1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Seattle Whale tasting!

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Mages64, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Hello everyone! Myself and Waltersrj are looking to have an epic super tasting or two and we are wondering who in the Seattle/Portland/Vancouver area might be interested in coming to an epic tasting. The main thing we are looking for is crazy white whales you'd like to pop open along with us! Most of our stuff consists of rare ass cantillon and drie fontienen stuff. We'd love to see who else is whale watching in this area and wants to share and try some awesome stuff.
    Thoughts?
    Peace,
    Dan

2. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Whale watching: yes. Whale catching: not so much.

djbreezy, Shmeal and doughanson78 like this.
  3. Mages64

Yeah... The crazy thing is I've gotten most of my whales in the past 6 months!:) whale catching is a game of luck not skill;)

4. podunkparte

I guess I could just trade my King Henry for the top 5 on the Whale list :cool:

davey101 likes this.
  5. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

When/where? I live in bham and have some good stuff I would be wiling to share.

beertunes likes this.
  6. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

bham? me too! how have we not had a tasting yet?

beertunes likes this.
  7. Mages64

We could do it anywhere at any time:) i'm just looking for some people to start the ball rolling:) I need to know who is interested first :p

8. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

We used to do a monthly tasting in Bellingham, at the Green Frog, a couple years ago, but it kinda fell apart. If you guys are interested in doing a tasting I know some guys who aren't on BA who always have good stuff laying around, it wouldn't be too hard to put together a 10-15 person tasting. If you want to do this, shoot me a message and I'll start talking to folks and finding a spot.

9. I would be interested. What kinda whales are we talking about here?

10. Mages64

Sweet! Well the kind of stuff we have currently includes:
    J&J Roze
    J&J Blauw
    Millenium Gueuze
    50N4E
    Brabantiae
    and lots of other not as crazy whales like Wanderer, McKenzie Vatour, and more. Is that the kind of thing you'd be into? :)

11. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

how many people? is there a limit?

12. Mages64

Probably max 10 and more like 8. 3oz pours sounds good to me. Ideally only 6 people so we do 4oz pours:) [​IMG]

djbreezy likes this.
  13. Nice! Mages, shoot me a message and let me know I can bring.

14. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I am extremely excited for this! Also, depending on how the Unwanted Whales BIF round 2 goes I could be bringing something else besides Blauw and 50n4e. I think our list so far is pretty sweet between 2 people!
    Also, besides the White Whales I could bring something(s) like: BA Speedway, BA Yeti, CR, etc.

Dan,
    Let me know who we might be having to this thing!

15. podunkparte

Damn. I envy the guy who gets to slam all the dregs in a row of bottles and pass out on the floor after this one! ;)

16. waltersrj

Brian,
    I plan on making a super whale called "Blazentium 50" and either trading it for a mix 6 of Dave and M or dying from consuming its awesomeness!

17. waltersrj

PS- I'd like to only have 6 people in order to have good sized pours! 4 oz of everything would be really nice!

18. podunkparte

Maybe even a King Henry if you're lucky

19. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

So let me get this straight...you have a King Henry?!

20. podunkparte

Yeah but I'm thinking about trading it for the Lost Abbey brewery.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  21. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Not worth it, King Henry is carbonated

22. podunkparte

Yeah but when I'm in charge down there I'll at least be willing to accept my mistakes instead of pretending it was all intended to be flat in the first place.

23. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

The forum appears on what's new...might not wanna say which beers you have. I now know which two are your submissions;)

24. Urbancaver

Urbancaver Advocate (520) Ohio Nov 13, 2009

Probably you won't have something else besides Blauw and 50N.... way to overvalue those like a MoFo in the BIF!

25. waltersrj

Really? I put 9 beers in front of one and 11 in front of the other! I love my one off Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen's and really mostly want lambic/Gueuze in return. I thought most of my choices really weren't far off value wise! Oh well, that's the nature of the BIF I guess :)

26. Urbancaver

Urbancaver Advocate (520) Ohio Nov 13, 2009

well.. Blauw and 50N are coming in down around 20th on the list

27. waltersrj

I love the subjective nature of beer value! Well if nothing works out for me this round i'll put something else in next time (Unwanted 3.0)! Thanks for running this thing Cam! I'm excited to see what Uber Whales actually trade!

28. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

If that the case then I won't be matched for sure. Time to sign up for Unwanted Whales 3.0 or International Unwanted Whales.

29. ptr

ptr Aspirant (30) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

To the OP: please bm me. I'm a Chicago transplant, looking to move to Seattle, and will be in town May 16-22. This conveniently overlaps with Seattle Beer Week, and I plan to have a 2nd suitcase full of locals, including some of my cellar's better parts (which after sharing and emptying, can bring home a bunch of Deschutes and RR for friends). I really want to spend one of my evenings getting to know some locals, as I look to continue my quest in the craft beer scene. If this event happens to coincide with my travel dates, I would love to match some midwest whales (yea, probably even those) with a bunch of sours and northwest whales.