1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shandy vs. Radler

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Phantomegg, May 21, 2013.

1. Would like to know in easy terms as to what exactly is the difference between a "Shandy" and a "Radler" is. As of this time it seems like this summer is going to the summer of the Shandy's no matter the brewery.

2. I'll take a stab: a Radler is a specific type of Shandy, in that the former is beer mixed with German-style lemonade (i.e., carbonated lemon soda, like 7up or Sprite), while a Shandy is any beer/soft drink mixture.

Square/rectangle sort of thing.

3. Shandy is the English word and Radler is the German word.

That’s the basic difference.

In Germany a Radler will always be a pale lager (Helles, Export or Pils) mixed with 7up 1:1. Other combinations exist, but have different names (e.g. Hefeweizen and 7up is called a "Russ").

In Britain shandy is not really very common any more. The proportions of beer to 7up may vary too. Mass-market lager mixed with 7up is often called "lager top" rather than shandy.

rauchfest and steveh like this.
  4. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

One means "To ruin beer" the other means "To ruin Lemonade"

Just depends on the etymology.

5. ...as hilarious as I find this post, I actually have to admit that I tasted the stiegl radler grapefruit recently, and really enjoyed it... it tasted like grapefruit soda... but i guess there was alcohol...

IMO: grapefruit soda with alcohol > grapefruit soda w/o alcohol

Docrock, sgwagner, Providence and 4 others like this.
  6. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

If its that scorching outside that I need to add soda or lemonade to my beer, I'm drinking icewater.... or a better beer indoors.

DStoked and 5thOhio like this.
  7. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

I recommend two parts Anchor Steam Summer Ale to one part San Pellegrino Limonata. The only label you'll need is...refreshing!

8. The Shandies made in the US all seem to be a beer/lemonade combination. From what I've learned, this was caused by US brewers misunderstanding the use by the English of the term "lemon soda" (comparable brands in this country being Sprite or 7-Up) and assuming it meant lemonade.

There is a statement, attributed to several different authors, (Churchilll, Wilde, Shaw to name a few) "England and the US are two great peoples separated by a common language."

9. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Same here. It tasted like a natural grapefruit soda, not Squirt. It tasted very good, but not much like a fruit beer. Our market was the first to get the cans.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I think they are around 2.5% abv.

10. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

Love that stuff. Is that available in Chicago now?

11. GuzzLah

Yes, I saw the cans in the store for the first time the other day. The bottles have been around for several years. The Stiegl importer is based here.

12. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

beer only /thread.

13. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

We get it on draft from time to time in San Diego. Want some cans now.

14. GuzzLah

They only plan to distribute the cans in the Midwest for now. You might be able to order some from Archer Liquors.

15. Yes. I just bought a 6 pack of bottles last weekend. Not sure about the can format.

16. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

Stiegl lager is the Bud of Austria, and the radler would gag a maggot

17. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Stiegl Radler is delicious. It tastes like

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. GuzzLah

I'm aware Stiegl is the Bud of Austria. Saying their radler would gag a maggot is quite ridiculous.

19. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Stiegl's lemon Radler is EXCEPTIONAL.

20. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

Schoefferhofer has one too (w/ grapefruit).

21. GuzzLah

I can buy that one locally and have been tempted.

22. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I make a very tasty one by mixing Chuckanut Pilsener and Squirt 1:1. Great on our rare hot days.

23. I once drain-poured an entire 12 pack of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.
    After taking a sip, I decided neither I, nor any of my quests should dare actually try to choke this stuff down.

Tut likes this.
  24. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

Really?

Find a well ripened road kill, pour some on, and watch the maggots abandon ship!

25. Two each their own man, two each their own....

26. At least pour it on your lawn where the dog peas or burnt areas of the lawn its good for the lawn it is at least that good.

Tut likes this.
  27. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Many years ago when I was in Southern Germany they used the term Gespritzt. It was the local beer plus a splash or squirt of lemonade but nowhere near 1:1. I loved it back then and enjoy the Steigl versions after mowing the lawn..