1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sessionable stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raczkowski, Feb 15, 2013.

1. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (290) Florida May 16, 2011

Going to a party tomorrow night after traveling this afternoon and into tomorrow. Wanting to take a six pack of stouts to the party but want to have multiples. Any suggestions? I was thinking left hand milk stout or nitro but am open to any low ABV stouts that I can drink all night long. Thanks!
    DaKur likes this.
  2. Milk stout nitro was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the title. Also Terrapin's Moo Yoo and Firestone Walker's Velvet Merlin might be doable, though not sure what the availability's like in your neck of the woods.
  3. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Terrapin Moo-Hoo or Left Hand Milk Stout. You really can't go wrong with either of those!
    Blueribbon666 and DelMontiac like this.
  4. I think Oatmeal Stouts are frequently in the 4 to 4.5 ABV range.
  5. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

New Holland's "The Poet" is probably my favorite, easily-sessionable stout.

EDIT: looks like you can't get that in FLA. You know, Sierra Nevada's Stout is not a bad option, either.
  6. Most Irish dry stouts should fit. Brooklyn started bottling theirs.
  7. Not sure if you get it, but Moo Thunder from Butternuts is a nice sessionable, canned option.
    victory4me, cavedave and Willbfun like this.
  8. elchingen

elchingen Aficionado (225) Georgia Aug 16, 2009

Beamish Irish Stout.
    Low ABV, not overly sweet nor highly hopped so shouldn't create palate fatigue. Nitro smoothness makes it go down easy.
    kojevergas and BedetheVenerable like this.
  9. Yeah, I've been eyeing Brooklyn's Irish Dry Stout lately whenever I go beer shopping, myself. Only 4.7% abv, too, "...among the lightest beers we make..." says their webpage for it.
  10. screamking

screamking Savant (305) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

If you get bells... Kalamazoo stout is very nice.
    LMT, elgiacomo, Blueribbon666 and 3 others like this.
  11. Acforster2

Acforster2 Aficionado (245) Florida Jan 17, 2011

Samuel Smith oatmeal stout is not only a great low abv stout. It is one of the best beers that I've ever had.
  12. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

If you have access, Fuller's Black Cab stout is nicely serviceable at 4.5% abv.
  13. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Can you get Ipswich Oatmeal Stout in FL? If so, try that. Very tasty and has a 7% AVB.
  14. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

killigan's milk stout is also good... practically identical to left hand nitro, IMO, so which ever is available.
    For a desserty stout, samuel smith organic chocolate is not too boozy (5%), and is apparently not even that high in calories, if you believe random online sources...
  15. I think Chicory Stout is one of DFH's best regular rotation beers there are, period. That rings in at like 5.2%
    njhopspop and cyrushire like this.
  16. I know it says "Stout" but as you are in FL I would just pick up some CCB Jose Marti Porter and be done with it, that stuff is delicious.
  17. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

SierraNevada, at 5.6 and highly quaffable, is a good call
  18. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Another vote for Left Hand's Milk Stout, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and Ipswich Oatmeal Stout.

Not mentioned, Deschutes's Obsidian Stout. If open to porters, Deschutes's Black Butte.
  19. The bar I work for had it on tap last year around St. Paddy's Day, & I thought at the time it was, like 3.8% or something. They're know for screwing up that kind of info, though.
  20. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Not a stout but Smuttynose Robust Porter is great sessionable beer.
    elgiacomo likes this.
  21. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Courage Russian Stout. Could drink that all day.
  22. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

"Sessionable stout" is an oxymoron.
  23. RobertColianni and Profchaos20 like this.
  24. Even Sweetheart Stout (2%) or Mackeson Stout (3%) - both well under UK "session beer" criteria, and less alcohol than standard US "light beers".
  25. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Guinness
    Buffalo Sweat
    Left Hand Milk (Nitro or otherwise)
    kojevergas, TastyIsBeer and Bear1964 like this.
  26. In the interests of pan-atlantic relations, could we please have Marquis define the appropriate abv of "Sessionable stouts", then add 1.276% and use that as an upper limit?
  27. Samuel Smith Taddy Porter and Organic Chocolate Stout are great, and as mentioned before the Brooklyn Irish Dry Stout is another awesome beer, too.
    Bear1964 likes this.
  28. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Same family, Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter is generally a crowd pleaser.
    cavedave likes this.
  29. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (380) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

AV Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is a very nice, easy-drinking stout.
  30. Shakespeare from Rogue is one large tasting stout and the abv isn't huge. Left hand is solid also.
    cavedave likes this.
  31. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (360) New York Jan 7, 2013

Another vote for Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. Frankly any good oatmeal stout is a good call. Left Hand Nitro Milk is also light enough to be sessionable.

Blue Point makes a pretty good oatmeal stout (at least when I last had it on tap), but I'm not sure it comes in 12oz-ers.
  32. It's not the alcohol content that makes stouts unsessionable for me, its the sugar from the malt.. if i have more than one im usually done for!
  33. Sessionable?......... Guinness draught, not to be confused with "sensational" though.
  34. Ten Fidy I could drink that stuff all night long. and it comes in cans....totally sessionable
    Dools9 and stoney1031 like this.
  35. Came on here to say samuel smith oatmeal stout. would be a great choice
  36. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (575) Florida May 25, 2012

easier said than done. ccb stuff goes quickly, even in Florida
  37. Sipping on Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat right now. Very sessionable. The Vanilla Bean version is pretty darn good as well.
    teal likes this.
  38. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Sierra Nevada Stout ALLLLL DAY!!!
    davey101 and Dennoman like this.
  39. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

This. Had it among a serious impy line-up and it held up wonderfully.

Also: give the porters some love and go for a Fuller's London Porter or a Founders Porter!
    davey101 and bifrost17 like this.