1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shipyard Gladiator Essedarius

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by madnismo, Feb 21, 2013.

1. madnismo

madnismo Savant (350) Florida Jan 30, 2011

Has anybody tried this? Barrel Aged Barleywine cant be that bad, but theres not rating on BA.

2. I wouldn't buy a Shityard beer myself.

3. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

This Shipyard Barleywine was pretty tasty in my most very especially humble of opinions.

4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

LOL. I'm just reminded how shit our Shipyard distribution has been in Texas since they dropped. Only bomber to be found is XXXXIPA, which I don't mind for what it is.

Smashed Pumpkin & Smashed Blueberry are where it's at.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  5. madnismo

Yea I'm not a big fan of Shipyard, but they are doing a Bourbon age on most of the beers they brew. From what I read only ABC stores will carry this.

6. Shipyard can fuck off. Except for Smashed Pumpkin and Blueberry.

7. Honestly, I don't think I'm going to touch Shipyard for a good long while. I'm a Mainer, Shipyard was my first beer, and it was my go-to beer for ages. But everytime I drink it I can't help but cringe at that nasty ass yeast strain they seem to use for all their brews.

They also inflicted the world with their beer-flavored pumpkin soda. So there's that.

TheMonkfish and davey101 like this.
  8. Then they did it again with that apple horse piss

9. I'll give it a chance because Im a New Englander and I like to buy and support New England breweries. If I lived anywhere else I probably wouldnt buy it. Pumpkinhead and Applehead are definitely terrible beers.

10. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Smashed Pumpkin and Blueberry are good, I tend not to buy their other stuff based on the reviews and so many other good choices.

11. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Most? I think so far there are 4 bourbon aged beers out of the whole portfolio of 20+ or however many they brew.

I've had 3 of the bourbon aged beers; one was decent, one marginal, and one undrinkable crap. And they're all in a style that I like, so it's not prejudice against the style. None was worth the money, especially at a time when there are so many bourbon-aged beers available.

12. beerinmaine

Don't blame the yeast (ringwood), blame the way they use it. There are examples of good ringwood beers, for example, the entire DFH 60/90/120 IPA line is ringwood.

jlpred55 likes this.
  13. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

There are so many better New England breweries to support than Shipyard. There are so many, in fact, I couldn't support them all if I wanted to. They're the only brewery I've totally written off. Haven't had a single good product from them

14. You hit the nail on the head. I would love to see what their beers would taste like if they fermented to completion instead of cold crashing after 3-4 days.

15. Dope

Dope Advocate (575) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Their new bourbon barrel lineup is actually pretty decent from the ones I've tried. The bourbon barrel Smashed Pumpkin was one of the best pumpkin ales around. Up there with Pumking!

Dope

16. why's everyone so down on shipyard...double thumper is a great DIPA...Their pumpkin beer is one of the best out there...IMO

WassailWilly likes this.
  17. I'd love to get ahold of it! Their regular English Barleywine is delicious.

18. I like their export ale. Other beers not so much. Their QC department seems to be non-existent.

I saw this beer with a 'RARE' placard at my local and laughed.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  19. Thumper and Double Thumper ROCK !!!

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  20. beerinmaine

We're down on shipyard because their beer is, at best, average. I used to think it was pretty good until I'd tried actual good beer. It's a useful gateway from BMC beers to good beers, but that's about it from a BA standpoint.

Double Thumper isn't a DIPA, much less a great one; it scores a firm average:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/139/65848

Much of their beer is poorly made with incredibly distinctive off-flavors from diacetyl:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacetyl

And some is just plain horrible and gimmicky, like Applehead.

21. beerinmaine

Happily there are dozens and dozens of other, better New England breweries, so I can buy local and still buy beer I like.

:)

22. Shipyard is widely distributed and available all over. Im sure theres better stuff out there but its not as easy to find. I dont wanna have to dig and dig and drive miles and miles for stuff.

