1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Seriously underwhelmed by Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmitC

AmitC Member

I had just the day before. It is excellent. Nothing like strip paint or anything.
  2. joeebbs

joeebbs Member

that's a good post, my friend.

also to the OP :rolleyes:
  3. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

Why would you buy a case of something you have never tried?!
    skinsfan likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

“I cannot wait for the "I love Hopslam" thread after the fifth bottle.”

I just gotta ask: why should it take 5 bottles for a beer to be appreciated? I have always been able to know whether I like a beer after drinking one 12 ounce bottle (or one draft pint). Is there something different about Hopslam such that you need to consume multiple bottles in order to appreciate it?

Cheers!
  5. herrburgess

herrburgess Member

I know it may sound like heresy here on BA, but there are many, many beers -- from UK milds to Franconian cask Kellerbiers to Rauchbiers -- that don't need to bash you over the head immediately with a "flavor blast" and only truly reveal the depths of their subtlety and complexity after multiple servings. We really need to start a "send Jack to Schlenkerla" fund.... ;)
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

“We really need to start a "send Jack to Schlenkerla" fund....” Woo-Hoo! You da man!!!:)

Cheers!

P.S. I have been on the search to find a bottle of Schlenkerla Helles Lagerbier (the ‘training wheels’ of the Schlenkerla beers). I haven’t found a bottle yet but when I do I will buy it; even though Schlenkerla refuses to date their bottles.:mad:

Some music to go with my ‘training wheels’ beer:
    :)
    I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it
    Bitter_Echo and headylamar like this.
  7. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

In the east balance is part of the art. God bless Hopslam
  8. headylamar

headylamar Member

not every day you see syd barrett lyrics around these parts. or maybe i'm just reading the wrong threads.
    BB1313 likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

Dude! You know your music!

Do you have a bike!?!;)
  10. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Member

It took me 2.5 years to shed the expectations of American beer and learn to appreciate all the beers in my backyard when I lived in Bamberg. Then the last year went by wayyy too fast. Sadly amny beers I had liked are now over done crap.
    herrburgess likes this.
  11. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Member

I am not one to say Im dissappointed in a beer very often, but last year i ordered a 6 pack of fresh Hopslam just to see what the fuss was about, and I too was underwhelmed. It was good, but not in the top 10 DIPAs I have had. A lot of people say it was better a few years ago.
  12. blkdth1313

blkdth1313 Member

one thing we all forget is how our palate changes overtime, particularly of your are bombarding it with hop bombs day in and day out...
    Never buy a case of something you have never tried? Don't live in PA I see....
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  13. Ranbot

Ranbot Member

Hopslam might be the only beer that can generate 5 pages (or maybe more???) of responses from one person who didn't like it.

(FWIW, in my humble opinion Hopslam is good, but I'd rather have Two-Hearted)
    skinsfan likes this.
  14. kbutler1

kbutler1 Member

You should buy a case of it!
    skinsfan and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  15. FriarTuckInLuck

FriarTuckInLuck Member

My initial reaction completely. A name like Hopslam implies being pushed around by some damned hops(I was hoping curb-stomp), not invited into their delicious tropical/grapefruit flavor profile paradise. Love both beers completely, but initial reaction was WTF?
    AmitC and cadizkyguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.