1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

SF recommendations for June 18-20

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by hu5om, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hu5om

hu5om Savant (255) Wisconsin May 12, 2010

My gf and I are heading west in june and plan to be in sf from june 18-20. we have gone through the beerfly guide and have to hit toronado and city beer store for sure. otherwise looking for other interesting places to check out and any ideas for a cheap place to stay. we will be driving from WI and will probably bring out some CW and NG to share/trade. cheers! Ryan

2. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

3. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Advocate (510) California Nov 10, 2007

You and your grandfather should consider a Ferry trip across the bay to Jack London Square, and a very short walk from there to Beer Revolution.

Beach Chalet at sunset is picturesque.

And if you like Belgians (I hear they're a friendly lot) take gramps to La Trappe.

4. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

I've only been to Beer Rev once, and they didn't have anything that you couldn't get elsewhere in the city. I'd rather hit a few places in the city or take a drive up to Santa Rosa before ferrying it to Oakland. As cool as Beer Rev is, it's not worth going to Oakland for. Actually, most things aren't worth going to Oakland for.

OP, hotwire or priceline are your friends when it comes to finding a place to stay. Are you looking for the scenic tour? The best beer around? How many places can you go before you pass out?

There are good beer places near most of the tourist attractions in the city. I'd love to show you around, but I'll be working on my tan in the French Riviera that week. If your dates change, post it up.

5. hu5om

thanks for all the advice, guys! sounds like we have a lot options which is awesome. We ended up booking a spare room through airbnb that's half a mile from toronado! too bad i still have to wait 3 months...

6. Since you'll be there on a weekday, you should take the Anchor Brewery tour (it's free but fills up quickly - give them a call to reserve a spot). Really amazing place and more or less endless free beer after the tour. Goat Hill Pizza is walking distance from there and a great post-tour munching spot.

No need to go to Oakland (I don't really understand why the first response to every person looking for SF information is "Go to Oakland!"). Do Toronado, City Beer & Anchor. If you're a half mile from Toronado, go eat fresh bread from Tartine, ice cream from Bi-Rite and a sandwich from Ike's. If you have a car and it's sunny, drive up to Grand View Park in the Sunset for the best view of the city (and Marin and the East Bay) that nobody knows about.

Srsly and jtmartino like this.
  7. jtmartino

Awesome recommendations, and they allow the OP to experience some other fun stuff in the city. He can also hit City Beer or Ales Unlimited to pick up some bottles to take home :).

8. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

I am an unabashed SF homer, but Beer Rev has by far the best selection of draught beers in the Bay Area. Last time I went I tried stuff from Dying Vines, Pac Brew Labs, and Heretic. Doubtful you will see all 3 of these at once on Toronado's board. I would also switch Bi-Rite with Humphry Slocombe and Ike's with Rhea's Deli.

9. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Advocate (510) California Nov 10, 2007

I second this. Book it today.

"Go to Oakland" isn't the point here. It's just that BerRev is THE best beer spot in the bay area, and if as a tourist, you can get there via a cruise (ferry) across San Francisco Bay there really is no good reason not to. You should certainly visit Toronado, OP, but trust me: on a June afternoon, your gf is going to appreciate the view from the bay more than she will the dank locker room aromas of Toronado. Spend an hour at BeerRev then ferry back to SF to explore the City. You won't regret it.

(Of course you could shell out the dough for a proper bay cruise, or a tour of Alcatraz, if you don't mind being held captive with a bunch of other tourists for two or three hours.)

stupac2 likes this.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I have to second this. I don't know what the two guys upthread experienced, but Beer Rev kicks the crap out of any other bar in the area. First off, it has over twice as many taps as Toronado (let alone city beer), and there will always be something good or new on. It also has the bottle selection of City Beer, all available to go, and only a $1 corkage fee (as opposed to their ridiculous $1-3 scale). There's also outdoor seating, so you can actually enjoy a beer on a nice June day instead of being locked in a dark dungeon (Toronado) or just staying inside (any other bar in SF). There will frequently be food trucks, too, and the vegan restaurant next door is surprisingly good. Oh, and they have "meet the brewer" or other events multiple times a week. This weekend is an imperial stout festival, for instance. Too far out to say if there will be something while you're here, but it's worth checking when it gets closer.

Plus The Trappist is right up the street, and is often worth visiting. They have a good number of imports on tap, and have some fancy bottles too (though they're pricy, I think a '97 Cantillon Kriek is like $100, but I also believe they have normal Cantillon for more reasonable prices). Between the two of them there's absolutely reason to visit Oakland, especially given how easy it is to BART over.

11. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I love Beer Rev, but they don't have twice the taps of Toronado. They might have 10 more, max.

jtmartino likes this.
  12. stupac2

Beer Rev has 47 on any given day, I thought Toronado's board stopped at 25 on normal days. I know they CAN go much more, but when I've been there on some non-special occasion, I really thought it was in the 20's.

13. jtmartino

Huh? They almost always have 40+ taps available on normal days. It doesn't look like much, but the first 3 columns of their board usually have at least 25. And Beer Rev's bottle selection doesn't compare to City Beer...at least what's in City Beer's special cooler.

And why spend time to hit Beer Rev when you can hit places like Toronado, La Trappe, Church Key, City Beer, Magnolia, Alembic, Zeitgeist, Pi and Monk's Kettle without leaving the city?

If it were me, I'd rather spend my day cruising around SF hitting a bunch of different places than spending a lot of my time at one location on the other side of the bay. Especially if I was on vacation and didn't have much time to spend to begin with. That, or I'd take a road trip and go hit breweries up north. Just my $0.02.

14. hu5om

we will be in denver, boulder, paso robles, santa cruz, and santa rosa for this trip also. Should be a pretty sweet beercation.

15. stupac2

Okay, well, I've never seen it. And yeah, City Beer's special cooler is great... except that it's all on-site only and ridiculously overpriced.

16. stupac2

I wanted to add a few things. I think this little spat has missed the forest for the trees. There are a lot of things to do in the Bay Area, and plenty of good beer spots to hit. Some people might like some places better, others might like others. But if you're making a list of "Top 10 bars in the Bay Area" Toronado, Beer Rev, City Beer, and The Trappist will all be on there. You can quibble about the rankings, but I don't think anyone would leave them off. Beer Rev is my #1 bar, you might disagree, but I think we all know it's worth visiting (same for Toronado, or whatever).

OP, you should definitely look these places up and decide for yourself, regardless of what we all think. Hell, if you're just doing a beercation and skipping the touristy crap, you'll have plenty of time to do it all.

jtmartino and afrokaze like this.
  17. jtmartino

Totally! Didn't want to get into a pissing war and you're right - there's a lot of good stuff around, and you can't really go wrong on either side of the bay.

And you're right about CB's special cooler...way expensive. But that didn't stop a couple buddies and I from enjoying a 3x retail price bottle of Beatification Batch 003 there a couple weeks ago! :)

18. stupac2

I really wanted to grab one of those, and then they were sold out the time I was going to! Fortunately got a pour from Natalie herself at -tion night. No matter what you think of Toronado, they put on a good event.

19. jtmartino

We've totally derailed the thread by now, but that's awesome about the pour from Natalie. I missed the -tion night due to V-day commitments. I.E. I got too drunk last year and my girlfriend wasn't happy with my less-than-stellar performance at dinner, so I had to make it up to her this year.

Will try again next year.

20. You should bring me a keg from WI.