1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Seriously underwhelmed by Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (545) New York Sep 21, 2012

I just bought a case full of Hopslam out of utter hype. Mind you, my first case ever. I know i am into IPA/DIPA. This one seriously under-performs. I was expecting a hop bomb. Well, as far as aroma and taste are concerned this one turned out to be a honey laced IPA. Not even better than Zombie Dust for that matter. Only thing good about this is it is very well balanced for a DIPA. You don't feel the bitterness, no alcohol (for 10%) and not enough aroma.

What the heck, i am going to ask my store guy either to take back 3- six-packs or i am willing to trade for that matter. And i am not too optimistic about trading as i live in Indy and everyone here gets some of this stuff. Lesson learnt - don't buy stuff out of hype. Stuck!
  2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Fixed that for you.
  3. Been sayin that for years! VERY over-hyped! Not bad, just not good either. Certainly not worth the price or hype. I'll pass, thanks!
    BTW.. Do a FT: ISO: and people will be knocking old ladies over to contact you. Good Luck.
    chuckstout, Spider889, luwak and 2 others like this.
  4. This is one of the many reasons why it is a fantastic beer.
  5. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

6. AmitC

"A biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale. With a name like Hopslam, what did you expect" From the marketing shit on the bottle. I seriously was expecting something more hoppier - both aroma and taste wise - than this.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  7. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (275) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

I could drink it every night. send me your case
  8. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I thoroughly enjoy Hopslam but I pose this question in every thread like this...how often does a super hyped beer live up to expectations? 20-30% if you're lucky, or have lower standards? To each their own I suppose.
  9. Two Hearted is a better-crafted beer IMO. But all too frequently it seems "craft" is underappreciated here.
    afrokaze, AngusOg, WebGuyMike and 8 others like this.
  10. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Trade the rest for some Heady Topper.
    afrokaze, Heidelberg7, celfan and 3 others like this.
  11. Had 3 at my local place, and glad I was walking. Excellent beer. Drink it.
  12. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

Peoples willingness to buy into hype and and build these unrealistic expectations in their head has ruined many great beers. People really ought to give themselves more credit and let their own palate dictate their opinion instead of relying on others. We don't drink beer with others palates do we?

I think people who mention the honey component in Hopslam are largely tasting what their mind thinks it should. The honey is fermenting out completely and as for what is actually left behind it really is not a significant part of the flavor profile. Hopslam only checks in with IBUs in the high sixties, I think many people are expecting something different than what is delivered. I believe the massive late hop additions and dry hopping is often lost or misinterpreted on some peoples palates. If the aroma was not there I do not know what to say, it is rather fragrant. This should not be taken as an indictment on anyone who disagrees, this is just my opinion.
  13. ceazaleo

ceazaleo Disciple (65) Virginia May 25, 2011

I thought it was underwhelming last year, but will give it another go this year. The hype definitely takes it to where it cannot live up to.
  14. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

The last few years it's been way too sweet IMO, but the 1st year I tried it (maybe 2007/08) changed my outlook on IPA'a and DIPA's in general. It was sensational, last year not so much.
  15. AmitC

I certainly will. I have not tried HT but i am sure it will be much better than this.
  16. I agree, and last years was 'hot' and gave me a hangover. This years was not hot.
    BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  17. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

It's basically a nuclear hop bomb so I'm sure you'd enjoy it. And I'm sure there are others to try.
  18. I agree completely with nc41: “The last few years it's been way too sweet IMO”

I thought about buying a case of Hopslam last year but to be perfectly honest I was glad that the beer sold out before I could buy a case. I am not even thinking about buying a case this year.

Cheers!
  19. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

This statement illustrates why we should have realistic expectations and avoid hype. Hype leads to unrealistic expectations. Be realistic and most beers end up being what you generally expect.
    Fluteswell likes this.
  20. AmitC

To set my own expectations straight.. I did not know it has an IBU in the range of sixties. I did not know that and did not bother to check as i assumed it would be in the late 90s or 100s. Aroma: A lot of good IPAs beat it to that. And I am judging the beer based on what it tasted to me and my own palate. To me, it just tasted like an extra ordinary pale ale, to be frank. I know it is 10%, but that is about it.
  21. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Looks like you already forgot your lesson. Fool me once... ;)
  22. At least this wasn't a "Hopslam not as good as last years" thread:rolleyes:
  23. Pretty much actually what my reply was going to be.

I'm not into Hopslam and find it overhyped too- but a lot of people that can't get it REALLY like it- so might as well trades some 6 packs for beer you will enjoy.
  24. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Here we go again....
  25. AmitC

Seriously, i do need to get fooled more it seems. However, I like the cloudy and dirty appearance of the beer. And i am sure it would be something better.
    Wtbrooks likes this.
  26. Wish I lived close to you cuz three of those sixers would be off your hands and in my fridge already.
    fullmetal1381, hardy008 and AmitC like this.
  27. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

I was extremely hyped to try Hopslam a couple years ago, and it delivered even more than I could have imagined. It is probably my favorite beer I've had to date... it's also quite possible that it tasted so good since I had my very first one on the day I closed on my first home. :cool:

Will agree that last years batch wasn't as good as the year prior, but still good enough. Looking forward to the end of this month when it should be hitting VA!
    Bitter_Echo and FlakyBiscuit like this.
  28. I bought a bottle of this a few years ago before even knowing that a hype existed. It immediately became a favorite and something I look forward to every year. It's great to fall into such a great beer while completely blind to the expectations.
  29. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Nobody ever said that Hopslam was an unbalanced hop bomb. If you had read some reviews about Hopslam before taking a flier on a case, you would have noticed many reviews discussing the sweet/honey dominance.
  30. send all unwanted HopSlam this way
  31. AmitC

Completely agree with you. I ran into some Unibroue and Green Flash stuff this way, believe me i love those beers.
    FlakyBiscuit likes this.
  32. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I had it for the first time last year, and all I knew about it was basically "this is a DIPA from Bell's that people generally enjoy". Absolutely love it, though after starting to delve into the world of IPA/DIPAs over the last year, I'm interested to see what I think about it when it hits here. I'm expecting to still love it (though not as much as Heady I suppose, though they are very different from each other).
  33. Just reserved a case at my beer distributor as well as some NN. Never had HS but a friend of mine loves it and we like the same beers most times. I am sure it will be a good beer. NN I have had and love it. $43 for the NN is a great deal. Guessing the HS is closer to $60.

My expectation is a very good ,crisp beer. I hope it has some grapefruit to it but have no idea what to really expect. I was a bit disapointed in double trouble last year but others I know liked it a lot.

I will let you know when it arrives. No time frame given, but the NN was priced along with the other Troegs beers.

Enjoy
  34. Negative OR positive hype just gives me a more of a reason to try a beer so I can prove it to myself.
    I guess the a take on the saying "there's no such thing as negative publicity" is what I am getting at here.
  35. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

Dont worry, those will be appearing soon.
    lonewolfcry and paulys55 like this.
  36. I like it a lot.

it doesn't taste like a pine cone, it is more tropical, so for me it is a winner.
  37. Not enough aroma? I feel bad for your nose. Hopslam has the best aroma of any DIPA/IPA Ive ever had, maybe even any beer Ive ever had.
  38. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

My recommendations to the OP:

1. Accept the fact that taste is subjective and that even with over 4000 glowing reviews you might not like a particular beer that others do.

2. Don't ever buy a case of something you have never tried

3. Stick with whine and cheese if you don't like it :)
  39. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (350) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Get some Palate Wrecker if you want a "punched in the face" experience!
  40. bound4er

bound4er Savant (425) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

This.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.