1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shipyard's new bourbon barrel aged

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MontereyBay831, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Has anyone drank it yet? I havent seen a review online, and haven't found a thread about it, so i was wondering what the deal is and how its drinking!

I was lucky enough to score two of these (and the box itself that they came in).

[​IMG]

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  2. I saw it, hand numbered around $15. I want to pick one up.

3. I saw it, saw it said Shipyard on it it and picked up something else.

4. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I think it's commendable that Shipyard is attempting to mask their awful tasting beers with bourbon flavoring.

plaid75, gameface23, ant880 and 7 others like this.
  5. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Hell it works for everybody else. Why not ride this wagon?

GennyCreamAle and xanok like this.
  6. reviews from friends on the Bourbon Barrel Smashed Pumpkin were not good.

7. I loved the Bourbon Barrel Smashed Pumpkin. I then tried Bourbon Barrel Prelude... only beer I've drain poured so far. Depends on your tastes. Give it a try, got nothing [but $15] to loose...

8. What is a double scottish ale? Wouldnt that be a scotch ale or wee heavy? Sounds weird to me.

Duff27 likes this.
  9. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

None of the above.

10. Really? Im looking at the style descriptions and they seem closely related. Scottish ales have their own sub-categories. And this is the first time I've ever seen someone call a beer a double scottish ale. What is their significant difference that keeps a wee heavy from being it's imperial version?

11. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Aged in a butter barrel?

12. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

In my opinion at least, the styles aren't closely related enough to say that a wee heavy is just a big version of a Scottish ale. I'm aware that the brewing process is similar and they have other similar properties, but to me, the end result is that the two styles just don't taste that similar. If a brewer wants to make a beer and call it a double Scottish ale instead of a wee heavy, I'm all for it.

13. I had a glass of Bourbon bbl aged Prelude a couple of weeks ago and it was quite enjoyable. Thankfully it did not taste like Bourbon and surprisingly did not detect any diacetyl.

14. I would love to try the Bourbon bbl aged Prelude.. Is it a bomber sized bottle ?

15. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Let's just say that Detour you have in the background is most likely going to be better. Average beer, not worth the $15 I paid

16. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

If the first 3 Shipyard BBL offerings are any indication....I rated 1 decent, 1 poor, and 1 undrinkable. None was worth the $. (and they're a style I like, and that price point doesn't usually deter me in the least)

17. Doesn't work for Founders

18. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

It doesn't?!

19. Had a bottle of this last night, not worth the $15. They need to improve on their barrel program or lower the cost.

20. I wouldn't suggest buying it. I only paid that insane amount for the bourbon aged pumpkin ale because I've got this urge to try every pumpkin beer ever made, and it was pretty MEH. I prefer their original Smashed Pumpkin over this one that was twice the price and half the excitement.

21. I love Shipyard's export ale, but everything else I have had from them is not good. I'd be hard pressed to spend $15 on any bomber, let alone something from them. No thanks.

22. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Aficionado (170) Vermont Apr 14, 2013

Wrong move....this stuff is REALLY good.

DevilsCups likes this.
  23. I have yet to have a Shipyard beer that I liked.

tehzachatak likes this.
  24. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

My stomach is CHURNING just thinking about it....HEYO!

tstigz likes this.
  25. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (335) Florida Jan 26, 2012

butter.....churning. i get it

26. Shipyard can fuck off.

27. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Aficionado (170) Vermont Apr 14, 2013

We all have our own opinions and tastes, and thats fine. No need to be rude. I've not been impressed with many of Shipyard's offerings, but this one, which was on tap at a local bar, just happens to be pretty darn tasty. To each their own...