1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

1. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Could you post this recipe or a link to it, please.
  2. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (325) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

3. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

[​IMG]

On the plate: Jamaican jerk-seasoned shrimp over white rice
    [​IMG]

In the glass...er, can: Heady Topper
    [​IMG]
    Hot, spicy shrimp and bitter 120 IBU Heady were a lot on the palate - of course the beer does nothing to cut into the heat lol, but just makes your tongue sizzle even more - that said, a nice pairing for fans of crisp beer and spicy food.
  4. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Eating light tonight.
    In the Glass: Bare Ass Blonde Ale - DuClaw Brewing Co.
    On the Plate: Salad with grilled chicken, pecans, and goat cheese

[​IMG]
    Greywulfken, ehammond1 and Bierlerner like this.
  5. Bierlerner

I can dig this. Toss some purple onion and sliced strawberries in there next time too. Yum.
    Hockey_Fan likes this.
  6. In the glass: Nugget Nectar
    On the plate: Homemade pizza w/ beer infused pizza dough that I just used some leftover Kirkland red-ale someone had brought over

I am converted. Nugget Nectar is the best beer to have with pizza. It was a little slice of heaven (hey-oh) and better then my normal IPA pairing in so many ways.

I made the beer infused dough because it only called for a 2 hours rise time. It turned out ok, but it definitely didn't fully form glutens the way my 12 hour rise or 3 day cold ferment doughs normally do. I guess that's the trade-off for time... or maybe it required significantly more kneading. Who knows, but it's still pizza.
    [​IMG]
  7. alelover

alelover Advocate (585) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

i wish i would of never looked at this thread.. my mouth is watering!!
    Greywulfken and match1112 like this.
  8. Greywulfken

In the glass: Nugget Nectar
    On the plate: shrimp corndogs (yep, there's shrimp in there) w/ a sweet/spicy chili orange marmalade sauce
    [​IMG]
    In my belly: all of the above ;)
  9. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

Cherry Rye & Erica's delicious chocolate cake
    [​IMG]
  10. Zaphog

2010 GI Fleur
    [​IMG]

bacon wrapped/Colby Jack stuffed jalapeno poppers with tomato & fresh mozzarella
    [​IMG]
  11. Bierlerner

12. In the glass: Great Lakes Eliot Ness
    On the plate: Seared pork chop with potatoes, mushrooms, and kale and a red wine, blackberry, mustard sauce

Pairing was pretty good. The sauce had lots of flavors going on (used the bones to draw out more of the pork flavor) so I wanted to use a pretty mellow beer. Pretty tasty stuff despite the fact that I slightly overcooked the pork a bit. The sauce was the bomb-diggity though so that made up for the over cooking.

[​IMG]
  13. Hockey_Fan

In the Glass: DuClaw Bare Ass Blonde
    On the Plate: Southwestern Seasoned Tilapa; corn; and seasoned brown rice with onion, and roasted red peppers and poblano peppers.

[​IMG]
    Greywulfken, ehammond1 and futura123 like this.
  14. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

in the glass: terrapin wake n' bake
    on the plate: terrapin wake n' bake truffles

Chocolaty, creamy, & just plain decadent!

[​IMG]
  15. In the glass: Moerlein's Doppelbock
    On the Plate: Mussels in a white wine broth and parsnip frites

Moerlein's courtesy of a Christmas beer-of-the-month club. I wanted to make the mussels with an IPA, but didn't have any on hand. Instead, I just went with the old white wine standby. The caramel-like notes of the doppelbock went surprisingly well with the dish.

[​IMG]
  16. Bierlerner

Never can go wrong with mussels
  17. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I decided to make an impromptu fish soup tonight out of the bones of a striped bass my girlfriend and I got for valentines day, that actually had a good bit of meat left on them because I'm apparently bad at filleting fish. So absurdly simple, yet it turned out amazing, especially with a piece of toasted crusty bread dropped on top.

Pairing it with a Flying Dog In-heat Hef, which is actually working really, really well. This is actually one of the best meals I've had in a while.
    Greywulfken and Bierlerner like this.
  18. Bierlerner

In the Glass: Prairie Artisan Ales "Prairie Hop" dry-hopped saison
    On the plate: Saison and cream poached salmon with thyme and citrus

Made the poaching liquid with the saison, heavy cream, shallots, fresh orange juice and lemon juice, garlic, and thyme. Poached the salmon in that, then reduced the liquid to a nice sauce. Topped with fresh squeeze of lemon juice and some chives. Turned out rather well. Didn't overdue the sauce. Everything was nice and citrusy. And saisons have a natural affinity for salmon anyway. Twas a great pairing and cooking fun.

[​IMG]
  19. I've never had fish soup before, but this sounds delicious. What else went into it?
  20. Sneers

Started by sweating some onions, celery and carrot, then tossed in some chopped parsley. Added water and the fish carcass. Once the meat was all cooked, I took out the skeleton* (most of the meat had fallen off anyways, and then I ate the head separately), and added some cubed potatoes. The only other seasonings were salt and pepper. It's so simple I feel like I can barely take credit for how well it turned out.

*Probably could have let it stay in longer to get more flavor out of it, but I was kind of impatient.
    Henamonster likes this.
  21. Sounds awesome! I've wanted to play around with putting some stout and/or bourbon into truffles before but my fiance has always shot me down. They are for here mostly sooo I haven't done it yet. I need to give it a go though!
    queens1130 likes this.
  22. Zaphog

Bell's Smitten Golden Rye Ale w/ BBQ chicken breast, potato salad and mac & cheese.
    [​IMG]
    Greywulfken, futura123 and Hockey_Fan like this.
  23. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

In the glass : [​IMG]

On the plate : bowl of moose tracks premium ice cream.

