1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Senate Bills to be heard Mar. 5th in Texas Legis.

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BgThang, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

It isn't that simple. Brewers can't break the relationship with a distributor without "good cause".

It also isn't a matter of breweries just picking distributors they like. Distributors are generally the ones that approach the breweries (not always, though) and the dollars and cents have to make sense for both parties.
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Although I get your point. I think that being taken advantage of is "good cause".
  3. jgreeson

jgreeson Aficionado (125) Texas Feb 24, 2010

Fun fact:
    State Rep Naomi Gonzalez (D - El Paso) drove her car into another car and ran someone over on a bicycle last night after a SXSW party and arrested for DWI.
    http://www.kvue.com/news/State-Rep-arrested-for-DWI-posts-message-on-Facebook-198428291.html

Relevance:
    Author of HB 1538 (Senate Companion SB 639)
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB1538

Receiver of $1,538 in campaign contributions from the WBDT
    http://www.followthemoney.org/database/uniquecandidate.phtml?uc=139814

Interesting contribution amount? 1538?

That's some kinda of grassy knoll conspiracy! ;)

Oh wait, politician receives money, supports and files legislation for said money giver.

Sorry, no conspiracy here.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  4. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Teach her to drink that crafty Bud Light!
  5. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Or perhaps a distributor co-op?
  6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

0.164 BAC from 2 drinks over a 2hr period... riiiight. So we know she's a skilled liar or weighs approx 20lbs.

Fact: there have been 188 DWI arrests in Austin THIS WEEK during SXSW. DD, taxi, or public transit if you're going to be overimbiding, folks.

Anyways, that's completely off topic. She's screwed, there's plenty of other support for the HB companion (a lot more so than the SB, iirc)
    cam_williams likes this.
  7. For anyone interested, you can find our official position on SB 515-518 and SB 639 here.

Most of it has already been said on this forum. We are happy to see so much public interest in these bills and encourage you to continue the conversation.

Thanks,

Michael Graham
    Austin Beerworks
    BgThang, wolffman17 and Lutter like this.
  8. Lutter

Very well written. Thanks for posting here.
  9. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

An Open Letter to the Texas Craft Beer Industry

By Joshua JusticeFri., Mar. 15 2013 at 11:00 AM
    23 Comments[​IMG]
    Categories: Brew Blog

[​IMG]
    Photo by Jimmy Emerson
    The Texas Capitol is the site of the current fight for Texas craft beer.
    A lot of news has been made of the recent legislation that exited committee earlier this week regarding the Texas beer industry. I addressed the basics of these bills earlier today. While generally positive, reactions in the craft beer community have been noticeably and understandably mixed.

See also:
    - New Texas Beer Legislation: What It Could Mean for You

Some folks in more visible roles, namely a handful of brewers, have chosen to take to social media and news outlets to cry foul, to publicly lambaste -- in very broad terms, to a very malleable audience -- the legislation that arguably represents the very best option for change that the Texas craft beer consumer has ever had. Legislation that now hinges as a single piece of law. A single piece of law that breweries are now jeopardizing.
    And for what? A ruling regarding distribution rights that was coming down the pipes regardless?
    [​IMG]
    Photos by Joshua Justice
    Up until now, Texas breweries, you have all been happy to be a part of the rising tide that lifts all ships. And let's be clear here for a moment, not every ship in this ocean is as seaworthy as the next. So before you go acting like you just circumnavigated the globe all by your lonesome, let's get a few things straight.