23. Gotta come to the defense of Shipyard here...if you actually appreciate English-style IPAs, their Fuggles IPA is one of the best available in the States, at least that I've ever come across, but you wouldn't know that from the BA ratings. Chock-full of flavor, and authentic. They have some 'dud' beers for sure, but a LOT of breweries do (even some highly-rated ones) and they don't take near the schtick. Two good English-style barleywines at good prices, a decent ESB, a more-than-servicable Summer Blonde Ale...a couple of 'gimmick beers' aside, are they really that bad?

If you wanna get down on someone for diactyl, you're gonna have to throw Sam Smith's and several other British breweries in there as well...some styles, it's SUPPOSED to be there...

bishopdc0 and Ranbot like this.
  24. Im not defending Shipyard. Ive had maybe 5 of their beers and none were outstanding. Im just saying Im willing to try all their beers at least once because they are so readily available and easy to find. Believe me, Ive never had one of their bears more than once.

25. I think its not good for their image that their most popular beer (Pumpkinhead) is their worst beer. If they were a good brewery then wouldnt that Fuggles IPA youre talking about be more popular than a horrible pumpkin ale ?

26. So, I am wondering if I understand this correctly - "cold crashing" causes the yeast to go dormant before they have had time to re-absorb the diacetyl that was created during fermentation? And presumably, this saves time (and therefore money)?
    Or is it possible they do this on purpose because they actually want the diacetyl? The beers I've had from them have been pretty straightforward British style, where some levels of diacetyl are accepted or even desired, right? I know ringwood has a reputation as being difficult to work with, I wonder if their processes are in place to try to help keep things consistent.
    Just curious if anyone knows more about how they go about things. As a New England guy I kinda root for them, even though most of the stuff I've had from them is in the "ok" to "good" category (with the noted exception of that apple crap, which was just downright awful).

27. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

After trying Pumpkinhead; pretty much the worst thing I've ever tasted, I'm skeptical about trying any other beers from them.

28. I get your point about the hurt image, and concede it. However, I think the issue w/the Fuggles IPA is that English IPA just isn't very popular stateside...I'm one of the very few that craves it more often than the American C-hop type :)

29. madnismo

you are right! I guess I was thinking of what we only get in FL.

30. madnismo

That's pretty funny.

31. beerinmaine

I can walk into any grocery store in Maine and get better beer: Sierra Nevada, Baxter, Allagash, Ommegang, Sam Adams, others.

It's fine to drink Shipyard if that's what you like, but don't say it's hard to find better things.

32. Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams are easy to find around here but the others you mentioned I havent seen around. Ill try to look for them next time.

33. willbm3

There are alot of beers widely distributed and available all over that you don't have to look hard to find (Lagunitas, Southern Tier, Sierra Nevada, DFH, Sam Adams, Oskar Blues, etc.). None of those leave a foul taste in my mouth

34. ^Yup I drink all those and they are easy to find. I was talking about New England made beers.

35. As far as I can tell it's a time/money saving method. Once the beer is a couple points away from the target FG, it is cold crashed, leaving all the diacetyl that the yeast would have mostly cleaned up (as you said). After another day or two, the beer is racked to a conditioning tank where finings are added and 24 hours later it is filtered and carbonated, immediately before packaging. The Pugsley system was designed for brew pubs, getting the beer from grain to glass in 7 days, allowing them to have less fermenters and conditioning/bright tanks. I believe Shipyard is just a scaled up version of that system.

36. willbm3

Who cares where it's made? Sam Adams is technically New England. Southern Tier is close enough. How about Allagash, Harpoon, Smuttynose, Maine Beer Co, Magic Hat, and countless others that I'm sure are regularly stocked at your local store

37. ^ Ive had beers from those places. Let me say again that I havent had a Shipyard beer more than once. :)

38. Thanks for shedding light on that. Interesting stuff. I note that they both add finings and then filter the beer, which in my limited knowledge would seem to be redundant. One of these days I've got to take a tour of that place - I drive by it a couple times a year... It does sound like they do things a little differently than other breweries, so I wonder if they will expound on that during a tour (although I suspect not, since generally most tours of places like that are of the "this is malt, this is water" variety).

39. Agreed, their export ale is good stuff. After that......not for me.

40. I don't think fining and filtering are necessarily redundant, but I think the fining speeds up the conditioning time quite a bit, otherwise it would be a bear to filter.