other locals. I plan on moving to the area in the fall, and would love to find a good group of BAs with whom I can share my cellar and passion, while learning the ins and outs of a new community.

9. waltersrj

Hello,
    I believe we're trying to plan it for the fall! Keep in touch with us until then. We will be at all the fun events for SBW so perhaps we shall meet! Have a great day!

10. waltersrj

Brian,
    I have it linked on my profile but a kind sir already provided it! :)

11. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

BM sent.