Shelf life of Founder's Devil Dancer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Maxwell_James, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Better w/age IMO, though expect an American Barleywine, as said above.

2. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I had a bottle fresh and it was pretty good.

I am aging the 2nd bottle I have. I hear it ages pretty well.

3. Completely wrong. I've had a few of these with over a year of age and they're great! Hop aroma and flavor fade, bitterness not so much. DFH 120 Minute is overly sweet, IMHO, whether fresh or aged. Devil Dancer is lovely.

4. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I've never had a 6 month old brew, but I assumed that when the hops fade the malt takes over = sweet. Glad it ages well.

5. Jade

Jade Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 1, 2012

Devil Dancer is $6 a bottle in KY/OH region, same as KBS. $24 a four-pack and worth it! Best IPA I've ever had. Then again, I love malt and this is a hop/malt bomb! Kinda like Monster on steroids!

6. Jade

Jade Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 1, 2012

I have to say this, not directed at anyone in particular, but it's Curmudgeon Old Ale, not Old Curmudgeon. I see this way too often. Sorry! Nothing personal. Just irks me. Now, comes the dislikes and hate mail. No, I'm not perfect either.

7. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Tw in Gso has dd bottles 4.99 I believe, I passed.

8. roger617

roger617 Savant (365) Indiana Jun 1, 2013

I picked up a 4 pack yesterday, had the first tonight. Solid brew, first TIPA, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'll be aging at least 2 of these for a year plus after reading this thread.

9. lic217

lic217 Savant (470) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I have never had it but my guess is the shelf life is over 10 years. At that high an alcohol percentage and that much hops it should stay good forever. i have never had it, but I am interested in trying it. Aging it might be interesting....

10. imscotty

imscotty Savant (270) Massachusetts Mar 23, 2007

Devil Dancer is a different beer fresh vs aged. In 3-4 years it becomes an excellent American Barleywine. Aged, it is one of my favorite beers. I just picked up two 4-packs of 2013's to put away for a few years. Gonna have an enjoyable vertical of this beer someday.

11. 7ate9

7ate9 Savant (265) Virginia Apr 26, 2007

I opened a 3 year old bottle last week and it was undrinkable.

12. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Aged IPAs DO NOT become barleywines. I don't know why people keep saying that. The malt profiles are completely different between the two styles.

That said, I had a year old Devil Dancer and it was great. NOT a barleywine, but still a really nice super hoppy IPA.

OddNotion and jaIsPoAn like this.
  13. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

i had one with a year on it and freaking loved it, still a hoppy beast

14. Any particular reason?

15. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I opened a fresh bottle and had the same results.

16. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Might have been the way it was stored?

17. 7ate9

Bought it fresh 3 years ago and it spent its whole life resting in a 55degree warehouse.
    It had the most distinct, musty wet cardboard smell I've ever experienced in a beer. And just nasty, old cheesy hops. No body and still so, so bitter.

18. mellowmark

Hmm. Maybe the lights in the warehouse had sometihng to do with it? If you got a cardboard smell that is probably becuase it was lightstruck.

19. had a 2012 along with my 2013 this year.. the 2012 did not age well.. i wouldn't bother aging this beer.. but that's just me

20. Lightstruck = "skunking"; Wet cardboard = extreme oxidation. 2 different things.

21. mellowmark

I am pretty sure that a beer being lightstruck can also have that wet cardboard affect.

22. 7ate9

It was in a box the whole time.

23. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Maybe that's where the cardboard affect came from hmmmm?!?!? ;)

24. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

I had a 2 year old bottle 2 weeks ago and it was awesome.

cindyjeffsmith likes this.
  25. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

No, that's caused by oxidation. A light struck beer smells/tastes like a skunk.

26. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Sorry, but the effect of light is to skunk beer.

27. It had a dead raccoon in it.

28. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

I threw a couple four packs in the cellar in 06 and opened one recently blind and everyone thought it was amazing.

No one really knows, they only know what they are told. - Do blind tastings for real eye openers. No pun intended.

mendonjoebeer likes this.