1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Seriously underwhelmed by Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teamelite23

Teamelite23 Member

I'm sorry to hear that you didnt take much of a liking to it, everybody has different preferances and I continue to realize that. I must say though that these threads always make me scratch my head because me and my group of beer buddies whom of which have a lot of beer mileage on our palates were more than appreciative of this beer. Last night me and 4 of my buddies had a tasting which included Heady, Head Hunter, Zombie Dust, Flower Power, and Hopslam. The average of the rating went as followed between the 5 of us; 1. Heady 2. Hopslam 3. Flower Power 4. Zombie Dust 5. Head Hunter. Just my input though, make sure you look for founders Double Trouble, that may be my favorite IIPA of all and pretty underrated.
    FlakyBiscuit and Bitter_Echo like this.
  2. BB1313

BB1313 Member

I haven't had this year's yet, but I've had Hopslam the past 5 years and it's always been pretty consistent to me. Maybe it was a little boozier than usual last year, but the aromas and flavors are usually on point. Absolutely love it. It's not a westcoast style DIPA though, which might be a letdown for someone expecting that. Hopslam captures what midwest DIPAs are all about, IMO.
    fullmetal1381 and Bitter_Echo like this.
  3. Teamelite23

Teamelite23 Member

This was a blind tasting I should add!
  4. AmitC

AmitC Member

You sir are in love with Hopslam. There are many beers more aromatic than this, many many more. Not just IPAs but some Belgians/Belgian styles and other stuff too.
  5. adamdarcy

adamdarcy Member

I'd like to start a "Hopslam 2013 is BETTER than last year" thread. Absolutely love it, and have been drinking it every night since I picked some up.
  6. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Member

Got it. (FYI, I don't like this stuff because of the hype, and couldn't care less if I was the only person on the planet who thought this stuff was terrific: I still would like it. And FYI too, there have been lots of hyped beers on BA that haven't done much for me, and some styles that I actually think bite it, when others just can't seem to shut up about them... but doesn't mean I think they are tools or clueless. Personal taste. And you are right, it isn't like other DIPA's... and if you are expecting it to be like your STD favorites, it probably won't be too; its singularity is precisely why I like it. Oh sure, it could be hoppier or maltier or whatever-i-er (and I like those too) but it is what it is. I'm genuinely sorry you were disappointed...always sucks to think you are burning cash. I'd bet you could give these away and make a person or two really happy or trade it for some Pliny.)
  7. alanc

alanc Member

I too felt like this the first year I had it. Hopslam is such a departure from what you expect a DIPA to tastes like it is a natural reaction to say "I don't get it". Once you accept it for what it is, you should appreciate it. Even though it might not be in your top 5. A 10% ABV that is sneaky smooth and has a unique flavor profile. Don't get me wrong, I love our west coast hop bombs, but I do enjoy this time of year when this one comes out. Try it again, with a clear head and appreciate it without comparing. It won't take but a six pack for you to decide. Once you wake up from your coma, you will have three six pack to trade with.

Each to their own

Cheers
    fullmetal1381 and Bitter_Echo like this.
  8. zac16125

zac16125 Member

Same with me. It was before I got into craft beer, really. I was just starting to explore the craft section of stores, and Im not even sure why I picked this one, probably because I liked the bottle and name (who says marketing isnt important). I took it home, cracked the bottle open, and wow. I was blown away. Craft beer obsession had begun.
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  9. eagles22

eagles22 Member

Hahah people are ridiculous with the hype train it's a great DIPA !!! I"ll get my case and drink the hell out of it and love every minute of it!! Midwest,east coast,west coast DIPA's please they are all wonderful beers hopslam is in the league of its own!! Do a blind taste with selins grove Ipa and Russian river blind big 9 out of 10 people will think selins is the west coast hop bomb
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  10. zac16125

zac16125 Member

I am in love with hopslam, and I admit it. Im a huge Hopslam whore. Ive had most of the big gun IPAs/DIPAs (at least most of the big ones not from HF) including Pliny, Heady, Kern Citra, everything big from 3Floyds, multiple Alpines, I could go on and on. To me Hopslam takes the cake, HT is the only other one Ive had even close (and its very close) to being as good. There are some Belgian quads and maybe one of two Tripels that push it, but for me none of them top that absurd aromatic hop bliss that is Hopslam.
  11. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

Maybe you didn't drink it the proper way.

I made an instructional video last year. Give it a try.

