1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shipping To/From Canada

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Mscarpen, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (345) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

I'm looking for some advice from BA traders who have history shipping across the US/Canada border.

I've been blessed to have gained access to a number of great beers through some fantastic (and very generous) BA traders from all over the US. Of course the forbidden fruit is always thought of as the sweetest and there is one limited release brew from Saint-Jerome, Quebec I am extremely anxious to try.

Does anyone have any tips on the ins and outs of shipping beers across the border? I figure that it is something that is done quite commonly, but at the risk of losing your shipment. Am I right on this or should I chalk this up as something I should consider abandoning.

Thanks for the help. Cheers to all the BA brothers and sisters... and why not... cheers to the lurkers too!

2. I don't have a lot of trades behind me but I've shipped some boxes across the border without any problem (knock on wood!). You have to fill up a commercial invoice even if it's not a commercial shipping. Just make sure to declare your package as a gift (collectable glassware). Try to keep the declared value under 20$ otherwise, your partner will have to pay duty fees and taxes on the total value of the shipping.
    Hope this helps!

3. I've done about 15 trades across the border, and only 1 ran into any trouble at customs. The key is to have all the paperwork filled out correctly so the shipment doesn't attract any unwanted attention. USPS > Fedex > UPS for international IME.

4. I've found USPS to be the best option for shipping up here, Canada Post going down to you. Less scrutiny and problems based on past experience. That being said, I won't do cross-border trades any more. Too many problems with inbound boxes, never with boxes going to the US though. Just my experience, others have had better luck than me...