1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sharing Your Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Greywulfken, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Haryali chicken (chicken cooked in ground cilantro green pepper yogurt garlic ginger and coconut milk) with a GoodLife Descender IPA
    amazing flavors combining for a perfect meal!
    Sorry for no pictures my fat ass just wanted to eat it all before I did anything else!
    Greywulfken and LotsofLupulin like this.
  2. My recipe for beef and ale stew, recipe for 2 servings (pair with boiled and halved potatoes or add dumplings) or one comfort food style serving if you're a fat bastard like me

stewing Beef (enough for two people)
    half a tin of chopped tomatoes (used one with onion and garlic)
    one small tin of chopped carrots
    half a pint of stout (a balanced "english stout" is best, something not too sweet and heavy)
    garlic pepper
    olive oil (a glug or two for frying at the start)
    flour (one teaspoon)

1. fry carrots and a small sprinkle of garlic pepper in oil on a medium-high heat until sizzling
    2. dump in beef and flour
    3. dump in tinned tomatoes and beer
    4. put the lid on and wait until it is boiling (otherwise the stew will be alcoholic and bitter), then turn the heat down to low, and simmer (make sure it's just bubbling gently) for 3 hours
    5. for a thicker stew, remove the lid half an hour before it's finished

note: this comes out with quite a sweet stew, so season with salt and pepper to taste as you serve it
    Henamonster likes this.
  3. nineball

nineball Aficionado (130) New York Mar 19, 2013

at the moment:
    in the glass, FBS
    on the plate (actually paper towel) mama's (aka my wifes) home-made chocolate chip cookies
    heaven on earth!!!!!
    Henamonster and jebsinger like this.
  4. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

[​IMG]
    The Chimay made me hungry.
    On the plate:
    [​IMG]
    Virginia ham
    [​IMG]
    Pastrami seasoned turkey
    [​IMG]
    Prosciutto
    [​IMG]
    ...sandwich...
    [​IMG]
    In the glass: HopDevil Ale from Victory Brewing Company.
    [​IMG]
    You know how this worked out. ;)
  5. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Hi all... don't have much photos... it would be too much work since this as 4 hours of wonderful slaving for me tonight

Beef Barley Soup...

[​IMG]
    beef shank barley soup by imbibehour, on Flickr

2 Organic Beef shanks bone in, chopped to small bite size pieces.
    onion
    parsnips (or carrots I had leftover parsnips)
    salt and pepper for adjustment
    celery
    pearl barley
    mushrooms (sauteed separate and added)
    Butter and flour for deep roux
    1-1/2-2 oz of Dry Spanish sherry
    fresh dill
    Beef and/or chicken and/or vegetable stock and/or water for top up

Procedure... Sweat onions in virgin olive oil, and brown one soup bone, and cut beef shanks trimming fat, and keeping beef in bite sized pieces. While onions finish sweat salt and pepper seasoned pieced shanks to brown. After browning, add stock, to cover tossing in aromatic root veg (parsnips, celery) and top up with boxed stock. Use water for low fills. Slow cook soup for 3-4 hours checking levels...

While satisfied sauteed mushrooms on the side, to brown and wilt with simple cracked and salt pepper. Toss in pot.

3.5 hours later with reduction, taste and adjust. At this point you should have great aromatics, and soft shank meat. taste appropriate. Toss in barley and adujst seasoning to taste. Dill goes in at the last 2-5 minutes for serious good aromatics. Within the last 10-15 minutes suggested make roux on the side.

So...

in the end fantastic soup. The barley though really thickens it up on it's own an the roux isn't so much needed. Without roux... soup... added roux... thick STEW!! which is nice... get some bread nicely coating..

Pairing... unintentional... Belgian style American made tripel (Moab). Not a good pairing, as fantastic as both pieces are. Belgian angle seems skewed for this in my mind... the dill really is the wrench. You have dense umami falt shank meat and barley grain richness... coupled with dill aromatics which are great. Witbier seems to light, as also other Belgian Pale Ales..