Honestly, I've never in my life had had a better combination then this!
    BeerKangaroo and Greywulfken like this.
  24. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Speedway seems like it was made to be paired with ice cream. The very first time I ever had it I ate some Ben & Jerrys half baked alongside it, I even poured a little bit of the Speedway into the ice cream and it was damn near perfection!
  25. Greywulfken

In the glass: Finishing off a delicious new beer, Rum Barrel Golden Ale from Evolution Brewing
    On the plate: tempura fried shrimp with a sweet and spicy orange dipping sauce
    [​IMG]
    The beer had lots of sweet pineapple and rum notes that were a spot-on accompaniment to the crunchy battered shrimp and their sweet orange sauce. Good livin'.
  26. Hockey_Fan

In the Glass: Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
    On the Plate: Southwestern style shrimp

[​IMG]
  27. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

03/03 is the shrimp day for BA ;) Well done.
    Greywulfken likes this.
  28. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

been a while since I posted, had dinner at the neighbors.

On the Plate: Cedar plank grilled salmon with lemon, couscous, and brussel sprouts
    In the glass: 2010 Cuvee De Ranke

[​IMG]
  29. Bierlerner

In The Glass: Marshall Brewing "Old Pavilion Pilsner"
    On the Plate: Beer brined and smoked chicken

Brined the chicken in pilsner and sage leaves. Easy rub mix. Then Smoked at 225 with a 50/50 pecan and mesquite wood mix. I'm not one for smoked beers with smoked foods. Too much smoke in my opinion. The pilsner went rather well though. Earthy, floral, and hoppy. Seemed a great combo. An amber ale would work great too, I believe.
    [​IMG]
  30. Greywulfken

In the glass: my very first of Stone's Enjoy By series (I had until 04.01.13 to drink it - like that would be a problem - lol)
    On the plate: breaded eggplant, Virginia ham, and pastrami seasoned turkey w/ a little mayo on a Miami onion roll with some Wise potato chips and a couple of olives
    [​IMG]
    Foolproof. ;)
  31. Sneers

Looks good. How long did it take to smoke?
  32. Bierlerner

That was a 4lb chicken. Think it took around 3.5-4 hours to smoke. Internal temp was 165 when I pulled it.
  33. Zaphog

On the plate: Cinnamon French toast w/ homemade whipped cream
    In the glass: A bit of BCBVS that my wife stashed from last night
    [​IMG]
  34. In the glass: Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
    On the plate: Pecan crusted chicken breast with a blue moon / orange glaze and a cilantro chimichurri. Sides of roasted veggies and toasted quinoa.

The pairing was pretty solid, but not perfect. I expected the glaze to be more forefront, but the chimichurri was the main flavor. I think a saison would have been pretty nice as well. Not sure how to incorporate some of the toasty / nutty flavor with all the herbal / citrus going on... can't think of a pairing that would incorporate all of those things. Thoughts?

[​IMG]
  35. Bierlerner

Looks and sounds terrific.

In my opinion, with the toasted pecans, citrus, and herbal presence you described in the meal, I'm thinking maybe an American amber ale would work well. The malts would compliment the toastiness and chicken, and the hops be great with the citrus and herbs.
  36. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Nothing fancy... wife comes home with store bought pie from Whole Foods (it was a sale)... you already have spelt oat pasta and Italian sausage ready...

BOOM IMPROVISE

[​IMG]
    Founders - All Day IPA and Pizza by imbibehour, on Flickr

Throw the sausage on the pizza and grab a beer... Boom done!
  37. Sneers

Early dinner for me tonight (I usually eat dinner around 9). But I made a simple sauce with butter, (very) reduced beef stock, and rosemary then tossed with spaghetti. Even if I had a camera, I wouldn't bother taking a picture of it, as it doesn't look like much. I'm pairing it with Long Trail's Double Bad sticke, and I the combo is only decent. The maltiness melds with the savoriness of the sauce, the hops add a little brightness, but the beer is a little too strong for the dish, particularly in its bitterness. This is on top of the fact that I made the sauce a little too intense. Next time I think I'd roll back the amount of stock I started with and maybe try it with a Long Trail Ale.
    Greywulfken likes this.
  38. Dammit, man! That looks delicious. I've never brined, so I may have to try that.
  39. In the glass: Brooklyn Black Chocolate and beermosas
    On the plate: Stout Challah french toast with coffee stout, cinnamon maple syrup. Maple whipped cream and a plum / apple compote

Pairing was fine but not awesome. I sort of figured it wouldn't be but I used it for the french toast and syrup so figured I'd give it a go. For the french toast, I made the custard the night before then added some BCS to it right before soaking the stale Challah. For the syrup, I probably had a ratio of like 5-1 syrup to beer (added some coffee as well). The beer still majorly came through which was awesome.

[​IMG]
  40. Greywulfken

Following some tips from bpgpitt10's thread, and taking advantage of my most recent supermarket trip, the wife and I had a little beer (and wine, for her) and cheese night:
    In my glasses: Great Divide's Espresso Oak Aged Yeti and Stone's Oak-Smoked Old Guardian (OSOG)
    On the table: smoked gouda, brie, and Vermont cheddar cheese; bread (and butter), crackers, and olives (and Cupcake pinot noir for the missus)...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tried the two beers with the cheeses, and the cheddar on a cracker went well with the OSOG, and the brie and gouda seemed best suited for the Yeti, but I don't know that my pairings were all that great - like, the beer was great, the cheeses were great, but I don't know if the pairing brought out anything superior via the combination itself, y'know?
    BUT I had so much fun setting it up and spending time with the wife, and eating and drinking, of course, that I'd heartily recommend giving something like this a go. Next time I might shop for specific beer and cheese pairings (as mine was a somewhat random event).