No one forced you to brew beer.
    You signed up for this voyage and you did so with full disclosure of what was ahead. A vast majority of you joined up well after the battle lines were drawn and you knew what the odds were from day one.
    If you are looking to play for the team that's an odds-on favorite, I am sure Anheuser-Busch will be happy to take you in. If you want to come out on the right side of government legislation every time, go get a job in the banking sector. This is craft beer. This is craft beer in Texas.
    You are not alone.
    A lot of us have been in on this fight for a very long time. I say "us" because this is a team effort. From the patrons at craft bars across Texas, the office happy hour group at Meddlesome Moth in Dallas and the guys in old lawn chairs out in front of Draught House in Austin to the homebrewers who represent the forefront of creativity and innovation in our industry. From the consumers who have demanded better beer from their retailers to grassroots organizations like Open the Taps fighting in the trenches in the capital. From journalists like Ronnie Crocker at Beer, TX who cover this industry so tirelessly and finally to the breweries that run on the innovation and the sweat and the tears of men and women like you.
    [​IMG]
    So before you get on your soapbox and call down fire and brimstone, take a look down at the people you are preaching to. They are the same people who helped you build that pedestal you happen to be standing on. Those same people that would follow you to the ends of the earth because -- believe it or not -- they care about you and your product just that passionately. Your words have very powerful and far-reaching implications. So when you get up to preach, be careful with your words. Is what you are saying benefiting them, or just you?

Since you've chosen to be so cynical...
    Allow me to join you down in the mire for a moment. Is your ultimate goal now to get the entire package tanked? To sink Texas's chance at viable brewpubs, on-site sales and the all-but-certain growth and revenue that entails so you can assure yourself a chance at a distribution payout before another version of 639 gets rammed through? (And don't kid yourselves, the ban on cash sales of distribution rights is coming in one way or another.)
    If that is the case -- and I certainly hope for us all that it is not -- then you don't deserve any of the praise and admiration that I and so many Texans have bestowed upon you. In fact, if it is the case, do us all a favor and be honest with yourself and everyone else and just cash out now.
    Up until now, we have been a team.
    But now may very well be the time to pick sides. Mine is made up of those who want to fight. My team is for the brewers and the business owners and the consumers who want to see this go the distance. If you are here to cry the first time you get hit in the mouth, we don't want you. Let me rephrase: We don't need you.
    In case it's not clear, SB 639 is a punch in the face. Worse yet, as it currently stands, it's a cheap shot. But it's a hit we should be -- at the very least -- proud to take. Do I need to remind you that two years ago, we didn't even make it into the ring?
    SB 639 will not stop my team from fighting. I know, in fact, a few who probably welcome this new challenge. I know this will not stop my team from supporting craft beer in Texas. Please do not let it stop you either.
    I'm not here to say that this package is a win-win proposition. It isn't. I'm not here to tell you that you shouldn't be angry. You should be. What I am here to say is this: This isn't just about you. This is about all of us. This is about a better way to fight.
    Do not think for a second I do not empathize with you or want the very best for you and your employees. I simply want what is best for all of us more. And what's best for all of us is supporting this piece of legislation. What's best for all of us is finding constructive ways to address the flaws in SB 639. What's best for all of us is to continue this war together.
    With nothing but love,
    Joshua Justice
  10. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

11. Walt

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen it before. What a wonderful piece that I hope some of those breweries reads.
  12. jgreeson

Interesting details about the past two days.

http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2013/03/beer-bills-calmly-proceed/
  13. Walt

Yes. The meeting ended up going quite well. I'm really proud of the way, despite differences of option (some large) we have stayed together on the issues.
    Great job to all of the stakeholders and Senators and Reps who helped!
  14. AlonCicerone

AlonCicerone Zealot (90) Texas Jan 25, 2011

This. There are many great beer book & magazine writers out there, but newspapers articles about beer often have me saying "Huh?". In my opinion, Travis is one of the best beer journalists in the country (yes, I said country). His articles are very well researched, not just re-quotes from a few interested parties. He treats beer as a serious subject, rather than the fluff/lifestyle articles that usually appear in newspapers.
    jamescain and blatherbeard like this.
  15. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

16. Travis is hands down one of the best beer writers out there. Lucky for us he lives in Texas.
  17. paymerick

paymerick Zealot (90) Texas Feb 24, 2013

Really don't care for Justice's piece... I get it that this legal package is overall VERRYY badass for us craft beer folks, and I am going to enjoy the hell out of the reward, but not understanding these other brewers' potential losses with parts of 639 and throwing the "team" card out there is shit IMO..