Hops are off. To much accentuating, unless you want to go for a real balanced one (maybe a good simple pale ale), Malt forward sense seems also too big not giving the dill a good pairing... doppelbocks and so forth just not seeing it.

I call... brown ale... just enough malt and lightness... maybe even some nutty aromas and toast to go with the meat preferably English. Compliments maybe nicely and pulls out some of the earth mushroom?

It's something that is a tricky pairing, the roux really gets that butter thickness too which could make a nice pairing beer WRENCH! Random thoughts in head include

St. Boltoph
    maybe some sort of light bock?

Like I say this is a tricky one, I am sure there is an "AH HA" beer in here somewhere that I know, but it's not just on the tip of my tongue.

Either way the soup came out fantastic...
  6. In the Glass: Brooklyn's Monster Ale
    On the Plate: Mozzarella, Parma ham, rucola (known as arugula in US apparently) and Parmesan pizza

The Monster Ale was overly sweet for all the pizza's fat and salt so the pairing wasn't all that successful. I believe something drier would've worked better. Anyways, the pizza was great and the beer was good as well so all good.

[​IMG]
  7. In the glass: Fatheads Headhunter IPA
    On the plate: Chicken and zucchini "fettuccine" with a cajun cream sauce

The spicy cajun cream sauce worked pretty well with the IPA. I also used some sav blanc to delaze the pan which brought in some really mild citrus notes that I didn't notice until I tried the citrusy IPA with it. That was pretty cool for the pairing. I'd do this again or maybe just a Pilsner to provide a little hop bite against the spice.

[​IMG]
    BeerKangaroo and Greywulfken like this.
  8. BRZvice

BRZvice Aficionado (210) Michigan Apr 7, 2012

Enjoying my Easter Eve pairing.
    [​IMG]
  9. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Just rediscovered this thread...oh god.
  10. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Quick lunch today:
    In the Glass: North Coast Brewing Co. Scrimshaw Pilsner
    On the Plate: Hot dog with sauerkraut

[​IMG]
  11. Greywulfken

Yeah, I get this - sometimes the combo isn't on-point, but the individual items are good enough to withstand it, eh?
    That pizza slice looks great. I could probably kill the whole pie. Not big Monster fan, but I'm due to come back to it - it may have been my first barleywine, and my tastes are much more mature now. Curious to see how it'll taste.

But let's get back to that pizza... :D
  12. Greywulfken

Gnomegang has re-emerged from its hobbit-hole in my area...
    I can't go too long without eating, so it stands to reason, given my predilections for sammitches, that I'd end up eating a sammie with my 2nd pour:
    [​IMG]
    I know I'm not pushing any envelopes here, but my God, this was good... pastrami turkey, Virgina ham and a smear of mayo on a bakery-fresh roll with the aforementioned Gnomegang.
  13. Glad you liked it. The pizza was awesome indeed. It's from a pizza place I'm a regular costumer. All their pizzas are great. Handmade dough, top notch toppings baked on a wood-fired oven by an experienced pizzaiolo. You can't go wrong.
  14. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Turkish Mercimek Köftesi (red lentil patties) and DC Brau - Corruption IPA.

This turned out to be a great food pairing, this is a slightly assertive Columbus hopped IPA, nothing too crazy, but it works well with the lentils and bulgur. Onions parsley and lemon, mixed with different peppers and the bib lettuce softness this just accents everything, it works so well, I was worried the IPA would be too much.

Gonzo was too large earlier for it. Dried red lentils, salt, cumin, cayenne, black pepper, originally supposed to use Romaine but there was some good Bibb lettuce instead, parsley.. lemons... it's just great. Grains bring out the earth and malt of the beer, the hops hit so well with the lemon, spring onion and parsley... The bibb lettuce is a real nice soft buttery touch.. Loved this..

