Session American Porter recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tronester, Jan 12, 2013.

1. tronester

tronester Advocate (645) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

http://hopville.com/recipe/1674184

I've come up with the above recipe to use ingredients I have lying around. What do you guys think? Unfortunately the only dark malt I have is chocolate malt.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (775) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Looks more like an American Brown Ale to me. But if you want to call it a 'session' porter, who is to stop you?

Edit: I suppose it also looks a bit like a Brown Porter, especially with the english yeast.

3. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Or an Imperial Mild for that matter :)

JackHorzempa likes this.
  4. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

That's a pretty gray area type beer, but I bet it would be tasty.

5. This was probably around 3.7% ABV
    I drink plenty of porters and stouts in the 4 to 5 % ABV category.Fuller's Black Cab Stout is an excellent example of a lowish gravity beer of this type.And you can drink it by the pint. You'll wish you had brewed more of it for that reason.
    [​IMG]

6. tronester

tronester Advocate (645) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

Well I already brewed a mild a couple of months ago with the first pitching of the yeast, though I am almost out of it. :)

Whatever style it is, do you think I added too much crystal and victory malts, or will I be ok, considering how low ABV this beer is?

7. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

My 2 cents....

My English Dark Mild uses 15% caramel malts and 6% roasted / toasted malts with a 3.5% abv and a 1.013 FG. I found that it mainly tastes nutty and not very caramel like. But the caramel malts and the 154F mash temperature kept the body from being watery. I'm quite happy with it.

That being said, your recipe has 10% caramel malts and 18% toasted malts with a 3.9% abv. So my best guess is that your results will be much more toasty with less body. I would hope you mashed as high or higher than I did.