1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Session beer suggestions for today (Austin, TX area)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by forty2kman, Apr 7, 2013.

1. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (590) Washington Apr 30, 2008

I'mma go ahead and support the suggestion of Bombshell Blonde: don't remember the exact ABV, but great sessionable warm weather brew. Red Chair if you can get it has been my go to for the last couple of months, but I don't remember if you can get that in ATX

Drink'in the Sunbelt was good, but I don't know if you can really call 750ml JK stuff truly a SESSION beer. Just go to Whip-In and talk to the folks there

2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Sessionable for your liver, not so much your wallet.

Delicious brew though! Cheers

ufmj likes this.
  3. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (365) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Bells Oberon!

4. Very true on all levels.

5. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I don't get how a 6% beer can be sessionable for anyone. It's not about what the alcohol does to the body, but what it does to the beer. When a beer is 6%, it is going to carry with it a certain feel, and inherently more bold taste, which to me makes it clearly un-sessionable to me. When a beer has a certain level of taste and mouth-feel, I simply feel like I am cheating the beer if I drink it quickly, and thus I drink it slowly and the beer becomes un-sessionable.

That said, certain PA's and IPA's seem to be exceptions to the rule for me, as they are just so refreshing, so I do drink them faster. A great example being Flower Power.

6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

FFF Jinx Proof. Clocks in at 5.1% I think.

7. A recent new one I tried that I enjoyed is Prairie Artisan Ales Standard Ale (5%).

8. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

21st Amendment Bitter American

ufmj likes this.
  9. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Savant (285) Georgia Jan 1, 2012

Founders All Day IPA and Goose Island Honkers are great session brews!

10. I'm getting better at "sessioning" these days. Yesterday at the bar(s) went like this.

Victory Uncle Teddy's Bitter (3.9%)

Mystic Saffron (4.5%)

Mayflower Golden Ale (4.2%)

Victory Donnybrook Stout (3.7%)

Banner American Ale (3.4%)

11. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (645) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Although it clocks in slightly above the 4.5% i consider ABW Peacemaker a session, and being that you're in Austin you should already know about that one.

12. forty2kman

forty2kman Aspirant (35) Texas Mar 20, 2013

Thanks again to all for the serious replys. Had to look up what was meant by "untapped". Cool thing. To those pric*s I say pull your head out and don't assume you know WTF you're typing about. Lose the keyboard cahones assh*les!!

13. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (245) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Hops and Grain "The one they call ZOE"

BK1017 likes this.
  14. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Reading this thread it's abundantly clear that some of you guys don't have a goddamn clue what's "widely available in Austin". Bells? FFF? New Glarus? Evil Twin?! Are you guys nuts!? Even Founders isn't quite here yet and isn't going to be available in packages till May/June.

My suggestion is any of the canned Hops & Grain beers (Alteration, Pale Dog, Zoe). All great sessionable beers.

champ103 and icetrauma like this.
  15. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Come on Lutter. Maybe they have friends in low places who can beam them to certian beer stores all over the nation like President Skroob was beamed by Snotty. :D

16. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

"Why didn't anyone tell me my ass was so big?!"

Seriously though. If we had New Glarus I'd probably have my fridge filled with Moon Man. As of now, it's a rare treat.

17. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

The only New Glarus I've had was the Belgian Red and damn it was delicious!

18. corbey

corbey Aficionado (170) Texas Oct 22, 2006

Cain's Best Bitter, 4%, and Cain's Dark Mild, 3.9%. Available in cans in Texas.

19. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

A little late to this. Live Oak Hefe, Pilz, and Scwarzbier. All excellent, low abv offerings. Also check out Pint House Pizza and get their Calma Muerta.

Oh an since most people have suggested something completely unattainable in Austin...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/748/20262/?ba=champ103, on cask at Prince of Wales in Aberdeen.:rolleyes:

mrkmrk likes this.
  20. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 25, 2011

Totally late here, but to anybody curious: 5.2 is a bit higher than the requested 4.5, but if you're in Austin, there is absolutely no excuse not to gorge yourself on Live Oak Hef. That beer was rated best beer in the southwest for a damned good reason. I could drink that stuff all day.

(Granted, some people are saying that 5.2 is too high to be sessionable. Maybe it is, but it doesn't seem to be for me. On the alcohol front, I'm a 6'2 255lb bear, and on the flavor front, Live Oak Hef stays consistently good and refreshing without becoming too overbearing. IME.)

21. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Did Live Oak recently up the ABV in the Hefe? I remember it use to be a lot lower. Like the 4.7 range, though I could be wrong?

22. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 25, 2011

Looks like it was 5.2% at least as far back as July 2011. Couldn't say before that, though.

23. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

24. corbey

corbey Aficionado (170) Texas Oct 22, 2006

Deep Ellum Rye Pilz, 4.8%. I think I've seen it around Austin.