1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

SF Toronado Barleywine Fest Thread

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by kaseydad, Feb 16, 2013.

1. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (740) California Nov 23, 2008

Heading there tomorrow. Any surprises? Disappointments? Highlights? Failures?

2. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

If it's still there, get Boneyard Notorious. Ballast Point rum three sheets is a disaster.

flexabull and teamizm like this.
  3. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

Bear Republic - Old Scoutter's 2010 was tasty

4. AndrewK

AndrewK Savant (410) California Oct 20, 2006

Second the notorious. My favs were BA old blarney, sucaba, arctic devil, and glacier big woody. You can probably tell I like bals.

5. mikehblack

mikehblack Savant (260) California Feb 10, 2010

Missed out on the Sucaba and Boneyard when I got there around 4:30 but the Heaven Hill Old Blarney and Big Woody were tasty. I love how these events always manage to attract people looking for liquor or "light lagers."

6. teamizm

teamizm Savant (395) California Feb 4, 2005

I really disliked Big Woody this year. In the past its always been one of my favorites but all I got was raisons this time around. Boneyard Notorious blew my mind. Also, can't ever go wrong with Arctic Devil.

flexabull likes this.
  7. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (740) California Nov 23, 2008

Not sure if it was there yesterday but the Toronado brought out a keg of Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot today. That was an awesome surprise since most of the special kegs had blown the previous day. No Arctic Devil, Big Woody or Nortorious. Heretic Brewing had a standout in Dead Weight. Really good stuff. Looking forward to next year.

8. AndrewK

AndrewK Savant (410) California Oct 20, 2006

Was disappointed that they didn't tap BA Bigfoot from the get-go considering I saw several kegs hanging out in the back room on Saturday, but glad they eventually put them on I guess.

9. went on Sunday and was stoked to get some BA Bigfoot. The Green Flash/Cigar City collab was also really interesting. Aged on cedar, and boy could you smell/taste it.

Did anyone else pick up sour flavors from the North Coast Old Stock? Usually it's one of my favorites, but this tasted off

10. teamizm

teamizm Savant (395) California Feb 4, 2005

I tasted the off-flavors as well. Magnolia's Old Thunderpussy tasted a bit off as well. Surprising since it had to travel maybe half a mile to Toronado.

11. went to Magnolia afterwards and ordered their Strong Beer Flight. Holy shit. That is not a flight. It's a monster. Delicious beers though. The Wee Heavy, Old Thunderpussy (both regular and on cask) were really good.

Also their burger was amazing