Like I said, I'm gunna enjoy the hell out of what is happening here, but I can't get too rah rah about any bill(s) that helps strips a right, no matter how many rights it gives..
    cam_williams likes this.
  18. mattisloco

DEBC just put this up on FB...

[​IMG]
  19. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (685) Texas Jan 13, 2007

516 and 517 pass the Senate, 30-0
  20. Lutter

Yeah, Scott M said something on Twitter to the tune of these "agreed upon" bills generally fly through the process.
  21. jgreeson

In addition to wineries, we may as well add distilleries to the fact that beer is getting rammed up the legislative b-hole.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=SB905

SB 905 was passed by the senate allowing the sale of distilled spirits in packages up to 2x 750ml bottles within 30 days to the general public up to 3,000 gallons.

Wine & now liquor != beer. Unbelievable.
  22. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Wine has been able to do whatever it wants for a long time. Ship wine to and from TX? Sure! Beer? Eff you!
  23. Lutter

FYI...

http://blog.freetailbrewing.com/2013/05/08/hey-what-about-those-tx-craft-beer-bills/
  24. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

It is so ridiculous... I can also walk into a winery in Santa Fe, Texas.... (Santa Fe, Texas!) and buy a bunch of their wine to take home.... but not the beers at a brewery!
  25. blatherbeard

so its been a few days since the 9th. anyone know the outcome?
  26. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Yeah craft beer is going to get screwed in the ass as usual, no surprise there.
  27. blatherbeard

28. mattisloco

29. Lutter

The way I understand it, production breweries can switch to a brewpub license (as long as they are selling below the threshold allowed) and sell growler fills and bottles for off-premises, since brewpubs will now be able to distribute *trojan horse*

Brewpubs will be able to produce up to 10,000bbls a year under the new bills and self distro 10% of that.
  30. mattisloco

Any idea what bbl size most Texas brewers are? Would Saint Arnolds and Rahr be the only ones who would have to cut production to make this switch? I know they wouldn't but just curious.
  31. Lutter

I heard this info regarding Jester King. They're below that threshold.

Saint Arnold is the biggest in TX with 50k bbl, iirc (not counting Spoetzl or BMC). I have no idea how big some other Austin breweries are, but I gotta imagine most are significantly smaller than SA.
    mattisloco likes this.
  32. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

I think Saint Arnold and Real Ale are the only ones over, or even close, to the proposed limitations for brewpubs.

Edit: I tried looking for numbers a few months ago when the legislation was proposed but couldn't find anything recent. Maybe one of the brewers could give us more accurate information.
    mattisloco likes this.
  33. Lutter

Here's a stat... Austin Beerworks sold 5,000bbls in 2012. Upgrading to 15,000bbls capacity by the end of 2013. For comparison, googling says JK did around 250bbls with capacity at 350bbls. #researcher
  34. mattisloco

I wonder where they're at now and if they desire to move to a brewpub license.

I hope this brewpub license, 10k bbls nonsense is removed next year.
  35. Lutter

2015, bro. Gotta let the Leg rest for a year (they only meet every 2 years).

Yeah, in this business friendly state... it's kind of ridiculous that there are restrictions on success. Baby steps this session... game change next session.
  36. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

I was confused and thinking of the capacity limits for taprooms, instead of brewpubs, which would not allow to-go sales. Here is the breakdown of brewing capacity:
    nsheehan likes this.
  37. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

Jeff said in February on The Brewing Network that JK brewed about 2,000 barrels last year, half of which were sold and half went into oak, and they're aiming for 1200 - 1500 barrels sold this year.
  38. Lutter

Google. Always accurate. LOL.