1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shipyard - Melonhead

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by TheMonkfish, Feb 15, 2013.

1. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

2. Dunno really what I'm looking at here, but Ringwood works really well for them in beers that it's suited to, at least in my humble opinion. Their Barleywine and Fuggles IPA, for example, are pretty good.

3. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Didnt open the attachment but this melonhead you speak of sounds epically terrible!

4. TheMonkfish

I can only guess that it's along their lines of Applehead, Pumpkinhead brews. Maybe buttery melon is a great combo that I've not tried - if they stick to the Ringwood only thing perhaps this beer will change my mind about diacetyl.

5. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Great... now I'll have customers coming in asking for "that friggin' melon beer". Thanks Shipyard. I don't think the melon will go against the Ringwood though, probably compliment it in all honesty- just don't expect a great beer.

6. TheMonkfish

At least all of them will be wearing the pink girly versions of the local baseball teams' logo :)

If my local sells it by the bottle I will totally try one but I'll be damned if I encourage more Ringwood by buying a sixer.

BTW - I thought that Alan was retiring after his daughter graduated and was going to move back to the UK. Wha' happened?

7. TheMonkfish

Fantastic link sir!

8. You haven't lived until you have eaten hot buttered melon. Now you can drink it too.

9. I have it on good authority that this will not be buttery lemon but watermelon.

10. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

Shityard does it again.

jleblanc likes this.
  11. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

:confused: o_O

One of those guys is the right expression. Melonhead? Really?

12. i'm from Maine and yes I love shipyard. But they do have some amazing beers and some beers that are just to weird as do most micro breweries but you can't hate the whole company off of one beer. Everyone has different tastes

13. TheMonkfish

I don't hate the company - it's just that I don't enjoy the beers they make because they all use an ingredient that I am not particularly fond of in terms of what it does to the flavor and mouthfeel of the beer. I know that a ton of people love it because they always have heaps of Applehead at grocery stores, and if it didn't sell the stores wouldn't carry it. It's just my take on their current offerings.

14. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Some amazing beers? Please. They have some beers that are tolerable at best

15. There are 2 reasons for a store to have a lot of a particular beer on the shelves... either they move a lot if the product or they can't move it at all and have to discount it greatly to clear the shelves. Applehead is clearly the latter in my experience, Gary's in Portsmouth had it for 8.99 a case( possibly less) as did a few other stores in southern me/nh

16. Agreed! Had a Monkey's Fist on tap the other night and thought it was decent. Bitter, but that was about it. The XXXX IPA/barleywine was way too sweet, but I know alot of guys that like it. Then again, most of them also drink Pumpkinhead every fall because it's some sort of Mainer tradition. Frankly, I'd rather drink Allen's coffee brandy (also a Mainer tradition) than Pumpkinhead!