Senate Bills to be heard Mar. 5th in Texas Legis.

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by BgThang, Mar 1, 2013.

1. jgreeson

jgreeson Aficionado (135) Texas Feb 24, 2010

Only 2 more hours left to do this. It takes less time to call then it does to read these instructions.

As much as I love these new breweries like Founders and Firestone Walker coming to Texas, I wish that one day Texas will have out own brewery that generates as much excitement as these guys when they enter a new state.

pwsoldier and Ford like this.
  2. BgThang

BgThang Savant (455) Texas Dec 23, 2007

from open the taps FB.
    Legislative update: Well after a very long day of all parties, including Open The Taps, negotiating it looks like a compromise has been worked to pass positive comprehensive craft beer legislation. However the language hasn't been finalized which means there won't be a vote until for another 24 to 48 hours.
    Open The Taps wants to thank all those that responded to our call to arms, as we think the phone calls into Senator Carona's office worked and are still working. We ask everyone to stand by until the final official wording comes out, but then be ready to respond as necessary.

FlyingKelly likes this.
  3. BgThang

from twitter
    Scott Metzger@beermonkey
    Happy to say we have an agreement in principle. Long hours and hard work by all involved. I thank them for their engagement on this

Don't keep us in suspense. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas_Speed and wagenvolks like this.
  4. BgThang

I hope they didn't lump them together.
    on the other hand I hope open the taps got what they wanted and allow visitors to take brew home

Clonies720 likes this.
  5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2013/0...said-to-reach-compromise-on-beer-legislation/

6. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (475) Texas Feb 13, 2007

For those who "don't twitter"

[​IMG]

7. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (610) Texas Apr 26, 2007

8. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

This is great news. Brewpubs can finally distribute, and breweries get a tap room. I know they had to make compromises but at least we are starting to head in the right direction.

Please start sending Freetail to Houston as soon as the new laws take effect.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  9. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Advocate (685) Texas May 10, 2009 Verified

I have to say, I thought we had years of desert wandering yet to be fulfilled. This is awesome news, and I'm going to drink a beer as soon as I finish a long day of work.

BeerHunter76 likes this.
  10. Ford

Ford Advocate (560) Texas Sep 8, 2012 Verified Subscriber

So are all of the bills still separate... is 639 now directly tied to the others.. I know it has probably been changed a bit...

11. mattisloco

What about self distribution? Set pricing?

12. cam_williams

cam_williams Aficionado (225) Texas Oct 3, 2012 Verified

Yeah that's what I want to know about

13. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (305) Texas Dec 2, 2006 Verified

I'd love it if breweries would be allowed to sell packaged beer to go.

14. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

I would imagine that with the improvements to the brewpub licenses it may be advantageous for new brewers to open up initially as a brewpub and be able to sell bottles and fill growlers as well as distribute. As they gain popularity and the business grows then they would need to convert to a brewery license.

15. mattisloco

If only the ass clowns that write these bills had common sense. Run for office, we the beer nerds will elect you!

16. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (345) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Someone, I believe it was Wolfman, asked Scott this on twitter and his response was that it's easy to switch licenses. The key for existing breweries is being under the proposed annual barrel limit. I think the new bills increase that to 12,500 barrels/year.

pwsoldier likes this.
  17. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Which TX breweries produces under 12,500 barrels/year?

18. Texas_Speed

I know Saint Arnold produces around 55,00 barrels/years. Maybe 8th Wonder, or one of the other small ones that are just starting up.

19. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (685) Texas Jul 14, 2009 Verified

Most of them. 12,500 barrels/ year is actually a lot of beer.

bccocx likes this.
  20. Lutter

Shiner and Saint Arnold are probably the only ones over that. Oh and BMC :)

21. wolffman17

wolffman17 Savant (405) Texas Jul 14, 2005

Yeah, I mentioned this idea in another thread a month ago, and like kevinscott mentioned above, confirmed with Scott that switching the license is easy. I believe only Saint Arnold, Real Ale, Karbach (soon), Deep Ellum (soon), and maybe Rahr are above 12,500. I thought I saw recently that the limit would actually be 10K, though. Who knows, the limit might be even lower than that when it's all said and done.

Regardless, it seems like a no-brainer to me if you're opening a new brewery in TX or you're an existing one below the limit: operate as a brewpub.

22. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

So breweries can't sell packaged beer? Guess we still won't be able to have brewery only releases.

23. Lutter

That was never a part of the bill... just gives the rights to breweries to have a tap room (and I guess growler fills, right?)

24. DanzBorin

Tap room is nice. The real deal will be when they can sell packaged beer at the brewery.

Baby steps are still welcome. :)

Ford likes this.
  25. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (610) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I believe tap rooms would be for on-premise consumption only. As I understand it, beer-to-go of any kind at a production brewery was not part of this package of bills.

26. No Growler fills.

27. cam_williams

cam_williams Aficionado (225) Texas Oct 3, 2012 Verified

Yeah this bill benefits brewpubs mostly. A lot of production breweries aren't zoned in areas that allow on site consumption, so they will still have to get re-zoned for them to benefit, which is a difficult process. I assume mostly every brewery that is in planning will opt for the brewpub route. Makes too much sense not too. Don't think the distributors want to give production breweries the right to sell beer to go on premise. Takes away from the pot.

28. DanzBorin

They need it taken away from. Go get them attitude and drive are good, greed is bad. These distributors need to get their heads out of their ass and realize this is a free market and they shouldn't be allowed to bully and throw around money to get their way.

Bunch of punk ass bullies is what they are.

Ford and Texas_Speed like this.
  29. Texas_Speed

Unfortunately, as long as there are crooked politicians companies will continue to use money as a tool to get their way.

30. BgThang

31. jgreeson

32. jgreeson

515, 516, 517 Committee Substitutes PASSES!
    518 Committee Substitute PASSES!

515, limit self distribution to brewpubs that only sells their own alcoholic beverage products. 1,000 BBL per location, 2,500BBL cap. (Sounds like no other beers allowed to be sold on site)

516, 517 Sound like that there is a new Self-Distributor license ($250) for both resident and non-resident < 125,000 BBL brewers.

33. Hopward

Hopward Aficionado (130) Texas Jan 18, 2007

I can hear it now;

Distributors: "Okay, Mr. Carona, we'll let the brewers sell beer in a taproom. But NO packaged products sold for off premises consumption. Got that?"

Carona: "Yes, sirs".

Distributors: "And I guess we'll let brewpubs sell to retail outlets as long as they go through us. Understood"?

Carona: "Yes, sirs".

Distributors: "Terrific, here's your check..."

34. jgreeson

639 Committee Substitute Passes

639, substitute prohibits reach-back pricing, prohibits territorial rights to be sold, but continues to allow contracts for allowances, rebates, refunds, services capacity, advertising, promotional, support marketing funds. (Sounds like severability language was removed)

639 is also tied to 515-518. Therefore, it's all or nothing on these bills in both the Senate and the House.

BTW, 518's previous committee substitute was for the on-premise beverages to be only the beers produced at the location and added hours of operation.

35. BgThang

the bills voting starts at 3:39:00 on the real media video

36. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Aficionado (160) Texas Sep 4, 2010

Moving in a positive direction for craft beer in TX!

37. DanzBorin

So no guest taps... :(

That sucks...

I love how they really gave up next to nothing to try to avoid a lawsuit. I think they should get sued anyways. I feel like I'm in a backwards corrupt state like LA. And the sad thing is LA doesn't have crooked beer laws like we do.

SMH

Like I said, glad we got something, but if we only get minor things each year, my son will be pissed about the same problems in 13 years... :(

Texas_Speed and Ford like this.
  38. bccocx

bccocx Champion (810) Texas Jan 13, 2007 Verified

From DEBC (Facebook):

Such a huge step backward for microbreweries. Congrats to the regionals, brewpubs, and most especially the distributors for getting all you wanted. It only cost you.... OUR distribution value!! SB 639 is a terrible piece of legislation. To see it now being triumphed as a win for the craft community is an absolute travesty.

39. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

"Keith Strama, of the Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas, called the revised package of proposals an “acceptable modification” to the three-tier system that regulates how beer moves from manufacturer to retailers almost exclusively through wholesalers.

“We are cool with the agreement,” he said."

No matter how many times I read that I can't help hearing it being said through tightly gritted teeth.

40. Lutter

Did they participate in the process? No? Then STFU. If they were so opposed to SB639, they should've been down at the capital arguing for what they wanted instead of crying after the fact.