1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

1. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

In the glass: Stille Nacht Reserva 2010
    On the plate: BBQ Chicken Pizza on the left & Combo Pizza ( Italian Sausage + Vege) on the right. No, I don't make the pizza like Iron Chef bpgpitt10 :D
    [​IMG]
    The pairing, sadly, didn't work. SNR 2010 can't go with either of the pizza. Its strong fruit,oaky and vinous taste dominates the plates. Also, it has a thick sweet toffee note at the end that completely makes the flavor off. SNR may pair better with dessert. I think it is a dessert beer, close to a port. However, the beer is outstanding on its own and drinkability is off the roof. I can down a few glasses of this 12% beer over the course of a football game. Move over, Bud Light, SNR 2010 is the better choice for NFL.​
    In the glass: Fou Foune 2011
    On the plate: Same as above. Try to have better result.​
    [​IMG]
    This pairing works awesome. Fou Foune paired well with pizza ( amazing), especially the combo with Italian sausage. Its refreshing lemony tartness cut through the fat and apricot fruit note compliment the sauce. Also, its light body and funky goes well with the wheat flavor of the crush. Now I understand they usually pair gueuze with spaghetti in Belgium. Too bad I can't have Fou Foune/gueuze to drink with pizza that often. :eek:

2. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

[​IMG]
    In the glass: Founders Centennial IPA
    On the plate: hickory smoked turkey, black forest ham, and fried eggplant (w/ a little mayo) sandwich (great bread BTW) and a little pile of potato and egg salad, sprinkled with paprika.

Yeah, I'm a beer and sandwich guy.

3. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

delayed post, Christmas morning brunch

on the plate: French toast with almonds and a side of honey baked ham
    in the glass: 2011 GI Christmas Ale

[​IMG]

4. Greywulfken

[​IMG]
    On the plate: scallops wrapped in bacon with a little brown sugar glaze
    [​IMG]
    In the glass: Piraat.

On the tube: the God-awful CBS pre-game show. But soon, Baltimore at Denver.

5. futura123

You should start a new sub-forum, beer and TV pairing. I'd like to know what to drink when watching girls gone wild. Perhaps American Wild Ale?

Greywulfken and ehammond1 like this.
  6. Is the recipe for this on your blog?

7. In the Glass: Duvel
    On the plate: Everything (as in the bagel) spiced Haddock w/ some veggies, raw oysters

Traveling about 4 days a week for the forseeable future so looks like my pictures will be limited. At Legal Sea Foods tonight where the pairing of Duvel with the seafood was pretty great. The oysters were natural meaty/salty/sweet and had a spice from some horseradish that the Duvel just complimented so well. Heck, even the dash of lemon juice hit well with the citrus in the beer. The Haddock was spice crusted with all the things you get on top of an everything bagel. It was a bit of a mishmash of flavor (just ok overall), but the beer worked pretty well given the massive variety of flavors and the delicate nature of the fish.

BeerKangaroo and Greywulfken like this.
  8. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

No, but I could write it up for you real quick and message ya

9. In the Glass: BCBS '12 and Founders Porter
    On the Plate: Homemade cherry chocolate truffles coated with peanuts

I'm torn on which was the better pairing. The founders was a bit more nutty which was great with the peanuts, but the cherry and dark chocolate flavors were great with the BCBS. I'd lean more toward the BCBS again, but I wouldn't complain with either pairing again.
    [​IMG]

10. Greywulfken

On the plate: Put together a little pizza (tomato, mozzarella, fresh basil, minced garlic, and prosciutto)
    In the glass: Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye IPA

[​IMG]
    The pairing was so-so - the beer was good, and the pizza was good, but I think the rye was a little heavy-handed for the pizza's flavors (not exactly complimentary, y'know?) - next time I'd go with a lighter/paler ale - a regular IPA or a Belgian pale or a saison probably would've worked better.

So I basically just ate the pizza and then finished the beer afterward ;) No harm, no foul, eh?

11. Bierlerner

In the glass: Choc Brewing "Gose"
    On the plate: Salmon with avocado crema and mixed greens with just a bit of balsamic vinaigrette

[​IMG]

Was rather nice. Tart, wheat, citrus, and light carb of the gose really paired well with the oily salmon and was awesome with the light avocado crema as well. With the greens and tinge of vinaigrette, it was overall a nicely balanced meal and drink combo.

