1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

September Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by atypic, Sep 3, 2013.

1. atypic

atypic Member

2012 Deschutes Dissident - admittedly, this one was beer fridge rather then cellar aged. I didn't have it fresh, but honestly it reminded me too much of cough syrup. I don't recommend.
  2. Phillyz

Phillyz Member

I just drank my CBS. Has been properly stored since purchase. It tasted amazing, and the maple was still in tact.
    Jnorton00 and founder26 like this.
  3. walterfredo

walterfredo Member

Cracked a 2009 Deschutes Mirror Mirror last night....absolutely amazing. Not sure why, but didn't have high expectations for this, but it was delish.
  4. mikecharley

mikecharley Member

Good to see there are uninfected bottles out there. Was yours stored in the fridge, or at cellar temp?
  5. walterfredo

walterfredo Member

yes, stored in my fridge/cellar at about 55-57 degrees.
  6. mikecharley

mikecharley Member

I've had two, both uninfected, but this was 2 years ago. They were delicious!
  7. errantnight

errantnight Member

09 Nemesis. I've always been disappointed by this beer. Starting with high expectations from the description and brewer. I've always found it harsh, unbalanced, and generally thin an unpleasant. So when I poured out my last bottle a couple nights ago and found it had lost carbonation and was getting ugly floaters in the beer and my first whiff brought a big nostril full of stale, wet cardboard, I expected to take a sip and then immediately drainpour.

But lo! I enjoyed it! It certainly showed some signs of aging, the beer opened up nicely, losing some of the more obvious off notes and showing some appreciative ones, some nice vinuous qualities.

The beer, for the first time I can remember, felt unctuous and full on the palate, round, smooth, balanced. Hints of maple and vanilla. No more alcohol.

Now, I don't want the "beers don't age well" crowd to read into this that OMG THIS IS THE BEST BEER EVER AGING BEERS RULEZ YOU JUST LOVE THE TASTE OF OLD LIKE OTHERS LOVES THE TASTE OF RARRE... I'm saying this was a B, B+ beer. But since I never really thought it was even average, this was actually a huge improvement, to my tastes, and a great example of tasting beer slowly over time to determine when YOU will enjoy it. If I still had any bottles left, I'd toss 'em in the fridge and get to drinking. I don't know if I missed peak, if this is peak, or peak is yet to come, but I finally met an age I could drink this beer at.
    ICCULIS, jedwards and landrewg like this.
  8. errantnight

errantnight Member

There are infected bottles out there?
  9. mikecharley

mikecharley Member

It is well documented
  10. chronie

chronie Member

That's interesting. I couldn't taste the maple after 6 months.
  11. Phillyz

Phillyz Member

I also drank '11, '12, and '13 KBS. All stored at 55 degrees since their inception. The '11 and '12 definitely fell off, a lot! They were good, but no where near as good as the '13. I've drank 3 '13 KBS in the last 2 months, and they are peaking. I couldn't be happier.
    funhog likes this.
  12. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Member

Cracked open a bottle of Tyranena Who's Your Daddy (batch 2). This is almost, but not quite a year old. I gotta say its not doing so good...

A-its still a nice looking beer. 1 full finger of head from a hard pour.
    S-Whiskey, oak, cardboard, soy sauce. smells of substantial oxidation.
    T-It remains whiskey forward, soy sauce has gotten heavy in taste. Cola flavor, nutty like a brown ale, bakers cocoa, lots of black licorice. its gotten muttled and messy.
    M- Still has nice carbonation, but has thinned out substantially. its gotten hotter/boozier than it was fresh.

