1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Session beer suggestions for today (Austin, TX area)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by forty2kman, Apr 7, 2013.

1. forty2kman

forty2kman Aspirant (35) Texas Mar 20, 2013

Thanks in advance to all who reply!
    Never thought finding a session beer with an ABV of 4.5% would be such a challenge!
    Can anyone suggest one that would most likely be widely available in Austin, TX?

Nectar likes this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

If you get Deschutes, River Ale, at 4% abv, is a must try. I've already drank a near river's worth.:D

gatornation, denver10 and forty2kman like this.
  3. I wish I could help, but I have a similar question. Looking for a sessionable stout or porter. I had a Velvet Merlin on tap the other day, and loved how refreshing it was with a slightly lighter mouthfeel, but can't get bottles of it around me apparently. Thinking of trying Edmund Fitzgerald, but not sure what else.

Eriktheipaman and forty2kman like this.
  4. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Not sure about texas but anyone in the nj/pa area should give yards brawler a try today.

5. Left hand nitro milk stout. Its 6%, but by todays standards, thats basically sessionable. And for a stout(ish) beer, its quite fantastic.

Also heard good things about stone levitation, but havent tried it

AAG, kemoarps and a74gent like this.
  6. Velvet Merlin is hands down one of my favorite beers. To me though it has a pretty chewy mouthfeel all things considered.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  7. Stone Levitation is awesome. Touch of malt and nice hoppy aroma with slight bitterness. The problem is I can never find it even semi fresh out here.

8. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

You get Uinta's Wyld Pale Ale down in Texas? The Deschutes River Ale suggestion should work too.

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. Founders All Day IPA

LouDogg114, Mgm54, KhakCane and 3 others like this.
  10. I guess it could be because I typically drink imperial stouts, but I remember beers like Founders Porter having a thicker mouthfeel. I enjoyed this because it was lighter, but smooth, and had a nice chocolate and roast balance.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  11. Jester King Brewery just outside of Austin makes a Belgian Table Beer (like a light saison) at 2.9% abv called 'Le Petit Prince'. You should be able to find it at a good beer store around you, and whole foods would probably have it. The big downside is that it is expensive for such a light brew, probably $6-$7 for a 750ml. I suggest grabbing one though, it really is quite nice.

forty2kman likes this.
  12. Bitterbill

No it isn't.:rolleyes:

13. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

All Day IPA is pretty close in ABV. For general sitting around watching ball games I usually stick to gasp.... Miller Lite.

14. correction: by my standards.

Disclosure: I'm a 225lb 6'6 college student and an ex-varsity rower, so you're probly right: maybe it does't qualify as sessionable for everyone haha. Still, its a fantastic easy drinker though.

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. True about All Day. I'm not sure if Texas gets Founders quite yet though.

16. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Breckenridge can be a bit of a polarizing brewery but I do like their Oatmeal Stout and that one runs in at 4.95% ABV.

17. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Slightly higher in abv, 4.9, but I would suggest Anchor Steam. Solid beer, very sessionable.

lic217 likes this.
  18. Bitterbill

Oh yeah, there are loads of non session beers that are easy drinking. No doubt aboot that, but the whole concept of what a session beer brings to the table is that it is low in alcohol and you can drink a lot of it and you can get on with the daily business of life without being noticeably "buzzed".

19. But gaddam their avalanche ale blows.

Single tear :*(

20. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I wanna say its Full Sail "Session lager" has a similar container as a redstripe. It says on here that its 5.1abv, but it sure doesn't feel that high of abv.

21. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

Southern Star Bombshell Blonde is decent and at 5% is close to what you're looking for.

kemoarps likes this.
  22. Optifron

Optifron Aficionado (205) Illinois Aug 17, 2012

Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis (4.9 % and 4.8%) are two of my favorite sort-of-session beers you can get anywhere.
    If you're at a bar (my personal favorite is Opal Divine's on South Congress, on the porch, on a sunny day) I would go for Live Oak Hefeweizen or Live Oak Pilz, both ~5%.
    Not quite down to the 4.5% level, but pretty close, and damn refreshing.

mrkmrk likes this.
  23. SA Noble Pils is < 5% and Tasty but a touch higher than 4.5%

24. Someone's trolling for an untappd badge. Try BMC crap or find a cider.

ufmj and spinedocschabel like this.
  25. Just what sort of sessions do you guys have?
    The idea of such brews is that you can drink one after the other for hours on end.I take my hat off to your alcohol tolerance , after only a few Imperial pints I can tell the difference between one at 3.8% and another at 4.5% , and a few more Imperial pints after that I'm anybody's if I drink the stronger one.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  26. In this country, for the vast majority of drinkers, 5% is considered strong...And most beers are less than this strength.

27. If you really want something at 4.5% or lower, my fave in that category is probably Kona's Big Wave Golden Ale (4.4%). Very refreshing, especially on a hot day. I know Kona gets limited distro in Texas, just not sure about your specific area. Good luck!

Neorebel likes this.
  28. Goose Island Honker's Ale

It's not the best, but it's pretty damn good at 4.3%.

Bitterbill and BeerKangaroo like this.
  29. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

Coors light. That will get you your untappd badge.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  30. davey

davey Savant (275) Illinois Aug 18, 2006

Call Ding

31. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Goose Island Honker's Ale: 4.2% abv.

BeerKangaroo and Bitterbill like this.
  32. Bitterbill likes this.
  33. Ding made his mark all right!
    But it's frustrating that people just haven't a clue about session beer. This is it-you go to the pub, have a pint and a chat, another pint, more people come in, another pint then another, then a pint suddenly appears and you return the favour then another pint and one for the road.Perhaps another one or two after that.And walk home comfortably and watch some TV or read a bit before going to bed. That's what session beer is for and what it's about.

34. markgugs

markgugs Champion (980) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

haha, that's what I came in to write (the untappd part). Victory Swing Session Saison is 4.5% btw

35. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (160) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013

If I'm looking to hang with a beer all day, and I want it to be tasty too, it's almost always going to be a pilsner.

If you can get it fresh, Pilsner Urquell is a no-brainer. The first, and the best.

I'm currently on a zwickl kick. Unfiltered, malty, crisp and refreshing. Bayreuther is my current fave.

I only had Deschutes River Ale once, but unfortunately it was on a cold, rainy, Pacific Northwest night, so it didn't really work for me. I want to try again now that the weather is better.

herrburgess and Neorebel like this.
  36. sellaturcica

sellaturcica Disciple (55) Texas Oct 7, 2012

For Texas, Rahr blonde lager, Shiner 966 farmhouse ale (if you like the style), Full Sail Session black lager, or Konig pilsener. PBR also works if you're strapped for cash.

37. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Well said. The Brits know what it's all about. Sharin' a pint or two, then gettin' on with life.

38. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Oklahoma has a nice session beer, called Mustang Session 33, topping out at 3.2% ABW. A cut above the average AAL.

39. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (160) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013