1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Senate debates bill that may allow shipping beer via USPS

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Update: the US Senate has passed the below mentioned Postal Service Reform Bill, 62 to 37

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/us/politics/senate-passes-bill-to-overhaul-postal-service.html

Allowing USPS the option to ship beer. Of course any federal or state requirements and restrictions still apply.

---

Here's a piece from the New York Times regarding the US Postal Service looking for ways to handle the decline of traditional mail and subsequent loss of revenue. One solution that they briefly touch upon is allowing USPS to get into the beer and wine shipping business, which of course would greatly increase options for businesses who ship beer and consumers.

Here's the blurb:
    Full article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/21/us/postal-service-seeks-to-widen-activities-and-revenue.html?_r=3

2. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

I work next door to a USPS, this would make things way easier for me, since i currently have to ride my bike 3 miles each way to a fedex store with boxes.

Seriously.

cavedave, Shroud0fdoom, luwak and 2 others like this.
  3. nopucophop

nopucophop Savant (280) New York Mar 6, 2009

You would still have to have a license to ship alcohol. This really would not change anything for us traders. This would allow retailers to have more options.

FocusDave and creepinjeeper like this.
  4. emannths

emannths Savant (400) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Bill text (I think this is the one they're referring to), fwiw: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s1789/text

Notably,

5. Todd

And subsequently consumers; more retailers to buy from.

6. Thanks for the info emannths and OP. I see this as primarily a benefit for people with memberships like The Reserve Society who can get their beer shipped directly instead of having to use a trustee. Too bad they didn't go further and allow liquor stores to ship.

ncstateplaya and CowsandBeer like this.
  7. emannths

emannths Savant (400) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Retailers can already legally ship via FedEx, right? I doubt it'll do much to increase the number of retailers that choose to ship. USPS will still be at the mercy of state laws regarding the interstate shipment of alcohol.

8. Todd

True, but that assumes USPS won't be competitive and incentives not offered at the state level to support any of this; the latter is a stretch, but ... they desperately need the business. Who knows where this will lead? (Could be nowhere, I know.)

cavedave likes this.
  9. nopucophop

nopucophop Savant (280) New York Mar 6, 2009

I don't think many will now start shipping because they can use USPS. We as customers may see better pricing with more options but that is just a hope.

Longstaff likes this.
  10. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

11. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Bring on the "if it fits, it ships!!!!"

I dont ship beer, I ship yeast samples.

12. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

So if you live in a state that doesn't allow alcohol to be shipped in, you still won't be able to buy online, right?

Well...good news for others, I guess. Wish I could be excited about it though.

13. You could also not trade and make your life easier :)

Ranbot likes this.
  14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

CowsandBeer likes this.
  15. backfat

backfat Initiate (0) Indiana Dec 28, 2009

16. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Uphill both ways too, right?

17. Either beer trading is worth it to you (so quit yer' bitchin), or stop trading (and bitch about why you had to give it up).

18. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

hardy008 likes this.
  19. Yeah USPS is going downhill fast. Well, it's nearing the bottom. Would be cool to get some stuff shipped, I'm pretty sure you can't in PA, but I never tried. I don't understand how they think this will work with many states not allowing it at the moment.

20. as someone who works in shipping, USPS often has better rates for shipping, thought the quality is nowhere as good as fedex, but they are probably better than ups.

21. the USPS is basically useless now. There is nothing they do you can't also do on the internet or through FedEx/UPS. I wouldn't be surprised if the USPS is gone within the next 15 years.

22. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I used USPS, once. Sent from OK to Cali, stuff got hung up in New England (WTF), for what seemed like forever. Never again.

23. they do regular mail a lot better than anyone else could, if they stuck with regular mail aka letters and envelopes and left packages up to fedex and ups that would be great.

24. you are technically a felon haha. it is a felony to ship alcohol through the usps.

SortaAmbivalent likes this.
  25. But what do we really get in the regular mail that can't be done or converted to online? I can't think of a single item that I get in the mail that I couldn't also get in an email. Even things like paying bills and filling out forms can all be easily done online now. USPS has nowhere to go but down at this point and the days of a physical letter are all but over.

4balance likes this.
  26. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

the majority of their business now is junk mail, times have changed for sure. I love FedEx…

yamar68 likes this.
  27. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

Exactly this ^, when was the last time any of us actually hand wrote and sent a letter via snail mail?

28. my wife gets hand written letters from our 10 year old niece, drawings included. there is still some use for mail, yeah digital is better, but there is something about getting a postcard or a handwritten letter that is timeless. plus some government entities ie the IRS have po boxes which can only be reached via the post office. I think if the post office concentrated soley on envelopes and packages that go to military bases out of country and left the rest of packages to fed ex and ups they would do a lot better.

4balance likes this.
  29. If they bring me my trade packages, I will no longer refer to them as the "junkmail delivery service"

4balance likes this.
  30. the thing with the usps vs. the fedex/ups is that usps while they have been raising prices is far more reasonable for sending basic things ie postcards/letters/magazines/various government forms ie drivers liscenses and other things that cannot be sent via email. there is no way fed ex is going to send you your drivers liscense for 45 cents, we need the post office to deal with the piddly crap.

CowsandBeer and UncleJimbo like this.
  31. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

It also assumes that it isn't well known that USPS employees like to play rugby and soccer with packages as well as throw them off a balcony several stories high. I know every career has careless employees but USPS seems to have more than its counterparts and maybe it has to do with the shitty wages because of declining business but who knows?

32. As a 30 plus year employee of the USPS I welcome the potentially added revenue but I really don't think this will do much. The internetz and the recession has drained 50 billion first class letters a year from the service. People are gonna have to ship ALOT of beer for this to matter.

luwak likes this.
  33. For you yes. But what do we do about the 100 plus million people in the US that don't have internet service? Places where it isn't profitable to have signals for cell phones? I don't wanna get into the whole debate because as an employee I'm obviously biased. But I do think there is still a place for a slimmed down version of todays PO.

34. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

It's not a big deal, i just have to have more time available to make the run. Next door errands would be easy. A few extra miles a week is no biggie in any event.

35. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Agreed, allowing alcohol to be shipped will do little to add revenue. They need to find ways to cut costs because people are going to magically start using mail more in this digital age. Close and consolidate a few post offices and that would probably save more than any addition revenue from alcohol shipping.

36. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Lysander Spooner disagrees.

His American Letter Mail Company was kicking their ass. They forced him to shut down because its illegal to compete with the USPS on letter mail.

Fish likes this.
  37. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

This could be somewhat useful, but shipping alcohol across state lines would still be a big no-go. "Collectible glassware," on the other hand...

38. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

I can now ship all the Cantillon I want to ship back to CA now!!!! WOOOOOOOO

39. gn0sis

gn0sis Savant (290) Massachusetts Dec 17, 2007

Honestly, even if USPS prices competitively and is slightly cheaper, FedEx will still always be more convenient. The post office can be a logistical nightmare around lunchtime when everyone working office hours has a chance to go, maybe not as bad as the DMV but can get close.. Conversely, dropping off boxes pre-labeled and not having to give more than a nod at the FedEx world center really can't be beat, even if its a couple bucks more.

kristougher likes this.