Senate Bills to be heard Mar. 5th in Texas Legis.

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by BgThang, Mar 1, 2013.

1. BgThang

BgThang Savant (455) Texas Dec 23, 2007

83(R) SB 515
    Relating to the sale of malt liquor, ale, and beer by the holder of a brewpub license.
    3/5/2013 S Scheduled for public hearing on . . .
    View all actions

83(R) SB 516
    Relating to the distribution of ale by certain brewers.
    View all actions

83(R) SB 517
    Relating to the distribution of beer by certain manufacturers.
    View all actions

83(R) SB 518
    Relating to the authority of certain brewers and manufacturers to sell beer and ale to ultimate consumers.
    View all actions

2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Yeah, it's amazing the difference 2 years makes... these are all moving along nicely.

3. Austinbeerworks

Austinbeerworks Savant (265) Texas Oct 23, 2010

Also being heard that day is SB 639, which was filed on behalf of the Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas.

If passed, it will remove Texas breweries' ability to self-distribute, force breweries to offer the same price to all in-state distributors, and prevent breweries from receiving any compensation for their distribution rights.

Mortarforker likes this.
  4. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Advocate (550) Arizona Jul 26, 2012 Verified

I e-mailed Carona to let him know, that as a resident of his district, I do not support SB 639, but that I do support 515-518.

5. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (370) Texas Jan 22, 2013 Verified

Do you TX breweries have lobbyists? 639's absurd. I'm trying to get a grasp/summary on all the bills so I can call my Senator.

6. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Advocate (550) Arizona Jul 26, 2012 Verified

Take a look here: http://openthetaps.org/node/138 for more info on 515-518, and I bet they also have info on 639 too.

nsheehan likes this.
  7. tx_beer_man

Thanks a lot

8. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Sadly BMC and the distributors will be lining officials pocket. I hope 639 doesn't pass, but there are a lot of crooked assholes out there that will bow to the filthy $.

mattisloco likes this.
  9. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (400) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Also up there is a bill to allow liquor store sales on sunday. Don't know where thats at right now

10. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Interesting, Very informative thread.

11. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Subscribbed to keep up with the news.

12. Lutter

Luckily the larger of the two Texas wholesalers groups, Beer Alliance of Texas, has come out against the bill and supports positive reform for Texas Craft Beer laws.

Basically this is Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas putting in one last ditch effort to quell the tide... and it's not gonna work.

If anyone needs me down at the Capital, I'm all for a bottle share with some legislators. Austin Bottle Share Lobby, assemble! ;)

I'm also good at chants. "Hey Ho What's Gotta Go?! Oppressive beer laws, Make it So!"

13. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (440) Texas Dec 28, 2011 Verified

Anybody know if the lawsuits against InBev for watering down brews are getting any traction?

14. icetrauma

Can't get traction in water. :cool:

jsboots21 and blatherbeard like this.
  15. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (635) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

I saw that a lab confirmed that the ABV was accurate, so I don't think it'll go anywhere

16. icetrauma

If that's true. Case dismissed.

17. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (455) Texas Sep 30, 2007

who paid for the lab results though.

18. Lutter

NPR and the test was through White Labs.

It was 4.99% ABV tested vs. 5% stated. lol.

19. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

What affect would SB 518 have on the regulations preventing brewery employees from pouring beer? I'm not fully cognisant of the rules - I know they're disallowed from pouring beer at outside events and have to get volunteers or people paid by the event organiser to pour, not sure if that's the case at the brewery. If they're allowed to sell on-premise that means a full-on taproom, and presumably an employee pulling on the tap handles?

20. Ford

Ford Advocate (560) Texas Sep 8, 2012 Verified Subscriber

I guess I need to find out who my Texas state rep is... and let them know how I feel...

Mortarforker likes this.
  21. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

When you find out let us know. I would like to send an email or make a phone call also.

22. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (610) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I'm streaming the hearing on my laptop. Lots of support for the craft bills so far, and lots of opposition to SB 639, including from AB-Inbev.

kevinscott likes this.
  23. TerpBax

TerpBax Aficionado (165) Texas Jul 2, 2009

jsboots21 likes this.
  24. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

It was packed down there this morning. Almost every brewery/brewpub in the state had their Guild voting member there!

blatherbeard, bccocx and Clonies720 like this.
  25. Lutter

The public hearing on the 4 bills can be heard here starting around 3 mins in (this just happened ~2 hours ago):

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/avarchive/ramav.php?ram=00005732

Including appearances from Scott Metzger (Freetail) and Brock Wagner (Saint Arnold).

Gotta use shitty RealPlayer to see it (TX Legislature in the 1990s as usual :) ). I'd tell you the outcome, but I was having a horrible time watching it live myself.

