Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Shiner "Premium Beer"

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by ElCommodoro, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ElCommodoro

ElCommodoro Aficionado (230) Texas Mar 24, 2011

I just picked up a 12-pack of what was labeled Shiner Premium Beer at HEB. They only had one box and it was not priced or anything. It was sitting on a very large stack of other Shiner beers. It rung up as Shiner Blonde and from what I understand, this is what Shiner Blonde was called in the past. Have they switched back to calling it Shiner Premium Beer now or is this potentially a whole new beer, potentially made to resemble an old recipe of theirs? Their website makes no mention of re-naming or re-packaging Shiner Blonde nor is there any mention of a new beer.
  2. rojomosquito

rojomosquito Zealot (75) Texas Dec 12, 2012

From the Shiner rep, Shiner Blonde repackaged as retro 70's packaging Shiner Premium. Didn't think it was suppose to hit until next month. But Shiner Blonde was always the original Shiner Premium, when ever they switched. Last time a drank a Shiner Premium was about 15 years ago.
  3. ElCommodoro

Darn. I was hoping it was something new, but after some research, figured it was most likely a re-packaging. It may have been a mistake that I ended up with a case before next month since it was a lone case among 50. That would explain why there's no mention of it anywhere on the internet.
  4. ElCommodoro

Thanks for your help, by the way! I was pretty confused.
  5. rojomosquito

rojomosquito Zealot (75) Texas Dec 12, 2012

Next month is for DFW, so I guess Austin got it first. Does the packaging look retro? Also cans should be available for the first time.
  6. ElCommodoro

Well....not the FIRST time. But yes, it looks retro. Also not in any way descriptive. Aside from it being beer and being made by Shiner, all I knew was that it was "Premium."
  7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (660) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Shiner Premium Lager used to be Shiner's flagship product and Shiner Bock was an offshoot (Think Michelob & Michelob Amber Bock). When Shiner Bock took off as their #1 seller, they renamed Shiner "Premium" Lager to Shiner Blonde (thus making IT the offshoot of their now flagship Bock).

Blonde/Premium was the first product that Shiner took to market.
  8. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

Way to trick people into drinking Blonde.
    So, Texas folks, who agrees that Saint Arnold's > Spoetzl?
  9. bccocx

bccocx Champion (810) Texas Jan 13, 2007 Verified

Without a doubt, Saint Arnold's > Spoetzl. Any day of the week. I don't think I've had a Shiner beer that's really blown me away.
    BigBarley likes this.
  10. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

Nor have I. Saint, however, created PUMPKINATOR, as well as the respectably unique Weedwacker, the Summer Pils, Winter Stout, Endeavour IPA, and of course, the Fancy Lawnmower. ALL of these are delicious and unique.

Spoetzl made Old-Time Alt and a bunch of mediocre lagers. The end.
  11. champ103

champ103 Champion (965) Texas Sep 3, 2007 Verified

Seriously, we are discussing this? The only reason Spoetzl is now even considered in the Brewers Association definition for craft beer is because they conveniently stated that Shiner Bock uses corn as an adjunct for flavor enhancement only. Rather than to lighten the flavor.:rolleyes:
  12. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (455) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Does anyone else prefer Abyss to Bud Light Chelada?
    lndsy, mrkmrk, Chuk_Hell and 5 others like this.
  13. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (540) Nevada Jan 20, 2010 Verified

In Spoetzl's defense, they make drinkable beer. While nothing will blow your socks off, it sure does taste good on a hot day.
    icetrauma and thebigyellowjoint like this.
  14. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Hurray, let's shit on Shiner some more! They're big and popular, so they suck!

Honestly, I like Shiner's standard lineup more than St. Arnold's. Santo is just bad. I'll take Ruby Redbird over Lawnmower for my summer beer any day.
    icetrauma and mattisloco like this.
  15. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Shiner Wild Hare is nice too.
    Mortarforker likes this.
  16. turfy

turfy Savant (480) Texas Mar 17, 2010 Verified

Set down the crack pipe and SLOWLY back away.....
  17. Lutter

I love Shiner's products. I'd take Shiner Bock over any of Saint Arnold's regulars any day of the week.

I'd consider Shiner Blonde/Premium to still be a step up from BMC.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  18. Danielbt

Sure thing buddy. Just as soon as you tell me what St. Arnold's has that is vastly superior in their standard lineup to Shiner's.
  19. Heretic42

Heretic42 Advocate (545) Texas Aug 31, 2011 Verified

I'd take Endeavor over Bock (setting aside apples vs oranges and other fruits). Maybe Elissa and their brown ale, but it's been a long while since I've had either. All are not even in the same ballpark as BMC.
  20. I have had some friends that know I like beer and ask me "hey have you tried the new shiner premier?!" And I love that they think about me when drinking beer and all but I've yet to break they're heart and tell them it's just blonde.
  21. Lutter

I know I posted this somewhere (maybe the 'Everything Shiner' thread), but I was in HEB the other day buying groceries and perusing beer like I usually do... I come upon an HEB employee and a customer looking at the Shiner section and the employee explaining to the guy that they "haven't gotten Shiner Blonde in weeks"... with like 12 cases of Shiner Premium and the same amount of 6-packs staring them in the face.

I politely informed them that they were the same thing. They both thought I was kidding! lol.

The general public: easily confused.
  22. icetrauma

icetrauma Advocate (505) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Ready for some Ruby Redbird.
    TxUltraRunner and Danielbt like this.
  23. mattisloco

mattisloco Advocate (500) Texas Feb 13, 2007 Verified

In cans this year!

I love cans... and motor boating... and motor boating come cans.
    icetrauma and Danielbt like this.
  24. Danielbt

Can you describe this in more detail?
  25. mattisloco

mattisloco Advocate (500) Texas Feb 13, 2007 Verified

Oh I can... yes I can can. But there's this whole getting banned/canned thing looming over my head. I'll revisit this in a couple of months when.... oh screw it Vince Vaughn goes into better detail than I can verbally describe.

Then there's always playing a game of just the tip!
    videofrog and Danielbt like this.
  26. Ford

Ford Advocate (570) Texas Sep 8, 2012 Verified

I really like a lot of Shiner Beers.... I'm very happy that 101 is available right now... I like Ruby Redbird..

Now I think Santo is a very, very good beer from Saint Arnold... my favorite in their regular lineup after Endeavour.
  27. mobiledan

mobiledan Disciple (50) Texas Sep 26, 2010

I just bought a 12 pack of Premium today at HEB, also. The package doesn't give a hint about what it is, and the guy stocking the coolers didn't have a clue.

For me, all Shiner beers are decent, and I'm always willing to try out their different brews. Hefeweizen is my current fav. Costco sells a Shiner variety case. a good buy, in my opinion.
  28. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Im always in for a Shiner Black.
  29. TomHouTX

TomHouTX Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 7, 2012 Verified

I thought the Shiner Holiday Cheer beer was pretty decent. From what recall it only cost $2 and some change for a bomber size bottle.
    icetrauma likes this.