12. zac16125

zac16125 Member

I will add that last year there was HUGE batch variation. I got a case total, split between two different batches dated approxiamtely 2 weeks apart. The first batch was very boozy, and didnt have either the hop notes or sweet honey notes. The latter batch was amazing. Hope this year isnt the same way. Either way, super pumped to get ahold of this.
  13. akbeerfiend

akbeerfiend Member

Completely agree, especially about people who hear honey and suddenly taste lots of honey! That stuff ferments out completely especially in a beer like hopslam.
  14. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

OP is hereby sentenced to burning at the stake for the aforementioned crime of heresy.
  15. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Member

Damn sir your balls must be huge! I am a 300+ lb guy and drank a growler of this ending up with the worst hang over. Can't wait to do it again this year!
    fullmetal1381 likes this.
  16. Highbrow

Highbrow Member

show of hands please - who buys a case of beer they are completely uncertain they'll like???
  17. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

...so you're basically asking for a trade, right?
    You're in the wrong forum...but well played!
    dman127 likes this.
  18. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

NN?????
  19. n2185

n2185 Member

Oh no, I don't like a beer as much as some other people. Quickly, to the Beer Advocate forums! I must complain at once!
    FlakyBiscuit and BMitch like this.
  20. JimPapadop

JimPapadop Member

I find this years batch very solid, not overly malted, extremely balanced, smooth and creamy, great amount of bite with equally great citral notes
  21. crossovert

crossovert Member

lol honey-laced, there is 0 honey flavor in hopslam due to it being a simple sugar that ferments 100%.
  22. AmitC

AmitC Member

He he.. makes me laugh. I am underwhelmed does not mean i can't drink it. It is just not what i expected. I can drink it all day, it is as smooth. But if someone says that it is a DIPA, given the 10% it doesn't have any characteristics of one. I also said that as much as i would like to trade, i can't because of my location.
  23. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

Just make sure it's fresh....oh that's right - you can't!
    Trade it for some PtE instead.
  24. brianthelion23

brianthelion23 Member

I drank one last year that was 6 months old. Thought it was fantastic.
  25. AmitC

AmitC Member

When i bought it, i was completely certain that i would like it. that is why i said underwhelmed.
  26. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Member

Really?!?!? First off, who buys a case of a beer they hope they will like at the price Hopslam is? Second I want to driink the beer you drink that makes Hopslam a dissapointment.
  27. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

I'll drive up from Bloomington and get it from you. I'll even throw in an Abyss to make it fair.
  28. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Member

So wait, You have had it before?
  29. Brunite

Brunite Member

EXACTLY. Listen to this wise member.
  30. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

I prefer my beer with...

...and Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hopslam :eek:
    AmitC likes this.
  31. Giantspace

Giantspace Member

Troegs Nugget Nectar
  32. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Member

I heard that they removed the spices this year, that explains your conundrum. ​
  33. Brunite

Brunite Member

Actually....I feel for you. I had a similar situation. Some friends of mine once told about this girl. She sounded great. I called and spoke to her on the phone. Then; completely certain I would like her, I proposed. She accepted (damn!) Needless to say; I was also completely underwhelmed. Crap.:mad:
    skinsfan and cadizkyguy like this.
  34. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Member

Based on what? It appears you're setting yourself up for another disappointment.
    skinsfan and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  35. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

So you have never had a 100% honey mead that has plenty of honey flavor and aroma, even though the simple sugars ferment out? Just asking.
  36. travMI13

travMI13 Member

Edit: Insert Obama ballin gif. I fail at the internets.
  37. AmitC

AmitC Member

Since i spend some time here on BA, i guess i presume certain things, especially as a noob. So if a beer reviewed by over 4000 people can turn out to be 'a not so good' brew, i think you are right. I need to be more cautious. But as they say, you never know till you try. I definitely should not try with a case though. :(
  38. Levitation

Levitation Member

did you have it straight from the fridge? did you pour it and let it warm up for 10 minutes or so?

i would not accuse fresh hopslam of having "not enough aroma."

that's not what "completely certain" means.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  39. AmitC

AmitC Member

I am up for it. Bring whatever good or 'hyped' stuff you got and want to trade for those three cases.
  40. AmitC

AmitC Member

I bought the case, put one bottle in the freezer, took it out after 45 minutes, poured into a good enough snifter, Waited for 5 minutes, smelled it and my reaction. I have 5 more bottles or rather 23 more to appreciate it and get to the point. May be i am judging it prematurely, but still, one week old and does not blow one off by nose just after opening the bottle is not worth this hype.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.