1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Seeking suggestions for a beer run from Montreal to Delaware

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BorealTJ, Jan 3, 2013.

1. BorealTJ

BorealTJ Initiate (20) Oct 10, 2012

I am planning a road trip to visit Dogfish Head brewery in Delaware, leaving from Montreal, Quebec Canada. I wondered if anyone might have suggestions for great breweries or stores that we could stop at on the way. Specifically, I am looking for places to pick up beer to go so that I can bring as much as I can home with me!

We'll be driving through Vermont, New York state near Albany, through to New York city, with a stop in Philadelphia and ending in Rehoboth Beach in DE.

Also, if you're a kind soul willing to lend a suggestion who lives in this part of the country, why not tell me what your favorite local beers are! The BA top beer listing is great but, I realize that most of those are one-off's that are never available. Any suggestions of great, readily available beers would be greatly appreciated!

Share some of your country with us! We don't get American craft beers in Quebec.

2. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (385) Delaware Jan 14, 2007

I can chime in on the DE/PA piece with two shouldn't miss suggestions.

First, on I-95 in DE, drive past the Route 1 exit (which will take you to Rehoboth) about 10 miles to Elkton MD and hit State Line Liquors to stock up on bottles of all sorts. You may not need another stop after State Line. GREAT beer store. It's a fairly quick drive past Rte 1, but you'll probably spend an hour or two in the store. Worth the "detour."

Second: venture maybe 40 minutes driving time round trip off I-95 on your way home to stop at Tired Hands Brewing in Ardmore PA. Get a few tasters to figure out which growler or two or three to take home. Solid solid brewery. Worth spending the night in Philly for... but it's not in Philly proper and not necessarily easy to get to by public transport, so location should be taken into consideration. Oh, and hours. They open at 3PM, which isn't always convenient.

Have fun!

larryi86, FlyingKelly and BorealTJ like this.
  3. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Stop at the Hill Farmstead brewery in Vermont. I've never been, but I plan on going in July and I personally can't wait. However, it may be out of your way. You may be better off trying Lawson's Finest Liquids in Vermont because it's closer to the NY line than HF.​

BorealTJ likes this.
  4. andthevolcano

andthevolcano Savant (425) Delaware Apr 22, 2008

Agree completely on State Line. Also if you have time, Victory's brewpub is not too far from Philly...

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  5. BorealTJ

@ jwjon1 - Great suggestions! Thanks for the info. I will add it to the list and report back when we're back home with our haul :)

@ RichD - Hill Farmstead looks great. Thanks for the suggestions.

6. FlyingKelly

FlyingKelly Savant (250) Texas Nov 28, 2012

When in Delaware, near where you're going to get on Rt. 1, Stewarts Brewpub is off Rt. 40. It's in a simple strip mall, but they make some really good beer and pretty good food too (if Stumblin' Monk is on tap get it - and let someone else drive). The other option is Two Stones Pub. Nice rotating selection of craft draft (best in DE in my opinion) and outstanding food!

larryi86 likes this.
  7. Do Hill Farmstead and The alchemist in VT. Not much to see, but AMAZING beer. VT also has Harpoon and Longtrail if your interested in some of the bigger guys

8. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

Well the big three in VT are a MUST (Hill, Lawson's and Alchemist), Otter Creek has been steppIng up their game recently and are now my goto of the larger VT brewers, they also brew/bottle The Shed and Wolavers so you get to check out a lot. Magic Hat is generally crappy beer IMO but some of the brewery only on tap offerings can be ok.

If I were you I would just take all the $ you plan on spending on your trip and spend it at Du Di Ciel (sp?). You have one of the best breweries on the PlANET right in your backyard. But seriously enjoy your trip.

9. FlyingKelly

FlyingKelly Savant (250) Texas Nov 28, 2012

Are you going to the brewery in Milton and the pub in Rehoboth? Both are totally worth it.

10. BorealTJ

LOL! :) Glad to hear that you like DDC (Dieu du Ciel). You're right, it is awesome! It is regularly stocked in my fridge - by the way, their quad, Rigor Mortis, is being released this month! 5 out of 5! - but, I am curious about the American craft beer scene. Can't wait to see what's available and blog about it later. Check out http://beerism.wordpress.com/ if you'd like to see some of our other local offerings.

Thanks for the great suggestions. :)

[​IMG]

11. I hear Forest & Main in Ambler, PA is making some tasty good brews.

12. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

You would be doing yourself a great disservice if you did not stop at The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's Finest Liquids in VT. You MUST stop there. I'm actually planning a trip up to Montreal from Boston, with stops at those

13. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I trip through VT to some of the places already named is a must.

I am not sure how you may snake your way down, but if you are passing through Philly - Monk's for Belgian, and if you want to hit a well reviewed and liked place outside of Philly I "hear" good things about: and that is Capone's Restaurant in Norristown PA (although that's a bit of a detour) which has a great bottle shop, and a good tap list from what I hear, cant comment on the food. It might be a good detour coming down on 276 because I really hate that stretch of I-95.

I'll also thumbs up many of the other places mentioned already. Love the Rehoboth Beach Dogfish pub, and hey man it's the beach (when in season of course)!

14. If you're coming down I-95 make Neshaminy Creek Brewing (http://neshaminycreekbrewing.com/) a stop.
    It's about a mile off the Street Road exit which is about 25 minutes north of Philly.
    They're only open limited hours (check the website) but they have a free tasting room and you can buy growlers
    of any of their beers. Excellent stuff.

15. Noticed a couple mentioned Lawson's Finest. Just a reminder that you can't actually get beer there. You need to go to the Warren Store in Warren, Hunger mountain coop in Montpelier, or Beverage Warehouse in Winooski. Good luck, it is hit or miss with them but worth it.

Also, Hill Farmstead is out of the way, but you will kick yourself if you don't make the detour. The Alchemist is easy to get to, right off the highway.

16. lillygirl

lillygirl Disciple (50) Delaware Oct 24, 2010

You can't lose stopping at other Delaware breweries along your way to Rehoboth, including the already mentioned Stewart's in Bear, Twin Lakes in Greenville, Fordham and Old Dominion in Dover, 16 Mile in Georgetown and the newly opened 3rd Wave in Delmar. I continue to be more and more impressed with the level of brews coming out of our great state!

jdnovato and benart like this.
  17. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (325) Maryland Mar 7, 2010

I'll add a second vote for Twin Lakes in Greenville, DE and while you are down as far as Rehobeth head west and visit Evolution across the line in MD

18. Make sure you go down route 89 in Vermont to exit 10. That's where the alchemist cannery is literally a couple hundred yards from the Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory. I'd just drive to downtown Waterbury and fill up on the alchemist, hill farmstead and Lawson's at blackback pub, the taproom and prohibition pig. They will have a great representation of the three brands but watch out! After you have had a pint of heady topper(will be there for sure), hill farmstead "Abner"(usually at at least one place) and a Lawsons "double sunshine ipa", "hopzilla" or whatever one you run into its gonna be real tough to drive anywhere.
    These three places are literally on the same block within 50 yards of each other. If you don't stop here you may as well just stay home and shotgun Budweiser while smoking bath salts. You'd be crazy not to stop.

benart likes this.