[​IMG]
    Turkish Mercimek Köftesi (red lentil patties) - DC Brau - Corruption IPA by imbibehour, on Flickr
  15. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (325) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

In The Glass: NB La Folie
    On the Plate: Spicy crab and quinoa cakes with a simple broccoli slaw

[​IMG]

I love sours with seafood. Though, with the spice, I think an IPA or Belgian IPA may have been a better choice. Still though, it wasn't really a bad pairing at all.
  16. In the glass: Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye
    On the Plate: chicken andouille sasauge w/cheddar cheese toasted on some homemade bread.

[​IMG]

The bread was a little heavy (definitely not light and "bun-like",) but man did it pair nicely with the sasauge and Ruthless Rye (so much so I had the same lunch again the next day.) I tend to add a little extra salt to the bread recipe (it calls for 1 tbs, so I had about 1 1/2 to 2 tbs) to give it some additional flavor. Toasting it all together really made it click. And I can't say enough about the rye beer.
  17. on the plate: demi-baguette filled with chunks of sliced steak with swiss cheese
    in the glass: sierra nevada porter
  18. BSzucs

BSzucs Zealot (75) California May 15, 2011

I just found this thread and I am not currently pairing, but I had to post to have a history with it to find it later!

Tonight I am doing BBQ casserole recipe my wife is trying - I am smoking the chicken, I might do a High Water - Retribution Imperial IPA.

I have not had any High Water, but I do like Drake's a LOT. My thinking is if they use Drake's facility they must also be cool people, and their beer was well worth a try!
  19. Bierlerner

Simple and clean. I like it.
    futura123 and Henamonster like this.
  20. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

Double Trouble with some 'chos. :D
    [​IMG]
  21. Greywulfken

Eating and drinking

Sunday Lunch
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: hot dogs on toasted buns, potato chips and potato salad (paprika sprinkled; Wise chips); couple of olive stuffed with jalapenos
    [​IMG]
    In the pint: Founders Centennial IPA

Saturday's Late Night Snack
    [​IMG]
    In the tray: Archer Farms Cheddar & Scallion sourdough twists (notice how there's only two left in the tray)...
    In the pint: Firestone Walker Double Jack

No complaints on either account.
  22. In the glass: Fatheads Headhunter
    On the plate: Pasta with spicy italian sausage, fresh veggies (zucchini, orange pepper, artichoke, and tomato) and a white wine cheese sauce (wine, pasta water, rendered sausage fat, parm, and mozzarella) topped with fresh basil. Salad with arugula, dried apricots and cherries, pistachios, and white balsamic.

It was a solid pairing with the main. The spice from the sausage and red peppers was awesome with the hops. The salad no so much. I just ended up eating that very separate.

[​IMG]
  23. Bierlerner

In the Glass: Prairie Ales "Standard Ale" saison
    On the plate: Beer battered fish tacos with a pineapple, serrano, beer salsa. Using the Using the Standard Ale for both.

[​IMG]

Great pairing. The saison is very citrusy, low abv, fruity, and wonderful. Made sense to batter the fish with it and make the salsa with it as well. The salsa gave me an idea to make a jam with it too.
  24. Zaphog

Veggie French Bread Pizza & Salad w/ Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA
    [​IMG]
  25. Greywulfken

On the plate: garlic and herb crusted tilapia; country potatoes with haricots verts and wild mushrooms
    In the glass: Resin DIPA
    [​IMG]
    Glorified fish and chips, really...
    [​IMG]
    ...and we know how that goes with beer...
    BUT, I think I would have been better off with an IPA or paler, less malty ale. Still good, but something like a (Duvel!) would have been excellent - I feel like in this scenario, you almost want to match the color of the fish and poatatoes to the beer. So the DIPA was one "shade" too dark/heavy for the food.
    [​IMG]
    The History Channel's Vikings in the background... :cool:

Cheers!
  26. Greywulfken

Last night's snacking...
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: brie cheese ('nuff said)
    In the glass: Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra

Gonna go down as a fave. The beer has curry, cumin, cayenne, coconut, and lime in that pitch black body - with the cayenne really prominent (which I enjoyed, though others may not) - complemented perfectly by the creamy smoothness of the cheese - no lie, I polished off the whole piece of brie single-handedly - and the beer warmed so nicely as I ate, the experience improved as time went on. Could've gone back for more of both the beer and cheese, but alas, no more of either on-hand.