12. callryan

callryan Disciple (70) California Jan 21, 2011

Here is a pairing dinner I put togther for a friend that just got married. It was a fun event and the food turned out good all around. The best part of the night was introducing sours to a group of friends and converting them to sour lovers.
    Hors d’oevre
    Smoked Salmon with sweet honey mustard sauce
    Aged Dante Gouda Cheese
    Prosciutto Di Parma
    Pairing
    Bruery – Saison De Lente Vintage 2012, 2011 & 2010: Saison / Farmhouse Ale 6.5 AVB%. Light amber/caramel in color, fruity and herbal-like aroma with a hint of spices. Experience the change of the fruit being reduced and the spicy earthy nature taking over though the older vintages. BA rated 91
    Amuse-gueule
    Grilled lobster tail with a champagne vanilla sauce
    Pairing
    The Lost Abbey – Red Poppy Ale: Flanders Red Ale 5.5 AVB%. Enjoy the celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in oak barrel for over 6 months. BA rated 94
    Potage
    Stone Ruination Garlic Cheddar Cheese Soup
    Pairing
    Stone Brewing – Ruination IPA: American Double / Imperial IPA 7.7 ABV%. Pours a beautiful pale golden color with smells of huge dank, resinous, and piney at first then develops into floral tone in the background. BA rated 95
    Le plat principal
    Petit Filet Mignon with a RIS Stout reduction sauce and topped with Maytag blue cheese.
    Pairing
    Firestone Brewery – Parabola / Bourbon Barrel-Aged Russian Imperial Stout 12.5 ABV%. Parabola is made by aging the stout for 8 months in circa 1990’s Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. The aged beers flavor is ridiculously awesome with a blend of bourbon, roasted barely, milk chocolate, molasses, and a touch of coffee. BA rated 99
    Le dessert
    Espresso Stout Float
    Great Divide Brewing – Espresso Oaked Aged Yeti / Imperial Stout 9.5 ABV%. A generous infusion of espresso adds complexity to this beer, combining with the vanilla oak character. As the French vanilla ice cream melts, a chilled cappuccino develops into dessert. BA rated 93
    Guest Appearances
    The Lost Abbey – Carnevale / Saison Farmhouse Ale 6.5 ABV%. Carnevale is a dry hopped saison ale sporting a hazy yellow color and moderately spicy nose with hints of oranges and tangerines from Amarillo and Simcoe hops. The yeast phenols add layers of clove and allspice. The beer is designed to be a lighter body ale with some malted oats and wheat components and dry hopped with Amarillo to emphasize the bright citric qualities. BA rated 89
    The Lost Abbey – Framboise De Amorosa / American Wild Ale 7.0 ABV%. Aged in used red wine barrels and tastes of tart raspberry dominates with a slight oak finish and a little funk. BA rated 94
    Allagash Brewing – Allagash Curieux / Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel 11 ABV%. Curieux is made by aging the Tripel Ale in Jim Beem bourbon barrels for eight weeks in cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon, BA rated 93
    Stone Brewery – Vintage 2011 Russian Imperial Stout 10.5 ABV%. Opens with a lovely cream-and-malt aroma that bears, on the one hand, notes of heavy cream, brown sugar, vanilla, and caramel, and on the other, a far darker set of aromas including ash, tobacco, and chocolate and black malt. A good set of fruit esters, including fig, date, and plum, bring out more variety, as does a good undertone of milk chocolate. BA rated 97
    The Bruery– Black Tuesday / Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout 18.5 ABV%. The infamous Black Tuesday is aged in Bourbon barrels for over a year. The beer is a decadent example of an imperial stout with notes of rich caramel, toasted malt, vanilla, and burnt wood. BA rated 98

13. Did you make all this food? Looks freaking amazing!

14. In the glass: Cuvee des Jacobins
    On the plate: Different take on coq au vin. Red wine braised chicken with red wine gravy, bacon fat smashed potatoes, and mushroom / green beans.

Overall the pairing worked out pretty well. I figured red wine was the most obvious choice for a pairing so I picked a relatively analogous beer in the Cuvee des Jacobins. The acidity worked well with the richness of the potatoes and match the flavors of the gravy and chicken well. Gravy was a bit chunky because I didn't feel like straining the braising liquid because I don't really care about gravy being smooth.
    [​IMG]

15. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

16oz filet tenderloin medium rare topped with grilled asparagus and jumbo lump crab with karbach bodacious. Overcooked my fresh bearnaise, and ran out of eggs, so had to improvise a quick chardonnay/butter/shallot/terragon/garlic/lemon sauce. Turned out really really good.

[​IMG]

16. mnguyen281

I also had this yesterday for breakfast. A super rich and creamy cheesecake with a 2012 bourbon county stout. Omfg this beer is the most delicious beer i've ever had. Bar none i have never said "o shit!" Out loud for a beer. Hype deserved. I didn't even care about the cheesecake. If anyone has any and would like to trade, i'd give up my first born for some, just message me. LOVED the combo.

[​IMG]

17. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Last night
    In the glass: Flying Dog Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale
    On the plate: A shrimp dish I threw together with some ingredients I had at hand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mnguyen281

Eating a vietnamese spicy beef soup (bun bo hue) with an imperial IPA (southern star pro-am 2012). Delicious. Next time you're at a pho restaurant, ask and see if they serve bun bo hue. Try it. Its different and very very good.

[​IMG]

19. Bierlerner

In the Glass: GD Titan IPA
    On the Plate: Buffalo beer chicken meatballs

Played around and made these today to see if they'd be good for Super Bowl. Obviously a great combo (IPA and spicy hot foods). I used IPA in the meatballs and the buffalo sauce. Just a kinda different spin on buffalo chicken wings.

[​IMG]

20. mnguyen281

Did this a while back. Bacon wrapped filet mignon topped with blue cheese, spinach salad with mandarin oranges, raspberries, and pecans, and (512) whiskey barrel aged double pecan porter.

