1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Sharing "Rare Beer" with everyone

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by BreakingBad, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

This is a big shout out to Ryan!!! A couple weeks ago I put a thread out there asking if I had any beer worthy of trading for a Kate the Great and unfortunately the answer was No. But then I got a Message from a random BA saying he had a Kate the Great 2010 and he would share it with me on Darkness day!! I was Ecstatic and we met up and He followed through on his word!! What a great guy and a great community!!! This is exactly what I love about BA is that no matter what we can come together and share rare beer. And I have to say that Kate the Great is just one of those beers that actually does live up to the hype! Again Thank you ryan!! Share your other stories about sharing hard to find beer with people.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

This is how it should be. None of this "baseball card" collecting bullshit. Beer is meant to be enjoyed and shared! Kudos to you guys!!!

JJFoodie, Holmes698, Pahn and 10 others like this.
  3. That's fun. I'm sure a stranger has shared something special with Ryan, now you need to share something special with a stranger. Keep the good beer karma circle running!

JJFoodie and Lorianneb like this.
  4. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

That's how it's done. Good to hear people share the wealth.

AleWatcher likes this.
  5. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

What was ryan's user name?

6. how was it? was thinking of drinking one myself.

7. Maybe the OP can verify, but I have a suspicion it was Schlais. I traded with him this summer and the 10 Kate was part of our trade. When I spoke with him before Darkness, he mentioned that he planned on bringing the bottle to share. If so, cheers to you Ryan!

BreakingBad and claaark13 like this.
  8. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Wait....you mother fuckers not only DRINK beer....but you SHARE it with other people???

9. Schlais

Schlais Savant (305) Minnesota Sep 28, 2011

Thanks Ben for the shout out! Didn't expect to see a post about this. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Took me forever to find you, but you had plenty of beer to share too! And you offered to send a random box of goodies too!

This is 100% true! Please keep the circle going forever!

10. Schlais

Schlais Savant (305) Minnesota Sep 28, 2011

Oh and a thank you to BarrytheBear for hooking up the KtG '10! And one more shout out to leschkie, who responded to a Berserker question, and offered a free bottle of Berserker at Darkness Day! Thank you to all of you generous BA'ers!

11. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (340) New York Mar 22, 2008

It is the end of our community as we know it....

MarkIntihar likes this.
  12. Ryan is a good dude, and a man of his word. I tried to pry that very Kate away from him with a Rare and he held firm on his commitment to share it at DD. Now granted, I was asking a shitload else in return in addition to the Kate ;), but gotta give Ryan his due recognition. Cheers!

BreakingBad likes this.
  13. Shilt

Shilt Savant (450) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Ryan's an amazing trader, and overall good dude as stated above. Glad to see these kind of stories!

MITCHELLMPLS likes this.
  14. Thats pretty awesome man... But im still curious if you ever received my package... never heard back from you.

BreakingBad likes this.
  15. I had a really good experience offering a bottle of Parabola (not a "rare" beer I know but good luck finding many in the southeast) to a nearby beer advocate (who runs a nice beer blog) if he would pick up a bottle of Evil Twin IBB for me (a store in his area got it in and I wasn't sure if I'd get a chance to pick one up or not before they were gone). Turns out I could have got it myself (ended up getting some extra bottles to cellar) but, rather than feel disappointed I "wasted" a bottle of Parabola or something like that, I could only feel glad I got to get him a bottle of it since he'd never had it, and meet a friendly BA in the process (we did an IP trade and both threw in some small but nice extras). I think that experience, and knowing that I helped someone try a beer they really wanted to, is worth more than any perceived difference in rarity/availability or cost considerations.

16. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I can thank Zxchris6 for sharing his DDG at a tasting with me. Hes like a modern day Ferris bueller. A righteous dude. Everyone loves him.

Cheers!

17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

wait, there are people who don't share their beer with other people? why not?

cavedave, Rutager and BreakingBad like this.
  18. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I assume the only possible answer is they are fucking nihilists.

cosmicevan likes this.
  19. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

20. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

the dude abides.

21. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Well, for example, former user BrohamidAli. I would prefer not to share beer with complete knobs.

22. BreakingBad

you guys really hate this guy man what did he do?

23. BreakingBad

got back to you thanks for the extras! look forward to trading with you in the future

24. BreakingBad

If anyone want to know this was Schlais, great, great BA

25. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (340) New York Mar 22, 2008

I cracked open a SA Utopias 2012 with co-workers the other night after a beer event. Does that count?

Lorianneb and BreakingBad like this.
  26. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Threatened to break my jaw. Internet tough guys are fun.

27. BreakingBad

lololololol what? no way

28. MarkIntihar

Yep. He got called out for blatantly trying to boost the trade value of his Dark Lord and took offense when I called him out for it. Mentioned something about a boxing coach and people sounding stupid with broken jaws. Sadly, the thread is long since deleted.

29. BreakingBad

lolol okay yeah that's pretty F*ing stupid

30. MarkIntihar, Ehammond1, Jealouschalice, Jerz and Vacax share all the whales,bro

nanobrew, Franch, mcbeerbrew and 2 others like this.
  31. BreakingBad

?

ehammond1 likes this.
  32. hegemonycricket

hegemonycricket Initiate (0) Chad Jul 17, 2012

Yea, some people are real pieces of shit.

33. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

Agreed. I think that guy was a big fan of that TV show about the high school chemistry that makes meth.

Franch likes this.
  34. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (275) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

I like pretty much everything about this thread, except what it was originally about.

7clutch and Franch like this.
  35. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Yea, some people are real pieces of shit.

36. MarkIntihar

Can't possibly "like" this enough.

mcbeerbrew and ehammond1 like this.
  37. I don't know about you guys but I always drink my whales and never share them. I do however send all my friends pictures of me drinking said whale. Does that count as sharing?

ehammond1 likes this.
  38. BreakingBad

let's not turn this into a hate thread. I still want to promote sharing beer with everyone!

39. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Same here. Unless they're a complete knob.

Franch, mcbeerbrew and BreakingBad like this.
  40. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Ya know what makes a whale taste better? sharing the beer with other people who might not of been lucky enough to go to the release ...... Or people that do not have the ammo to land some of these so called whales. A beer is only as good as the friends you share it with. And i have met plenty complete strangers that i can now call friends just by sharing a beer!

Life is to short to hoard your beers. Its only a great beer if more people can enjoy it too and talk about meeting a complete strange because he was pouring beer randomly to ba's that were interested in trying it

Jamie :)