I hope that no one is sitting on a huge stack of this beer because that is probably not a good thing. After trying to drink my last bottle tonight, I would not want much more of this beer sitting around waiting for it to get better. I dont think that it will get any better. Sad to say its so...
  13. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Member

Yes. I was in Colorado when Mirror Mirror '09 was still on the shelf. I bought 5 bottles and brought them back home to Illinois. Of the 5 bottles that I drank 2 of them had obvious infection issues and the other 3 drank beautifully.
  14. raveskdr

raveskdr Member

A buddy of mine and I just drank 2010 KBS, 2011 BCBS, and 2012 Black Note. All in my deep, dark cellar since purchase. All were amazing. A lot of people rail against aging KBS. The coffee fades a bit. But overall, still a magical beer.
    corby112 and landrewg like this.
  15. BlackNote

BlackNote Member

'12 BCS: still harsh Bourbon/booze nose and taste at first, but then my taste buds numbed a little and was VERY good. Also had '12 Black Note on tap at Bell's Eccentric Cafe and was also VERY good, but without the booze burn. I just LOVE Black Note as I'm sure you can tell.
  16. Phillyz

Phillyz Member

Oh, I'm definitely not railing against it. I still very much enjoyed it - it was amazing. It just wasn't as good as the fresh bottles, in my opinion. I still have roughly 10 bottles left, of '12 and '13 vintages, so I'll definitely drink them periodically and post my opinions on here.
  17. errantnight

errantnight Member

A good reminder to use Google to search the interwebs in the future.

Yeah, I was well aware of the 09 Abyss issues (I dodged them in my purchases), but hadn't recalled that Mirror Mirror suffered, also.
  18. birchstick

birchstick Member

@errantnight - I also had an '09 Nemesis and loved it. Unfortunately this was my last one, but I have been trying one every year to year and a half and it has only progressed. I wish they still had the Nemesis project instead of these more crazy Back Stage hooplahs.
  19. atypic

atypic Member

1 year old Coney Island BBA Human Blockhead (Batch 2) - We loved the original for its value/quality, and it's still pretty good a year later. But it hasn't improved. The bourbon has subsided and the balance is not as good. Probably not worth aging these in the future.

1 year old AleSmith Old Numbskull - This one tastes about the same as fresh, but maybe not quite as good.
  20. MisterKilderkin

MisterKilderkin Member

Don't laugh. I opened a bottle of Infinium, 2010 I believe, last night (stored at cellar temps). Freakin terrible. Choked my way though the good part of a glass and dp'd the rest.
    Rollzroyce21 and kristougher like this.
  21. Gueuze_Goon

Gueuze_Goon Member

This past week I've had a early 2012 Panil Bariquee, Feb-2011 3F Golden Blend Gueuze, 2010 Oude Kriek, and a 2011 Cantillon Kriek. Needless to say, all were drinking like pure funky bliss. Had a year old Founders Breakfast and KBS with brunch this Labor Day. Both were drinking nice, though both have def faded (got em at a bunch of months old already)
  22. MSandahl23

MSandahl23 Member

2011 Sofie is drinking tip top right now! That is all.....
  23. OddNotion

OddNotion Member

Drinking a 2010 Bigfoot now. Great malt flavor is coming through as the hoppiness died down. Still a good balancing bitterness that gives way to more prominent dark fruit flavors. IMO definitely worth the time I have held onto it. Glad I have one more left.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  24. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Member

Cracked a 2012 Cherry Adam from the Wood tonight to watch some monday night football. Its still drinking absolutely wonderfully!

The nose is starting to take on a solvent alcohol note that I am not a huge fan of. Only negative thing that I found in this beer tonight, but its not even significant when you take a sip of this beer. Its a mute point really.

The taste is still amazing! So well integrated and balanced at this point. Big cherry flavor that mingles with a splash of bourbon. So leathery and I love it! Lots of tabacco. Tootsie rolls. Nice smokeyness. All the flavors are big and stand alone, yet the balance is perfect.

The mouthfeel high end of medium body and low carb, but its just right. Soooo smooth!