Cheers!
  27. Bierlerner

On the plate: Blueberry stout french toast with a blueberry stout compote
    In the glass: Dark Horse Brewing "Tres Blueberry Stout"

I don't need to say much about this. It was win all the way around. lol. Great sunday breakfast.
    [​IMG]
  28. cneville

cneville Initiate (0) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

[​IMG]

On the plate: Pork chops, with a blueberry, balsamic, and lemon reduction; home fries (not cut very small) with fresh chives and garlic powder; and steamed broccoli with a little bleu cheese dressing.
    In the glass: Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer.

This worked really well. A lot of rich foods on the plate, and the roasted malt of the beer really cut some of that. Might have increased the amount of balsamic vinegar in the reduction, but not complaining.

Recipe was roughly adapted from: http://www.nlrockrecipes.com/2008/02/blueberry-balsaminc-pork-chops.html
  29. Zaphog

In the glass: FFF Gumballhead
    On the plate: fresh mozzarella & Roma tomatoes drizzled w/ Italian dressing, Arugula topped with lemon vinaigrette
    [​IMG]

In the glass: FFF Zombie Dust
    On the plate: veggie pizza topped with Arugula
    [​IMG]
  30. Greywulfken

In the glass: Founders Double Trouble
    On the plate: bacon cheeseburger (Omaha steaks' ground beef patties)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Beef and beer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Questions? ;)
    Hockey_Fan, BeerKangaroo and Zaphog like this.
  31. Greywulfken

That looks awesome - before and after - cheers!
    Zaphog likes this.
  32. Greywulfken

DIPA w/ burgers for lunch; now, for dinner:

On the plate: Boar's Head gouda, Carr's table water crackers, and Boar's Head prosciutto
    In the glass: Stone's Enjoy By 05.17.13
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm starting to get the feeling that all I do is eat and drink (and take pictures of it)... :rolleyes:

Cheers!
  33. Well, that's not a bad life is it?
    Greywulfken likes this.
  34. Greywulfken

lol - nope, not at all ;)
  35. cneville

cneville Initiate (0) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Cinco de Mayo pairing!
    In the glass: Russian River Sanctification
    On the plate: spice rubbed chicken tacos, with chipotle sour cream, grilled zucchini and red pepper, mexican cheese blend, cilantro, and lime. Accompanied by refried black beans.
    [​IMG]

This worked well--better than I thought. The rub was on the sweeter side, and the dry tartness of the Sanctification really shone through. I would probably turn up the heat of the rub next time, maybe using some of the leftover chipotles in adobo that were used for the sour cream.

recipe adapted, pretty faithfully, from
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-with-Cilantro-Slaw-and-Chipotle-Cream-235158
    minus the slaw. Not a big slaw fan.
  36. Super jealous on many levels! Some aged Cheddar would have been awesome too.
    Greywulfken and Hockey_Fan like this.
  37. In the glass: Evolution Lucky 7 porter
    On the plate: Venison meat pies with porter, horseradish mustard

Filling was pretty simple using ground venison, onions, mushrooms, and Worcestershire. I then braised the meat in the porter and tossed in some butter and flour to turn that into a gravy. Laid all the meat down in the dough with a bit of asiago for some extra earthiness. Mustard was a standard brat mustard where I added some porter to bring the flavors together. Overall the pairing was really solid. The mustard provided that dash of spice and acidity that the other elements were the contrast to. Solid and glad i made a bunch so I can just pop them in the oven whenever!

[​IMG]
  38. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

On the plate: From a food truck outside of the Bruery, a brat and tater tots covered in beans and chili
    In the glass: Bruery Sour in the Rye

[​IMG]
  39. I don't have a photo, but Port Brewing Older Viscosity and Godiva Dark Chocolate covered pretzels! AMAZING!
    futura123, bifrost17 and PaulQuinn like this.