1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Shipping beer & airlines...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ajramirez1, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Can u put full bottles of beer in your checked luggage? Also, can u ship a package full of empty and/or full beer? Running the boston marathon then going to florida. Planning on drinking a shit ton of new beers & i collect beer bottles...@834 after this beer is finished...im not a nube just never tried either. I took back empty bottles in my carry on but never full...cheers
    A-

2. Beejay

Beejay Advocate (515) Virginia Dec 29, 2008

Not on carry on. You can check them, just make sure you have them wrapped/padded well. As for shipping, I believe the general consensus is to wrap the shit out of them, and use fedex or UPS as this is questionably legal, vs. USPS = Bad news bears/ definitely illegal.

3. Cool appreciate it.
    A-

4. I've brought beer many, many times in my checked luggage. I've had no problems with simply wrapping the bottles in my clothes. I know others are more paranoid and wrap them in bubble-wrap, etc. I've done this, too, but found it to be a waste of time and space. Good luck with the marathon and your luggage. Cheers.

5. I usually wrap em in a sock. Make sure its in the center and not against the sides. And it helps when its packed tightly so they don't move around

6. I came back from Milwaukee 6 months ago and packed up over 25 beers in my checked suitcase. Just be careful with the 50lb limit, you can easily surpass that #. I used very light bubble wrap around only the rare bottles just to be safe. You may not need to wrap the beer up besides just using your clothing, but it was my first time doing it and wanted to be safe.
    Have a great run and a safe trip to FL.

jzeilinger likes this.
  7. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Bubble wrap, electrical tape and clothes. All ya need. Dont try the carry on route. Maybe different for empty bottles. Call your airline 1st.

Cheers!

8. syu3003

syu3003 Aficionado (205) Michigan May 4, 2011

I do the same thing haha. Wrapped with a sock and put inside a sweatshirt. OP I collect empty bottles of the better beer that I have tried as well, but I'd be wary with carrying them on. I've gotten in trouble in a few places for just have "opened containers of alcohol" whether or not they were filled.

9. dennho

dennho Savant (345) New York Oct 29, 2006

10. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I'm one of the paranoid ones, although using bubble wrap and ziplock bags (a MUST as far as I'm concerned) really didn't take that much time at all. It isn't like you have to wrap them perfectly. Wrap some bubble wrap around them however you want to do it, shove them in a ziplock bag, and shut the bags. Make sure they're in the middle of your checked luggage and that they don't have a lot of room to jostle around.

11. Don't do it without bubble wrap. You may get away with a sock just fine a couple of times, but you're pushing your luck. Also, TSA really seems to have started getting all over suitcases with bottles in the last year or two. They'll re-bubble wrap it, but they won't touch your dirty clothes any more than they have to. They also won't pack it back tenderly in the middle of the bag - so you could easily end up with unprotected bottles clanging against one another and/or the sides of your suitcase.

12. Steimie

I had my bottles in bubble wrap, ziplock bags, and placed inside a wooden wine box that was taped shut. TSA opened my bag, opened the box (their little "We were here" tag was inside the box), didn't cut any of the bubble wrap, and re-taped the box.

13. They're really good about packaging materials, just bad about clothing. I always wrap my bottles in bubble wrap and then in clothing. Every time TSA gets ahold of it, the bubble wrap is in tact and/or reapplied, but the clothing is no longer wrapping it.

14. Steimie

I think it's probably important to point out that you should NOT, under any circumstance, tell the airline representative that is checking your bag that you have beer in there. Each airline has different rules regarding putting beer in your luggage and there are lots of stories about passengers being forced to get rid of their beer after the airline agent found out it was in the luggage.

TSA doesn't give a shit if your transporting beer. (Some) airlines do.

15. last time I travelledwith beer in my check luggage I packed it with clothes in some of those vaccuum selaed bags. this helped both protect the beers and prevented them from shifting around during flight. travelled with about 2 22oz's and 8 12-oz beers with out a problem

16. As learned from a thread on BA, I "purchased" free triangle poster shippers from the USPS. They ship them to your door free. They are roughly 24 inches long. I've shipped five of them in one suitcase, repeatedly. Luckily, I have an old ratty suitcase, that fits in my new one. So I leave with one, return with 2. Fly the cardboard out flat, return them in the extra suitcase with the beer. Cheaper than Fedexing the beer. The bottles were inside each, wrapped in my dirty clothes. I wrapped two bombers, or 3 12-ouncers per shipper in my socks/dirty clothes. If the TSA opened my suitcase, they were met with a note, 'Attention TSA. Enclosed in the cardboard is rare beer. If you would like to inspect, please re-pack carefully! Thanks!'
    Coming back from an Alaskan Cruise, via Vancouver...17 bombers, 12 12-ouncers...all arrived safely with no questions.
    I have had suitcases opened, but they always arrived safely. Just my story...
    Good luck.

jzeilinger likes this.
  17. syu3003

syu3003 Aficionado (205) Michigan May 4, 2011

Holy cow... They should have made the movie Contraband about you. next time im going on a trip and expecting to bring back some goodies, i may bite off this method haha.

jzeilinger likes this.
  18. it worked really well. Any questions, just shoot me a message...

19. I was concerned as well, and shot out the same question before I left...the BA community helped immensely! I would be happy to return the favor!

20. dogfish90

dogfish90 Savant (250) California May 4, 2009

I've traveled multiple times cross country and haven't had a problem with checking beer in my bag. Like someone said above, bubble wrap, tape (gaff tape in my case), all bubble wrapped beer put into a garbage bag in case of breakage/leaking, and put in the middle of suitcase surrounded by clothes. Boom you're ready!

21. I usually fly Southwest so I can check one bag, and one shipper box of beer (or wine... or homebrew). I wrap them individually in plastic bags and I haven't ever had an issue. I live in the Seattle area and the rest of the family live in Northern VA... it's the only way... I'll fly out there with a full box of stuff that they can't normally get there, I fly home with a box that I can't normally get here. Win/win.

*edit* my sister has packed beer in her snowboard bag and boots before too.

22. Didn't see it mentioned here (and I don't haul as much rare stuff as Mr. Millerbuffoon), but if you're flying with 12 ounce bottles (and not many), I've shoved them in my shoes and have never lost one in the many years I have been flying. Lots of good suggestions above.

23. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

These previous threads should answer any questions:

beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beer-and-planes.13553/
    beeradvocate.com/community/threads/taking-beer-on-a-plane-as-a-checked-bag.19862/