1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shipping beer to Kentucky

Discussion in 'US - South' started by craftbrew502, Jan 5, 2013.

1. As of right now you cant order beer online and have it shipped to Kentucky. Anyone here of any possible law changes with that?

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

3. Sam Adams wouldn't even ship the free Utopias glass you get with each bottle to KY (even though they sell the beer here). If you ordered the same glass for $20 each from their site...i.e. paying money for it, they could ship. So apparently it stops even alcohol paraphernalia from shipping here.

I order from http://www.windycityliquor.com/ and have it shipped to in-laws in STL.

4. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

Bruisin Ales, Wine and Cheese, Blackwells, West Lakeview and Quality (though you have to call it in) will ship to Kentucky. It's tough not because of some law, but because of so many dry counties (Texas has the same issue). It is possible to ship here, but most places don't want the headache.

5. Cask Liquor in San Francisco sent me some great stuff a few years ago after "consulting their attorney", but the next time I tried they said absolutely not. France44 and most others list KY as a no-go.

6. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

Also, if there are people in Lexington looking to do online orders, think about consolidating with other folks to do big orders and bring shipping prices down. Also, I think Halftime will ship to Kentucky. They also do case specials.

7. erichall

erichall Aficionado (175) Kentucky Nov 13, 2008

It is technically illegal to ship alcohol into Kentucky. Kentucky abc says you must hold a license in the state to sell alcohol to its residents.

However it is a law without much bite. Enforcement is nearly impossible.

semibaked likes this.
  8. It's really a question of just finding someone who will do it, there are some out there.

9. jbrana

jbrana Aficionado (105) Tennessee Mar 7, 2012

If you're in Louisville, maybe find a buddy across the river in Indiana that you can have boxes shipped to?

10. kaips1

kaips1 Savant (285) Kentucky Feb 20, 2011

technically all alcohol shipments inside the state of ky are illegal unless permitted by abc and dot

11. AllanC

AllanC Aficionado (125) Kentucky May 27, 2011

Wine shipments to KY are legal as long as the winery fills out a lot of paperwork, pays a fee to the state, and makes sure the package is signed for by an adult. The state had to allow this after a Federal ruling in NY a few years ago. As far as I know, beer is not covered by this.

We get wine shipments quarterly fom Babcock Winery in CA. I looked into buying beer from Voodoo Brewery via Beerjobber, but they won't ship here. I have not tried Halftime, but they do ship to PA, where it is not supposed to be legal.