[​IMG]

21. In the Glass: Dogfish Head World Wide Stout
    On the Plate: Stilton-Stuffed Burger w/ a Madeira, Mushroom and Black Garlic Sauce

I was feeling indulgent, so I whipped this up for dinner last night. It was pretty glorious. Forgot to take a picture, though.

Greywulfken and ehammond1 like this.
  22. futura123

I love to pair Vietnamese food with IPA/DIPA. Usually I have Pho ( beef noodle soup) with PtE. Yesterday I had Hu Tieu Nam Vang ( pork based noode soup) with Lagunitas Sucks, and they are perfect harmony.

ehammond1 and mnguyen281 like this.
  23. Hockey_Fan

In the Glass: Pinkus Organic Ur Pils
    On the Plate: Broiled Island Teriyaki Mahi Mahi and pineapple fried rice.

[​IMG]

24. Hockey_Fan

Went out to lunch with my office today.

I started with a butternut squash soup with kaffir lime, crème fraiche, and toasted pumpkin seeds. For my entree I had grilled salmon served on roasted parsnip puree with roasted honey mushrooms and warm truffle vinaigrette. I paired this with Founders Dirty Bastard.

BeerKangaroo and ehammond1 like this.
  25. Hockey_Fan

In the Glass: Harpoon UFO White
    On the Plate: Nachos

[​IMG]

26. How was that together? My general inclination would be to say that it wouldn't be a great pairing.

ehammond1 likes this.
  27. Hockey_Fan

It wasn't bad; I found it refreshing against the hot sauce. But maybe something hoppier would be a better pairing.

ehammond1 likes this.
  28. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it's goooooooooooooooodddd!

29. mycatsissy

mycatsissy Aficionado (130) Florida Feb 22, 2009

On the Plate: Herbed roasted chicken, butternut squash ravioli and browned butter with shallots crisped sage leaves, roasted asparagus
    In the Glass: Duvel Rustica - The ravioli with the beer was perfection. The entire meal was delicious.

30. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

from the other night, yet again IPA with spicy food doesn't disappoint! (apologies for the crappy picture)

on the plate: homemade thai shrimp curry
    in the glass: lagunitas sucks

[​IMG]

31. jdhende

jdhende Savant (355) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

My food and beer pairings for tomorrow for valentines day with the lady.Blue point oysters with cuvée de jacobins. Second course of mussels and cantillon classic gueuze and a crusty baguette. Third course sweet corn Mac and cheese and black pepper roasted tenderloin with Saison DuPont. Last but not least chocolate covered strawberries with central waters bba stout.

bpgpitt10 likes this.
  32. Hockey_Fan

On the Plate: Lemon & herb broiled pollock, sautéed spinach, and brown rice with peas & carrots.
    In the Glass: Flying Dog UnderDog Atlantic Lager.

[​IMG]

33. Greywulfken

Beer and sandwich guy here.

In the glass: Great Divide's Belgian Style Yeti Russian Imperial stout
    On the plate: Virginia ham and breaded eggplant w/ a little mayo on a classic baguette
    [​IMG]
    Oh, man. First of all, the Belgian Yeti is nuts - lots of molasses and dark ripe fruitiness in a dark chocolate and espresso stout. Relatively light on the palate and not too heavy in the belly either. Too drinkable.
    Now, pair that with sweet Virginia ham, creamy mayonnaise, and the juicy and slightly spicy eggplant. The bread was a little too much. I gutted the top half but maybe should have done the same with the bottom - I liked the chewiness, but it was a bit too bready. Maybe more ham would have done the trick, too. None-the-less, a nice combo.

Coldsnack, Henamonster and Bierlerner like this.
  34. Greywulfken

lol ;)

match1112 likes this.
  35. Homemade Mulligatawny with Jai Alai IPA
    [​IMG]

36. Bierlerner

In the glass: Lindemans Framboise and Sierra Nevada Narwhal
    On the plate: Framboise poached pears with Mascarpone

[​IMG]

I've made this before and I made again this weekend cause the lady requested it. I paired with same beer I poached with, then paired with the RIS, then paired with the RIS mixed with a little of the framboise. Each were completely different. I think the best to come out of the pairing was the RIS, though the RIS with a splash of the framboise was great too. The framboise itself was sweet enough, but I felt too much comparing flavors. The dessert itself is creamy and fruity. The roast and hop and carbonation of Narwhal was an excellent contrast.

37. Man, those look delicious.

38. this is officially my most favorite thread to watch.... thank you to all involved!

39. In the glass: 2009 Westy 12
    On the plate: Venison tenderloin and shitake mushrooms over cannellini bean, goat cheese puree with a sour cherry, red wine reduction

The pairing was straight up perfect. Such a nice mix with the gamey venison and the semi-sweet reduction. The plating looks comical. The puree got a bit too thin so it ended up looking like a heart bleeding out rather than a nice Valentine's dish!!

[​IMG]

40. Bierlerner

Sounds fucking fantastic

futura123 likes this.