1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Self bottle waxing

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by M1A2, Dec 22, 2012.

1. M1A2

M1A2 Member

This may be more for looks than long term cellaring but I just did my two MZ and NE, it was super easy and looks bad ass! Lets see some of your self waxing jobs. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. unibroue4ever

unibroue4ever Member

Wicked! Don't want to be lazy, but any link how to do this?
  3. unibroue4ever

unibroue4ever Member

nevermind, got it!
  4. M1A2

M1A2 Member

I can't be the only one that has done this right??
  5. DruckusB

DruckusB Member

Actually getting ready to do this for some homebrew, yours turned out looking great!
  6. ncaudle

ncaudle Member

haven't done it with commercial beers but I do it for my cellarable homebrews.

one piece of advice - some commercial beers vintages, like that BA Naked Evil, is determined by its cap color. if you're going to wax it you should mark the bottle somehow for future reference so you know what vintage it is. (in the case of your B.A.N.E. white cap = 2011, black cap = 2012)
  7. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Member

Have done this for 2 homebrew batches. Never for commercial brews.
  8. M1A2

M1A2 Member

Yep, i mark all my bottles with the vintage as soon as i get them, always.
  9. badboy7113

badboy7113 Member

Those bottles look familiar! And I have actually done this also, I have a bottle of Zhukov and Moat Water that I did that with to age for the year. I like how the yellow came out!
  10. M1A2

M1A2 Member

Thanks, i could not of done it without your help!;)
  11. averse

averse Member

I'd like to see some more of these. Anyone else got any pics of self waxed bottles?
  12. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Member

so easy. wax is cheap. i always heated mine up in a tin can so i oculd always go back and re-use it. just tip the tip in, usually takes a few a dips to totally cover it. solid protection.
    gatornlb likes this.
  13. Pecan

Pecan Member

[​IMG]
    Some experimenting with wax this evening.
    claaark13 likes this.
  14. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Member

I have been meaning to try this. Maybe I will now that I am finally building out a section in my cellar to properly store beet rather than piled in boxes down there
  15. claaark13

claaark13 Member

I feel like a properly waxed bottle is suddenly worth twice as much as an unwaxed bottle, solely based on badassness.
    jgluck likes this.
  16. mikeywtc

mikeywtc Member

Glad I'm not alone on this one.. I wax dipped some homebrews for all of my cousins for Christmas this year and immediately felt more badass handing them out, mostly because they were hand waxed :)!
    [​IMG]
    Pecan likes this.
  17. milo_leon

milo_leon Member

[​IMG]

Here are some of my waxed bottles. I don't generally go for the dripping-off-the-bottle-wax jobs since I like the clean look. My plan is to color-code my wax by year. Obviously blue = 2012. Will order a new color for 2013 soon, am on a beer-buying hiatus but will look to get Bigfoot soon.
    jgluck and Pecan like this.
  18. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Member

+1 This is my plan. It is more for uniformity than protection. 2012 was my first year of buying more than drinking, and I look forward to seeing the different colors through the years.

Does anyone save the wax off of the bottles they open? I am thinking that will be a good way to have the color on hand if I happen on that color's vintage in the future.
  19. milo_leon

milo_leon Member

i do try to save what i can but its generally a pain in the ass to open the beer so most likely i just give up trying to salvage the wax. any tips on making it easier to open waxed bottles?
  20. atone315

atone315 Member

milo_leon likes this.
  21. milo_leon

milo_leon Member

22. kmello69

kmello69 Member

Tried this for the first time last night, and I like the results. If nothing else, I like the way waxed bottles look. :) A little time consuming (took me a while to figure out the best melting method) but well worth it!

[​IMG]
    LightSaber and milo_leon like this.
  23. CityofBals

CityofBals Member

If the OP or someone with similarly shiny/malleable drips would care to chime in on their formula on glue:crayon ratio, it would be much appreciated!

