1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sessionable stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raczkowski, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

magic hat heart of darkness
  2. Was at Avery's tasting room last month, and they had a milk stout at 3.7% that was very tasty.
  3. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Sierra Nevada Stout, Mad River Extra Stout is amazing also
  4. Yes a great beer. World class, but i have made the mistake myself of drinking it all night long... Don't remember parts of the night... only that the beer was so good. Wouldn't call it sessionalble
    TheBrewViking likes this.
  5. Barney Flats bruv.
  6. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

WTF?! only on BA could it take 21 post for someone to mention Guinness in a thread about low abv stouts. Doesn't anyone on this site appreciate the classics anymore?
    MADhombrewer likes this.
  7. Fish

Fish Initiate (0) Oregon Dec 19, 2012

One more nod for Samuel Smiths: Love the stuff!

Ninkasi Oatis: At 7.2% this kicks my butt, but I've been sessioning it anyways and dealing with the consequences. This is one of the my favorites! Get some.
  8. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

I honestly feel very sorry for you.
  9. Tut

The simple reason it took so long is that most BA's consider Guinness a bland, mediocre stout.
    PeterJ likes this.
  10. Courage RIS and Ten Fidy?! How is a 10+% ABV imperial stout sessionable?

Anyway, Sam Smiths oatmeal stout and FW Velvet Merlin get my vote. Delicious, low(er) ABV, inexpensive and tasty. How much more sessionable can you get than that?
  11. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (440) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

100% agree with the coffeehouse stout if it is available. Probably some of the best flavor for a lower ABV stout I've ever had.
  12. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

SN Stout would be my first choice. I had a Ft Collins Chocolate Stout yesterday and at 5.3% it would be a good choice although the mouthfeel was a little thin.

Also, Young's Double Chocolate Stout is always an option IMO.
  13. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I'll 52nd Left Hand Nitro.
  14. Guinness hasn't been a classic for a long time.
    Tut likes this.
  15. Wouldn't classify the granddaddy of Imperials as a session stout. And I don't think I'd want to blow through six of them at a party. And what would that cost?

More of a sipper in front of the fire.
  16. to be fair, the OP is about sessionable stouts, not session stouts.
  17. I would say Bar Harbor's Cadillac Mountain Stout but its actually bigger than I remember it being and its smaller production, I believe. But it's damn good.
  18. I'd go with Samuel Adams Cream Stout, with Sierra Nevada Stout being the back up option. Both are very tasty brews, but not as filling or high in alcohol as many others.
  19. Although Guinness falls outside, (just) the limits of session beer it's still a beer intended and expected to be consumed in reasonably large quantities. A beer of which people could drink two or three pints in their lunch break and be able to work unimpaired for the rest of the day or could drink over several hours refilling the glass whenever it was empty without being wrecked by the end of proceedings.It's an ideal stout for this whereas some of the stouts mentioned above , however good they are , simply don't fit the sessionability bill.
    teal likes this.
  20. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Samuel Adams Cream Stout
    Goose Island Oatmeal Stout (Discontinued, Alaskan has an acceptable replacement)
    Guinness Extra Stout
    Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat
  21. Agreed on the Sam Smith's Organic chocolate stout!
    Also there's a good local stout I can drink a sixer of easily
    [​IMG]
  22. Ron (Pattinson- whom you quoted) was just looking to pull somebody's leg; it looks like he got yours ;)

Me- I'm inclined to go with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal (though pricey over here), the Poet or Barney Flatts for stouts, and Sierra Nevada and Anchor for Porters if it's going to be a longer-type session.
  23. If so, I consider myself got.

But I would not be surprised to see that as a serious answer.
  24. wd09601

wd09601 Aficionado (115) Maryland Jul 29, 2012

In lieu of feeling sorry for me, send beer to me.
  25. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

North Coast Old #38 Stout
  26. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

That's what makes it funny.
  27. Well, they were* only 170 ml. bottles (less than 6 US oz.), took more than 3 of them just to fill an imperial pint glass! ;) (A "session" can last more than 24 hours, right?)

* before the large economy-sized 9.3 oz. bottles from Wells & Young's​
  28. It's only available in select bars around NY and NJ and in growlers in their tasting room but Carton's Milk Stout is outstanding and is only 4%.

http://cartonbrewing.com
  29. Just had some Brooklyn Dry Irish Stout for the first time and it completely nailed being a sessionable stout. Not thin or watery and no burnt or bitter taste on the finish. Smooth, easy drinking goodness.
    Tut and ChrisM361 like this.
  30. Tut

I hate nitro beers, so I can't send some to you.
  31. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Guinness!

Yes, yes, I realize I'm asking for it.

...But I'm serious.
  32. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

6 Carnegie Porters.
  33. Tut

I heartily agree.

No nitro, and it shames Guinness!
  34. grrrah

grrrah Savant (320) California Sep 21, 2009

FW Velvet Merlin
  35. Tut

While Guinness may be a session beer due to it's low abv, it's far from the best choice. It's simply bland and uninteresting. Brooklyn Dry Irish Stout is flavorful and a far better alternative. There are plenty of other low abv craft stouts that are session stouts and have rich, hearty taste as well.
  36. Strangely enough Brooklyn Dry Irish stout was served in one of my local pubs recently.It's a good brew but we have plenty of local ones of similar quality but with the added advantage of being available on cask.
    When customers ask about these porters/stouts I tell them they are like Guinness but with taste.
    Tut likes this.