1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

See ya sixer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Uniobrew31, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 40 pack of Founders Porter in cans.....works for me!
    Extravadanza, Uniobrew31 and evilc like this.
  2. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Bring on the nip pack!
  3. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Just invest in buying a few of these Uerige Sticke beers and reuse the bottles...
    [​IMG]
    Make sure you pour the beer into the flip-top bottle for fridge storage right away, then enjoy the rest. This was week old Black Xantus!!
    JxExM likes this.
  4. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Dishonest?

Have you encountered a 4-pack labeled as a 6-pack with two empty bottles?

Otherwise there's nothing dishonest about anything.
    SadMachine likes this.
  5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Direct contact and refraining from purchasing four packs. This will get their attention if it is consistent and done in significant numbers.

BA's may be the most passionate but they are simply the vocal minority. A large portion of a breweries customers are unaware of many BA type movements (freshness, anti four packs/bottles) and are not going to care. Even when you get into the BA crowd the majority do not want to do any more than sit at a keyboard and complain on a forum. You will get a few who may send an email but even less will change their buying habits. We as consumers to a mighty poor job at giving breweries incentive to change.
    Uniobrew31 likes this.
  6. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Just think of how much easier trading with other BA's would be if there were more beers in can format. They are lighter and won't break.
  7. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Better for the beer, better for shipping, better all around.
    Ri0 likes this.
  8. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

sorry but I happen to prefer the 4pack size.

Also I think the best craft beers out there are underpriced and frankly I'm GD tired of having to deal with all of the problems with places selling out so much, so fast, etc. I'd rather just pay a few bucks more and not have such a hard time to get what I want. Craft beer is still insanely cheap for being able to buy best of the best at a relatively low price compared to best of the best for Scotch, wine, etc.
    SadMachine likes this.
  9. In the context of thread, what is frustrating for me is that in my area most times I only have a choice between singles or cases. Wegman's is my biggest local retail outlet for craft six packs, but if they don't carry the particular brew I am looking for, I'll have to buy it in single or case.

Value wise, the case is much better deal versus buying singles (sometimes at $4.50/$5.50 per), but then I have to make sure it's something I'll enjoy as I'll have 24 of them.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Generally I agree with this, love the beer can format, just think the jury is still out if they age beer as well as bottles, especially larger format bottles.
  11. cavedave

I love folks who complain that things should cost more.
    elephantrider and denver10 like this.
  12. yemenmocha

Come on you know what I'm saying - there's a bigger problem on the table which is supply relative to the demand, and in the big picture beer is still really cheap.
  13. cavedave

I would wish you had more patience and energy before wishing breweries would raise prices. Would have same result.
  14. yemenmocha

Not sure what you mean. The 2nd trip to the store is more gas than an extra few bucks on the sixpack, plus the time & hassle value.

I know it's easy for you and others to object with the higher prices argument, but I think it's just completely out of place when prices are artificially low in the first place. Brewers could be charging more and selling out just as fast, especially the rare releases. DogfishHead is closer to fair market price than most brewers, and they still have a major supply problem. Yet so many brewers are so much cheaper than DFH, and often have beers that are just as coveted.
    cavedave likes this.
  15. 'Gansett is doing all their beers in 16oz. cans x 6 packs. I like that. But we could do better

Just remember, it all breaks down to making a profit. Costs are not the same for each brew and brewer, and some are trying to profit more than others. In America, it's religion. To wit; the 16 oz. pint vs. the imperial 20oz. pint, and the glassware in England is marked with the 20oz. fill line, and the glass leaves room for the head. In America the pint glass is 16 oz. at the very top. If the pour has any head then you get 13 or 14 oz. tops. As long as no one is complaining....

England has CAMRA looking out for its beer drinkers. They pushed for legislation to actually make sure that you got your full pint. We could get of our a**** and at least push for some fairness. They charge us for what passes as a pint, we should at least get it.
  16. Dishonest may be a bit strong but... They are selling four beers for the price of six. That's some brewery saying "if we give them less they will think its better" that's is taking advantage of the beer advocates who respect beer and will support the small brewery. That's a bad move.
  17. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

4 packs are too litte. I don't like getting loaded off of craft beer (sometimes I do) but 4 packs are still not enough. I have to go to the store every other night to replenish and shop around. Craft brewers should stick to 6 packs and nothing else because anything higher would be too expensive
  18. kzoobrew

You are putting a lot of words into breweries mouths. What about the brewery who changes to four packs but does not change the case price? Blanket statements about the big bad breweries don't work here.

Let's not act like all consumers are oblivious either. Most of us know whats up. If someone if completely oblivious they may be "tricked" the first time but they will soon make up their mind about if it is worth it to them.

Complain about the value you are getting if you want but let's not turn this into the breweries taking advantage of us. Bad argument to make, no one is harmed here.
  19. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

I can be a cheap bastard. Some times a growler is less cost, some times six pack, and some times different size bottles.

I do the math and tell my fav beer dude that I have beat his system. He then laughs

Quick question....I am a noob. How does one check messages on this site?

Thanks.
  20. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

well considering four packs harbor the liquid of two bomber (usually for the same price), i agree. not to mention, it gives me four chances to drink the beer as opposed to one. i think the biggest thing with four packs is that most of these beers are usually higher in abv and more espensive to produce, thus cost more.
    Bear1964 likes this.
  21. Bear1964

Bear1964 Savant (305) Nebraska Dec 12, 2012

I'm with you on the singles, I love to sample different beer in a sitting...found some real treasures that way.
    BB1313 likes this.
  22. Bear1964

Bear1964 Savant (305) Nebraska Dec 12, 2012

. Top right corner...it says inbox...and welcome to a great site.
  23. I am just this moment (before going in to make dinner) finishing my first ever "stovepipe" (19.2 oz) of Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale, canned at their new facility in North Carolina. This is an awesome, perfect serving size for a 6.5% ABV beer. It's right on the money - I could drink one of these every day after work and not be left either wanting for more like I often do after a 12 oz or feeling too full and hazy as I sometimes do after 24 oz.