Glad I still have a single bottle left because this is the best Old Ale that I have ever drank. Nothing even comes close to CAftW. A frickn shopstopper for sure! its a great way to welcome back the big beer drinking season as the midwest starts to cool off this fall.
    garymuchow likes this.
  25. BlackNote

BlackNote Member

'12 Ten FIDY: it was great, but never had fresh so can't say how it changed. When I get a fresh one this year, I'll make sure to try alongside by other '12 can.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  26. TNGabe

TNGabe Member

Stille Nacht SPEC BREW 2005 is perfect. I'd like to think it will contine to improve, though of course you can't improve on perfection. Saddly, I will probably never know as it was my last bottle.
    claaark13, PALMEJ1 and jedwards like this.
  27. box_social

box_social Member

i opened a Temptation b3 about two weeks ago and unfortunately it wasn't too good. Decent carb, but very dusty with an old oak taste, lots of cobwebs and must throughout. There was a good amount of dated funk and a hint of sour, but it didn't taste anything like the B4 i had a few months ago, which was wonderful.
  28. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Member

Had Avery's Czar and Clown Shoe's Blaecorn Unidragon - both a +/- 1 year give or take a month or two old. Both DELISH. I hated both fresh.
  29. garymuchow

garymuchow Member

2006 Central Waters Kosmic Charlie's Y2K

Still a little sound to the opening and pours with a 1 inch dark head. Some oxidation to the aroma and a rather sweet malt base. Pretty clear red amber.
    Flavor holds much less oxidation and still presents some sharpness. Any hops are long gone, although there is a long seemingly hop drying on the finish that hangs on quite awhile. A bit of alcohol bite that brings some intensity. Definitely warming in the gut. Just a little staleness, but it tends to lie in the background.
    Not as exciting or interesting as when fresh, but also not bad or a disaster. Better when younger.
  30. mocktm

mocktm Member

Cracked a '12 KBS last night. I'm jumping on the it's better fresh train.
    Davl22, AdamP and tx_beer_man like this.
  31. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Member

I opened a 2007 old guardian last weekend which was a sweet oxidized mess, the 2008 that I opened last night however held up very well and was very enjoyable.
  32. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Member

I al
    so opened a 2010 Bigfoot this month an it was excellent , just like you described. And similar to the 08 old guardian I had
  33. OddNotion

OddNotion Member

I had a 2010 Ten Fidy not long ago and still have an '09 left. IMO not much change has taken place when compared to fresh.
    founder26 and BlackNote like this.
  34. kbuzz

kbuzz Member

After picking up some bottles at the release, I cracked an '11 Gratitude (effectionately coined "Flatitude", since it never carbed up and was not released until this year at a discount). Obviously technically, I didn't cellar it...the brewery did :p Not sure if this will eventually come to be known as the '11 vintage or what...

Flat as advertised, no signs of carbonation at all...BUT once you get past that, this beer was actually pretty damn good. Heat was at a minimum and those toffee/caramel/brown sugar notes were all over the beer. Nice and chewy too. I just pretended that I cracked it 2-3 hours previous and let it sit in the glass and the lack of carbonation barely bothered me at all.
  35. atypic

atypic Member

Certainly not groundbreaking, but:

2 year Westvleteren 8 and 3 year Rochefort 8 - both superb, both better than fresh and 1 or 2 years aged, respectively.
    claaark13 likes this.
  36. corby112

corby112 Member

I have an 07 that I've cellared since release. Hopefully my bottle turns out better than the one you opened.
  37. errantnight

errantnight Member

Frown.
  38. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Member

I hope so too, I even bought mine for a shop that has a wine cellar where they keep some beer as well
  39. OddNotion

OddNotion Member

Having a 2010 HOTD Doggie Claws now and it is fantastic. All about the dark fruit and tobacco in this one. Nice level of carbonation and the higher range of medium mouthfeel. Bitterness is there for balance but really no other hop presence.
    claaark13 likes this.
  40. TNGabe

TNGabe Member

Xyauyu Etichetta Rame 2005. Put it in the fridge to drop some sediment as it had been stored horizontally. Wouldn't serve this chilled next time. Don't think I'd pay full price for one either unless I find a giant bag of cash labeled 'beer money'. But as a half price, shelf aged beer, I'm planning to go get the other two bottles at the shop I got this one from. I'll try and keep one until 2025 and expect it to continue to improve. On par with how late 90s JW Lees are drinking now, but I think this one will continue to improve, where as JWs are peaking.
    claaark13 and jedwards like this.