1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

SF Dinner Suggestions?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by flexabull, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Would like to take my wife to a nice dinner on Saturday night, hopefully one that has a good beer selection and isn't super expensive too. Thanks everyone!
  2. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I'm a big fan of Alembic or Beretta. Magnolia, Social Kitchen, or Monk's Kettle are options too. Bar Crudo has a great beer selection and the food is outstanding but it's a little spendy.
  3. Magnolia has the best food of any brewpub I've ever been to.

Southern Pacific Brewing also has great food, and while I would describe their beer as just ok, they always have a few guest taps that are pretty good.

Abbott's Cellar keeps a pretty impressive beer list, but I haven't been there yet, so I can't tell you anything about the food.

Anchor & Hope is generally great on both fronts, but can get a little pricey.

La Trappe has an amazing beer selection, but once again I've never actually eaten there.
  4. Thanks for the tips, any other places that are good restaurants that also have a nice beer list?

Thinking Alembic or Magnolia would be nice choices, but my wife will probably say, "you are taking me here just for the beer." ;)
  5. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Many spots have great food and an OK beer list or the other way around.

Bar Crudo on Divisadero, not to far from Toronado, best of both! Top restaurant and has one the best beer list. And we eat out and drink way to much :D. It is seafood served raw or hot. Favorite dishes are the chowder, oysters, and the lobster and burrata salad.

http://www.barcrudo.com/beer.php

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bar-crudo-san-francisco
  6. wow, just saw they have BCBS on their bottle list. Did this finally make it to CA? I have yet to see it in stores anywhere.
  7. Unfortunately I am allergic to seafood, looks like a great place though.
  8. teamizm

teamizm Savant (375) California Feb 4, 2005

Abbott's Cellar would be my choice but it's a tough reservation and the walk in waiting list is always a zoo. Monks Kettle is great but pricey beers. Magnolia's food is great (finally - it used be pretty mediocre) but the house beers are good, but not great. Bar Crudo is always my favorite suggestion to this question but unfortunately you're allergic to seafood.
  9. If you take your wife to Alembic, she'll probably say "you brought me here just for the cocktails." And she'd be right - they make some of the best cocktails in the city.
    drgarage, jtmartino and flexabull like this.
  10. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (535) California Apr 3, 2008

Fat Angel, Suppekuche, Leopolods, Park Tavern, or Town Hall.
  11. rob133

rob133 Savant (290) California Jan 7, 2009

Magnolia is always my go to place. I like Southern Pacific for the food and the space itself(and the guest taps), but are they still serving food on plastic trays? That kind of takes away a little from the experience.
  12. I've only eaten at SoPac once - during the last World Series game - and admittedly I wasn't paying a great deal of attention to the serving dishes, but I don't remember any plastic trays.
  13. Maybe I'll take her to Magnolia, I've haven't eaten there in years (the menu looks really different), and haven't even been for a beer in a couple of years. Alembic sounds like a good option too.

Is the wait bad at either place? Reservations needed? The other thing I hate is trying to park around the Haight area, I know my wife won't be pleased if it takes us 15 minutes to find a spot.
  14. On a Saturday night, both places will have a wait (neither take reservations). When you get there will determine how bad it is.

I never have trouble parking in that part of town - go a block or two south and there's almost always a spot on one of the residential streets. Also, if 15 minutes to find parking makes your wife upset, either 1) have her get out in front of the restaurant and put your name on the list while you park, or 2) take Muni/a cab.
  15. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

They must've totally brought some out here illegitimately. Why would no one else have it? $11 is a killer price for a 12oz bottle on a bar menu. Not to mention who knows what vintage it is...? I go here for their oyster happy hour sometimes, next time it'll be BCBS and Oysters.
  16. Thanks for the help, I think my wife just has a bad memory of being a DD one night when we went to the Toronado and she had to drive around for a while and ended up parallel parking in a very tight spot. I lived in Seattle for a couple of years, so it's not a big deal to me. I'll drive there, and she can drive back to the hotel. ;)
  17. I might go tomorrow.
  18. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Or they hung onto the 2010 that was distro'd out here.
  19. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Another place to consider is Nopalito in the Inner Sunset -- really decent tap list with a rotating handle each from Drake's and Moonlight that tends to be some deep cuts.
    flexabull likes this.
  20. I second this, almost mentioned it as well, great food, and your wife will love their sangria. Or it's mother restaurant Nopa.
    flexabull likes this.
  21. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

very possible. 2010 BCBS for $11 a bottle is an even better deal than $11 for 2012. Winning.
  22. Anybody checked out St. Vincent? I know they're trying to do the fancy gastropub thing.
  23. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

If you want to get an esoteric beer while impressing your wife and justifying the price, go to La Trappe and get a seat downstairs. My girlfriend seemed pretty impressed and she isn't really into beer. You can get out without spending too much as long as you stay out of the bottle list, but then again that's half the fun of places like this. Cheers
    flexabull likes this.
  24. Been twice to St. Vincent. I would not go there for the beer. The selection is ok. Wine is the way to go there.
  25. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (770) California Jan 15, 2009

You ask for SF dinner suggestions; you did not say that it had to be a beer place. So, while there are a number of amazing restaurants and beer places, a newer place that is well worth trying is Heirloom Cafe. Farm to table fresh food that is eclectic, creative and delicious. Ask for Matt, the owner, who is a great front man. The wine list is amazing and well priced. Look it up on line. Great place and well priced.
  26. teamizm

teamizm Savant (375) California Feb 4, 2005

I think beer was one of his criterions.....

flexabull likes this.
  27. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (770) California Jan 15, 2009

My bad. Still, good place to eat!
    teamizm and flexabull like this.
  28. impending

impending Advocate (570) California Mar 12, 2010

I'll echo others . . .
    La Trappe
    this place is special
    you can definitely have a memorable experience here, I promise your wife will like it
    sit downstairs only
    it isn't cheap but it feels fair
    cheers
    jd
  29. danscott

danscott Savant (310) California Jul 15, 2006

Many great places mentioned, but Suppekuche is a more atypical dining experience and is a hell of a lot of fun. Also tough to get a table.

Magnolia's new menu is great. Since you an out-of-towner, don't expect to drive into the heart of the Haight and park on a weekend. You probably won't enjoy it. Stash the car somewhere, take the bus, walk around, it is a fun neighborhood with a lot of character. And junkie piss. But mostly character.
  30. Went to Alembic. Cool little spot, excellent food too. Thanks everyone!