1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Senate debates bill that may allow shipping beer via USPS

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I think it was the "Seriously" part that provoked those posts haha. Love your avatar, by the way; I don't know what it is/where it's from, but it cracks me up.
  2. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

3. Is it legal now to ship bottles of beer, wine, or liquor as gifts via US Postal? I thought so, as I see bottle shipper containers for sale.
  4. wyatt

wyatt Savant (290) Louisiana Nov 18, 2009

Any update on this?
    dar482 likes this.
  5. Don't republicans love their booze? Just as long as its not shipped I guess.
    Beerandraiderfan and Skye1024 like this.
  6. mfdish

mfdish Aficionado (120) Nevada Oct 30, 2011

Well, I know I would certainly be on the phone with Coit Liquor in San Francisco every couple weeks...
  7. drought

drought Initiate (15) Apr 22, 2013

has anything come of this? ive been searching around for a bit and cant find any info about this since.
  8. "Going Postal" might start to mean something a lot cooler. . .
    BeerKangaroo, Retail1LO and aasher like this.
  9. Flat rate beer boxes? :)
  10. Scrapss likes this.
  11. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (435) Florida Sep 10, 2012

Saturday delivery isn't being cut. I work at the po. It would be perfect if I could just send beer when I go to work.
    Hopefully management realizes all of the sources of revenue he's missing out of cause well he's an idiot.
  12. bump. progress?
  13. NJBeerMe

NJBeerMe Disciple (60) New Jersey Jan 26, 2014

Pure speculation, but this bill makes me wonder if Amazon is going to get into the beer game. They are keeping USPS afloat, and the USPS will do pretty much anything Amazon says.
    DelMontiac likes this.

14. Google doesn't turn up anything recent. It doesn't look like this is an issue that's currently being considered, so I'd say it's pretty much dead at the moment.
  15. There's been a lot of talk about restructuring the USPS to include doing small loans and some minor banking. (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/opinion/the-post-office-banks-on-the-poor.html?_r=0; see also Baradaran, Mehrsa, The USPS Banks on the Poor, Vanderbilt Law Review, publication forthcoming).

My guess is they try and sneak this little beer shipping rule change in with the bigger changes (that are getting a lot of press) so there is less attention placed on the beer aspect. This seems like the type of thing that no one in Congress particularly would care to oppose unless some of their constituents threw a hissy fit. The beer community might get lucky.
  16. mverity

mverity Savant (405) Florida Oct 6, 2012

I have done all of my shipping through USPS for the very reason of giving them extra business.
    luwak likes this.
  17. If this passes you would be able to give your package to the letter carrier who delivers your mail.
  18. Only if "you" have a retail license to sell beer in your state. From the NY Times piece in the OP:
    "...to offer a broader range of revenue sources like delivering beer and wine for retailers."
  19. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Savant (375) Georgia Jul 27, 2013

This would make shipping so much cheaper. Flat rate boxes. $8 bucks to ship a decent sized box across the country. I'm in. I really don't understand why the USPS doesn't allow alcohol to be shipped through their carriers in the first place.
  20. Honestly with the way my USPS drivers have been in the past I would still never send a box through them. One mail-person I had would park her truck at one end of the neighborhood and walk around to each house individually to deliver the mail, effectively making a 1/2 hour job into a 2 hour job… My neighbors told me she had done it that way for over a decade. I was dumbfounded.
  21. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Yeah, for some reason people seem to think that this law would somehow change the requirement to be a retail store in order to ship booze.
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  22. CasualDave

CasualDave Initiate (15) Indiana Mar 25, 2014

Do we know if this passed? The closest FedEx place is 20 minutes away and it's a pain in the ass to cart beer back and forth.
  23. mani

mani Savant (295) New Jersey Jun 16, 2012

Seriously, talk about seeing what you want to see.
  24. Even if they do, they will probably charge a ridiculous amount to ship it, and beer traders will continue using FedEx and UPS.
  25. This is sadly true...it cost me around $7.50 just to ship some freaking bottle caps!

Meh, I still signed the petition, because I hate moronic over-regulation on things that don't need it.
  26. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (345) Texas Jan 25, 2012

You do realize that if you tell the truth neither UPS or FedEx allow you to ship beer either.
    albertq17 likes this.
  27. Soneast

Soneast Savant (470) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

But wine? That's no problem! :rolleyes:
  28. shnsajax

shnsajax Savant (295) Texas Jul 2, 2013

I thought this was already approved and going to be happening pretty soon.
  29. Self shipping wine can be a problem at some locations, others do not blink an eye.
  30. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

They've never asked, I've never lied, they get paid and my beer gets shipped. Beautiful arrangement.
  31. Of course, but getting caught with FedEx or UPS is basically a slap on the wrist, rather than breaking a federal law.
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  32. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Wow. 12 signatures. lol.
    jRocco2021 and UtisTheLaw like this.
  33. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (345) Texas Jan 25, 2012

I was shipping some homebrew once and they actually asked me what it was. I bottle condition my beers, so I told them yeast samples...
    Draughtsman and rather like this.
  34. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

35. zid

zid Savant (380) New York Feb 15, 2010

It's like putting your name on a list to have your packages inspected.

36. That sounds like a good time to me =D

... oh. Mail package. Bah...
    BrettHead and zid like this.
  37. You mean congress is thinking outside the box to make a Bill to counter frivolous laws in order to make money? (Slow Clap):D
    JohnnyHopps likes this.
  38. 3sheets2wind

3sheets2wind Aficionado (230) Texas Mar 12, 2013

The only time I had a package f***ed up was by UPS, not USPS. I have done at least a dozen beer trades through FedEx and several through USPS on the flat rate steez. UPS is not to be trusted.
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  39. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

UPS will just say "hey, you can't ship beer".
    USPS will actually bring action.

Do not use USPS to ship beer. Ever.