26. Lutter

Oh man, this is good stuff. You should watch it. I like the guy around 19:00 that bombs the committee asking that off-premises purchases be allowed at breweries. Also an Open the Taps representative, after telling the committee that she'd visited a bunch of other states to visit breweries, being asked if she was a "particularly heavy drinker". lol.

27. tx_beer_man

I talked to the Senate Business & Commerce Committee Legislative Aid, she was a craft brew drinker too and was for 515-18 and against 639. She relayed my support/against up the chain.

28. DanzBorin

That was @lushtastic I'm pretty sure. I heard she did a good job.

And she's not what I'd call a heavy drinker.

29. Phoenix2443

this is awful, the stream wont even play past the 1 minute mark for me. what a joke

tx_beer_man likes this.
  30. Phoenix2443

Im seeing these are all left pending in committee aka the kiss of death. Is this another failure at this point?

31. DanzBorin

I'm sure the big boys paid enough people off to make sure they vanish... :(

32. Lutter

I finished watching a while ago... at one point during public commentary reading the "against" for SB639 another committee member (after like 30 are against, none for) says "hey, you aren't saying if they're 'for' or 'against'" to which the speaker replied "uh, they're all against"

Even Budweiser testified against SB 639. It was ordered to be amended by Monday or be placed at the end of the schedule (IE: it would die in committee)

515-518 will be discussed more in the coming days (from what I gathered watching). They're being cautious but the bills are far from dead.

33. Phoenix2443

thanks lutter, couldt get the vid to play. Hope is still alive

34. Lutter

It should also be noted that even interests outside of beer were against the precident of 639. A gentleman representing manufacturers argued that the provision of ending payments for distribution agreements stifled the free market.

Dude from Wholesaler Beer Distributors was destroyed by Leticia Van De Putte, IMHO.

<-- Was a Junior Statesman in high school, which is a debate competition group for arguments like this.

35. TerpBax

Here is a summary from today's hearing that was posted on the Quorum Report (an online political publication in Austin).

NEW DEADLINE LOOMS IN BEER FIGHT AT THE CAPITOL
    Sen. Carona wants a deal by next Monday or he’s pushing beer regulations to the end of the session.
    A war over beer regulations has broken out at the capitol with multiple business interests on one side and the Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas on the other. There are now very different competing visions for what changes should be made to regulations surrounding how beer is marketed and sold.
    Before a packed Senate Business and Commerce Committee hearing, Sen. Kevin Eltife (R-Tyler) laid out his legislation that would lessen regulations for craft brewers. Right now they have many tricky rules to navigate to get the beer from their brewery into your glass and be able to charge you for it. Eltife said the economic impact of removing hurdles for craft brewers could be huge. Citing a USTA study, he said craft brewers added $600 million to the Texas economy in 2011. Within 8 years of passing his legislation, he said that number could grow to $5.6 billion per year.
    Meantime, Sen. John Carona (R-Dallas) has also filed a measure that’s upsetting to craft brewers. Among other things, SB 639 would address complex legal issues related to how beer is sold in and out of state and uniformity of pricing, which critics call “price controls.” Carona said “when you deal with anything that involves the three-tiered system, you really have to look at the whole picture. We don’t take these issues lightly – for those of you in the craft brew industry, take a deep breath.” Carona said the bill is a “placeholder for another viewpoint.” The bill is backed by the Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas. The group did not have anyone speak at the hearing.
    Brock Wagner, the founder of St. Arnold’s Brewery in Houston, said that breweries that opened in other states at the same time they did are now four times larger than his company because they don’t have to deal with the same strict regulations. For example: St. Arnold’s can’t sell beer on-site. “We had over 100,000 people come to visit our brewery last year. We were not able to sell a drop of beer to them. We had to give it all away,” Wagner said. The owner of the Freetail brew pub in San Antonio, Scott Metzger, began his testimony with an ironic twist in the law: “I can sell more beer in the state of Texas today if I moved out of Texas.”
    The Beer Alliance, the Texas Association of Manufacturers, the Texas Association of Business, the Texas Retailers Association, the Texas Public Policy Foundation and others testified against SB 639. They all argued that it would amount to price controls. “We think the manufacturer should have the ability to respond to market conditions,” TAB President Bill Hammond said.
    Tom Spilman with the Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas has said his group is in favor of trying to help small craft brewers, but he told Quorum “The devil’s in the details.” Chairman Carona said he wants the parties involved to get together and strike a deal by 5pm next Monday or he’s going to push this issue to the end of the session.

bccocx likes this.
  36. Texas_Speed

Sounds like Sen. Carona is a real douche bag. I wonder who is lining his pockets?

37. TerpBax

38. kmello69

39. Texas_Speed

Wow! They have contributed $44,500 to his campaign.

Yes it was. I had no idea that information was so easily available, I try to stay out of politics.

40. kmello69

No, I meant that having those 2 posts back to back was like you asking a question and then someone answering it. :) Those 2 posts were perfectly timed