1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shipping beer from Cal. to NY

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rback, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Rback

Rback Aficionado (160) New York Feb 26, 2012

My niece just moved to San Jose CA. & she is willing to send some RR to me in Buffalo NY. Need some advice on the proper way to ship. Thanks

2. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Do not use the USPS, it is against the law. Fuse FedEx or UPS Ground, it's only against the rules. Just don't tell them it's alcohol. Besides that, there will be lots of advice to follow I'm sure.

Tape the caps on.
    Bubble wrap and newspaper. Breakage protection.
    Line the box with a garbage bag. Spill protection.
    Lots of newspaper or other cushioning filler.

Or you could just use one of these.
    http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Kitchen-moving-boxes/Wine-Shipping-Kits?mid=169

Good luck.

3. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (735) California Dec 15, 2012

4. Have her ship you olive oil

JxExM and creepinjeeper like this.
  5. Rback

I don't get it

creepinjeeper and bigedct like this.
  6. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

If you check a lot of the "how do I ship beer" posts. You will see a lot of responses like "i don't ship beer. I ship snow globes or olive oil or barbecue sauce." If the person asks you at fedex or ups what you are shipping you cant say beer. Most people make something up that includes glass and liquid.

RaulMondesi, JxExM and creepinjeeper like this.
  7. Cal Berkeley?

8. Rback

Don't know exactly where

9. Using USPS is no longer against the law...but there are stipulations you can read:

http://strikeandtechel.com/2012/05/...-allowing-usps-to-ship-beer-wine-and-spirits/

But your best bet is ups or FedEx. Have her get a styrofoam 12 bottle wine bottle shipper and wrap the bottles up nicely inside. She can throw some electrical tape around the cop on the Pliny bottles. Oh and most importantly...share the bottles with your fellow BA-ers in Buffalo!

10. Rback

11. It is still against the law to ship alcohol through the USPS. Senate bill 1789, which was passed in the senate but died in the house, would have reformed the USPS as well as legalize the shipment of alcohol consistent with the laws of each state.

I would still do the ups or FedEx thing.

12. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I suggest using Fedex. Create an account online that way you can print your labels at home or work and you can put your shipping info in, make you a recipient, and attach a credit card to the account. All your niece would have to do use pack the box, print the label, and drop it off and the cost can be billed to you ( this is how I have my sister ship me stuff)

13. I use the USPS Priority Mail all the time. Never had a problem. I know it is illegal.

My advice is 2 smaller boxes is better than 1 really big box.
    USPS large flat rate box is as big as I like to go.
    Make sure everything is tight. The bottles shouldn't be jiggling around.

14. I just shipped 5 bottles from Pa to CA. I wrapped in bubble wrap and put everything in a trash bag in case of leaks/breaks. Use a good amount of filler to pad the bottles and made sure no bottles could touch each other. It cost me $21 to ship 10 lbs of beer. All made it even with a few day layover in KS in below freezing temps. Fedex never asked what was in the box. I could not hear beer slosh around once packed. No tape on the necks.Not sure what that would help with besides add some minimal weight.

Enjoy and good luck. Should be no issues

Enjoy

15. The bottles that are tough for me are Bruery bottles. They are always an inch to two inches underfilled and make a heavy sloshing sound. For those bottles I will throw some rice or pellets into a film cannister to offset the sound.

16. sammy806

sammy806 Savant (325) Maryland Feb 29, 2008

David_MrBox likes this.
  17. Open up an account online with Fed-Ex or UPS that way you can print your own labels and simply drop off at an authorized p/u store with little to no question asked

dmeadows likes this.