The Marshal Z bottles look like 2011 BADL's, very cool look IMHO.
  24. kmello69

kmello69 Member

Glue:crayon ration? Hmm. I use bottling wax that I buy at the local homebrew shop. About $10 for a bag that does 50-60 bottles. If you want the drippy look, just let the wax run down the bottle. Mine dont look like that just because I let em drip back into the can until the dripping stops, thus getting a uniform look.
  25. Pecan

Pecan Member

Yep, the drips are more about technique with bottling wax. The drips come from turning the bottle upright before the wax has had time to fully dry. It ends up being the difference between turning it over 2 seconds after dip and 4 seconds after dip, but gets much easier the more you play with it.
  26. milo_leon

milo_leon Member

i think red will be the next color i order- sick look!
  27. kmello69

kmello69 Member

Yeah, this one was called "holiday red" or something. They also had a darker, more maroon red, but I thought this one would look good on any bottles. When I run out of red, I have some gold for the next batch.
  28. codysjb

codysjb Member

Anybody every have any problems with this? I was just doing a bunch of bottles, got about 40 or so done and then as I was dipping my HF Vera Mai it started gushing all over. Sucks but the plus side is I get to drink a Vera Mai tonight. Any thoughts as to how to prevent this?
  29. kmello69

kmello69 Member

Can you give a little more info - were the bottles cold? Was the wax right off the heat? Its possible that it was just a loose cap that was drawn off by the heat, but if the bottle was cold or the wax too hot that could have an impact too.
  30. codysjb

codysjb Member

The bottle was room temp, the wax was right off the heat. The wax itself was still in the pot I was using to boil it and was on the stove so it may have just been too hot to use immediately.
  31. kmello69

kmello69 Member

Could have been. I dont know for sure it makes any difference, but I let the wax sit a minute or 2 before dipping a bottle in it. But it may have just been a loose cap that blew off on ya - thats something I certainly worried about!
    codysjb likes this.
  32. BeerThursdays

BeerThursdays Member

My wife and I waxed a case of 2010 WWS and I gave a 4 pack to each of my groomsmen. We've yet to crack any, but they look pretty cool.. Even kept a 4 pack set aside for my 7 year old nephew. Hope he appreciates it in about 10 more years..

[​IMG]
    swoopdog, RyanCave, jgluck and 5 others like this.
  33. M1A2

M1A2 Member

Thanks! As far as what I did, I use 2 of the mini glue sticks to 1 crayon. With the yellow I used on the MZ bottles I cut cut a pop can in half using the bottom side of course cut up 4 mini glue sticks and 2 crayon into small chunks and put them in the can bottom and then into the oven @ 350 for about ten min took out and mixed it together and put back in for 10, 15 min more until its thin. Then dip the bottles in twist them around for a sec and the here is the trick to make it run down the bottle turn them back up right as soon as you pull them out of the wax and watch it run down the bottle. Good luck do a few bottles that do not mean a whole lot to at first till you get the hang of it.
    gjoker321 and CityofBals like this.
  34. milo_leon

milo_leon Member

slick look!
  35. crytion

crytion Member

my wax keeps cracking a couple of minutes after it dries. Its really bumming me out. i added a couple more glue sticks if that doesnt work then im just throwing all these beers away.
  36. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Member

Any tips on getting those signature drips?
  37. mikeywtc

mikeywtc Member

Nothing too special...I dipped each bottle three times (if memory serves me right) and each time right after I dipped a bottle, I immediately put it on an old towel and allowed the wax to run down the bottles. The wax kind of curved itself off the bottle on its own as it dried.
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  38. skycracksopen

skycracksopen Member

Have any of you guys tried cheese wax? I imagine it might be more chemically safe, and the consistency should be good, but you might not have the variety of colors to choose from.

Maybe I'll buy some any try it out and report back with my findings.
  39. founder26

founder26 Member

Word of advice, where safety goggles, trust me
    gjoker321 likes this.
  40. smonice

smonice Member

Wow. That is a really good gift and idea!