And, a stovepipe of Ten Fidy would be perfect for the weekend.
  24. JessicaLeigh

JessicaLeigh Aspirant (40) Jan 23, 2013

Agreed about the cost and alcohol content of a 4. I don't mind a four or six- but really love mixing up a 6- especially if you can put one or two of those "only in a 4" bottles into your mixed 6. The larger bottles are good if you are with friends and you both want to drink the same thing. I don't particularly care for companies that only make the large bottles though. Berkshire Brewing Company does this. Their beers only come in 22oz, growler, or on tap which is a bummer.
  25. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Why are they morons? What if $14 means I'll buy four of your beers, and $21 means I won't buy a single one? You lose, brewer.

And if you're not offering sixers any more and I really like your beer, maybe I'll spend $28 on two four packs instead.

Morons? Seems like a pretty good idea to me, actually.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  26. the breweries are taking advantage. they are selling four for the price of six...how is that not taking advantage. four pack no more. i dont care if its the best beer on the planet.
  27. no but I have encountered 4 packs priced as a six pack. maybe its not the brewers but something sucks about four packs i dont buy em, bombers are a rarity for me as well. has to be something really rare.
  28. Thoughts on the New Belgium Shift 4-pack? I want them to be tall boys and I want them to be sold in a sixer. Those cans are not tall boys...[​IMG]
  29. I like to think I'm far from a moron.
    I pay attention to unit cost.

And I would agree with you if we're talking beer that isn't going to deteriorate quickly or beer that I'm going to consume in a short period of time.

But I like the idea of buying a 4pk of APA, IPA, and/or DIPA.

Yeah, I know.
    I just said I'd rather have 4 bottles instead of 6.

:eek:
  30. kzoobrew

Some breweries are selling cases at the same price, distributors are maintaining four packs and six pack prices. In those cases we are looking at misplaced blame here.

It takes two parties to complete a purchase, a buyer and a seller. When the transaction is completed at the register there is an understanding between the two parties as to what is being sold and what is being bought. The customer obviously knows they are being four beer and by purchasing the beers they are agreeing that the price is fair, by fair I mean one that the buyer is willing to pay. Of course we'd all like to pay less for just about everything we buy but nothing is getting cheaper these days. We don't have to like it but let's not throw breweries under the bus needlessly.
  31. beerinmaine

Ummm. You really think the 6-pack version would still be at the same price, if they still offered it?

No, of course not; 6 would cost more than 4.

Be real. The price of things goes up sometimes. (except Bigfoot, which cost less this year...)
  32. beerinmaine

This is simple: there's a price marked on the damn thing. If the price is too much, don't buy it. There are plenty of other things in the store. And plenty of others who want the expensive things you don't want.

At my beer store anyway, 4 bottles from a case costs 4/24ths the price of the case, and 6 bottles costs 6/24ths the price of the case, regardless of whether they're packaged in 4-pack cardboard or 6-pack cardboard. Pretty simple math.
    brooklynbrews likes this.
  33. Not at my beerstore. I dont know if its the brewers or the sellers but could the world not agree that 6 is better than 4? I have no problem paying 9 bucks for a four pack of murphys or guinness 16 oz. but 12 for a FBS four pack of 12 oz? its not that much better!!! and i will not buy it. lets not forget it is: water, malt, yeast and hops. maybe a little oatmeal, coffee, toffee or spice in some cases. this is not an expensive beverage to make. I think that beer lovers should unite on this issue and quit the 4 pack in favor of brands that are sold as six. thats why I wrote the post.
  34. beerinmaine

So, basically, you don't like, or choose to pay for, better beers. That's fine. That's your personal choice, not the brewers' fault. Please enjoy your Guinness and Murphys, leaving more FBS and FIS for me.

If you seriously think a 10.5% beer should cost the same or similar to a 3.5% beer, you have no concept of how beer is made or what costs are involved. And that's OK too, until you start complaining about it.
  35. I make beer, I love beer. you have no concept of how beer is imported thats ok until you start sounding off like a pompous snob. but keep buying bombers and four packs if you like. why dont you back your ass up to founders doorstep so they can fuck you over proper!
  36. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Good, more for me. In my own opinion, Murphys is to Founders Breakfast Stout as a '78 Pinto is to a 2013 Ferrari.
    VonZipper likes this.
  37. From my understanding the 4 packs are becoming more and more common now for brewery's so that they can get more of they're better selling beers or BIG beers on the shelf as apposed to shipping out 6 packs and them flying off the shelves and stores running out quicker. I was discussing this with a department manager at one of the stores I frequent. We were talking about why Bigfoot had switched from 6 to 4.

Either way, if this is the case I'm all for it. I like seeing more of stuff that's usually a pain in the ass to get year after year.
  38. beerinmaine

What?

Please, stop posting while drunk.
  39. The real tragedy is start up local microbreweries stuck selling bombers for $8 or $9 because bottling lines are too expensive and they need to find a profit. I just can't justify paying that much for an unproven <6% beer.
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

YES, I deal w/the fours but would prefer sixers especially if I enjoy the stuff...like FBS