Shipping costs...?!?!

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by lilnicky068, Jan 8, 2013.

1. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Savant (360) Kentucky Jan 8, 2010

Been here for a while now and thinking about getting into the trading game but shipping prices are RIDICULOUS. What's everybody doing as far as shipping? I mean, small trades, paying $16 to ship a $10 4-pack just seems crazy to me. Am I just being a cheapskate? What's the best way to go about this?

2. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Shippin ain't easy.

3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Trading is for fools, there are just a lot of them around these parts.

4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (635) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

Don't trade if you can't afford the shipping. It's a damn expensive hobby

AlexFields, RC0032 and cavedave like this.
  5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,430) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

Don't trade beer.

6. I was wondering the same thing. None if it is technically legal. How are people shipping this without spending twice as much on shipping than the beer or getting caught. Im sure you can package it well but what if it leaks and it has ur return address on it. Anyone with a real answer?

7. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (430) New York Feb 11, 2009

Get a job where you travel a lot.

HomeBrewed, RC0032 and maximum12 like this.
  8. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Thats why if you are going to do a locals trade you should do a big ass box. If you are not willing to pay what you paid for your beer plus shipping for the bottles you are getting, don't do it.

9. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

If UPS or FedEx catch you sending beer, they'll more than likely send it back to you. Then you just drink it.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  10. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Only trade for walls. Send no extras.

11. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Make sure to sign up for a shipping account through fedex or ups, cuts down cost a lot

dachshunddude86 and lilnicky068 like this.
  12. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Savant (475) California May 19, 2011 Verified

Only do in-person trades

dachshunddude86 and tronto like this.
  13. Walls?

dvelcich and lilnicky068 like this.
  14. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

The "e" is silent...and invisible.

15. Beer trading adds up quickly, and shipping is very expensive.

Given the cost of shipping, nobody really trades only $10 worth of beer at a time. Even a small trade is going to run you $50 - $20-$25 worth of beer, $5-$10 worth of extras, $15-$20 shipping/packaging - that's about as small as it reasonably gets.

$50-$100 boxes of beer are probably about average for most people to justify the $20+ shipping costs. Even when you see something on ISO:FT that looks like a small 1-for-1 trade, it usually gets expanded.

16. lilnicky068

Cool, I'll expect the shipping costs then. Just didn't know if there was something I was missing/ a cheaper way to do it.

17. BeerThursdays

BeerThursdays Advocate (595) Delaware Feb 28, 2010 Verified

Create a fedex account. Prices are slightly less with the account, rather than just going to a store to ship something.

Bitterbill and lilnicky068 like this.
  18. lilnicky068

I will definitely look into this.

19. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Aren't you a little young to be trading beer? You were bottled less than 21 hours ago.

Edit: That or you were bottled 10 months in the future...I can't tell...but I'm intrigued.

20. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

Also keep in mind the first few trades are the only cumbersome ones in terms of packaging. At the beginning i ran out and bought boxes, bubble wrap and styro-peanuts.

At this point I have 8 boxes with varying types of packing material in my basement from trades I've received in the past, basically ready to pack-up-and-go. Once you've got a few under your belt it becomes really easy to re-use most people's packaging material with a touch of supplementation from your original bubble wrap / packing peanut stash.

21. Never heard someone use cumbersome in a sentence. You must be a 7 Mary Three fan. lol

ant880 likes this.
  22. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

Never heard of 7 Mary Three but I'm surprised to hear you say that. You're from Kentucky, right?

"All these BCS variants on shelves down here in Kentucky are quite cumbersome"

AlexFields likes this.
  23. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Savant (360) Nebraska Mar 15, 2012 Verified

ISO: beer from the future

gpawned likes this.
  24. Its a band they have a song called cumbersome, and yea Im from KY whats does that have to do with anything?

25. vurt

vurt Advocate (655) Oregon Apr 11, 2004 Verified

I believe we call that a "pre-trade" around here. Happens all the time. :)

26. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

"Too black or too white, too wrong or too right..." Great song! Thanks for reminding me of that.

I tend to do only big trades, because you're right, paying 1.5 times the cost of a four pack to send it, does NOT make sense. And one thing I've learned in a few years of trading, very few times do you get back better beers than you send out. Sure they're new to you, exciting, maybe they are your personal whales, but alot of the times I say "Hmm, not as good as X, that I sent out".

27. For some reason UPS tacks on an additional fee to send a package to me...
    I guess I live in the freaking boonies or something...

28. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I just shipped a regular partner a $10 Knuckle Sandwich for $12.50 shipping =) I wanted him to get it fresh and had no time to go to the store!

EgadBananas likes this.
  29. Replace the second "L" with an "H", add an "E" and rearrange the letters to spell "whales"

AlexFields likes this.
  30. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Advocate (735) Massachusetts Mar 17, 2009 Verified

Its not about the 4 pack you trade for, it's about the extras. They are worth the shipping cost and more. Think of all the old forgotten six pack stragglers you could receive.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  31. I look at it this way: it would cost me less to have a big trade than to order something online. Retail shipping charges can be exorbitant and I can ship something across country for less.

32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,345) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002 Verified

The higher charges are for shipping materials, and adult sig required, which is currently $4 and sure to go up again.

33. Definitely. Recycling packing materials, no adult signature, FedEx account discounts I equate to much more affordable personal shipping as opposed to retail.

34. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I always turn down the option of Adult Sig. required (they don't really ask me anymore) but I think I'll use it to send a surprise box to Pschul4 though.

FTowne likes this.
  35. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (535) Florida Aug 10, 2012 Verified

Someone did not get their BA super secret decoder ring....tsk tsk ;)

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  36. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (665) Virginia May 28, 2010 Verified

you can further reduce shipping costs by shipping to a business instead of a residence.
    I have all incoming boxes go to my office...

FTowne likes this.
  37. Anyone have an average weight of a single 750 ml bottle? I am trying to figure out how much 8 bottles would weight in at in an basic wine shipper box

38. I keep drinking beers but never find one of these at the bottom of the bottle

39. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

2-3lbs, depending on the bottle.

chase2634 likes this.
  40. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (645) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009 Verified

Twelve bottle wine shippers filled with bombers seem to be 25-30 pounds usually.