1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

shops and bars or pubs in knoxville

Discussion in 'US - South' started by crazedmex, Feb 8, 2013.

1. I am visiting knoxville this weekend is there any shops, great bars, pubs, and good restaurants that are a must to visit?
  2. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

I just went last weekend. Suttrees High Gravity Tavern on Gay street ruled.

There was also a place called the Casual Pint that had lower gravity stuff. They had bottles on sale and a bunch of taps, including their house beer for $3 on draft. Looked cool but I didn't have a lot of time so I just went to Suttrees.
    Photekut likes this.
  3. TN has some really strange liquor laws, so good luck.
  4. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I grew up in Knoxville. Suttree's is probably the best all around beer bar now in my opinion. Casual Pint is ok, but tends to get crowded. Otherwise...

Beer stores: Bearden Beer Market (lower ABV selection)
    McScrooge's (Higher ABV/bombers)

Brewpubs: Only 2
    Downtown Grill and Brewery (not great beers, but can be a fun atmosphere and right across the street from Suttree's)
    Smokey Mountain Grill and Brewery (Appalaichain Pale is probably the best beer there)

Bars:
    Suttree's
    Union Jack (if you smoke and don't mind a semi-dive)
    Sapphire has decent cocktails

Restaurant:
    Hard Knox Pizza is the best pizza IMO, wood-fired
    Tomato Head
    Sweet Pea's for BBQ if you don't mind a bit of a drive (at the end of Pellissippi Pkwy)
    Little Bangkok still has some of my favorite Thai food ever. Taste of Thai is really well respected.
    Aubrey's Cafe off of Cedar Bluff (and only the Cedar Bluff one) has some ok taps and all 4 locations have pretty good food.
    Sunspot
    Tupelo Honey

Shops: None to speak of, but plenty of chains.

There's also a new brewery that opened in Maryville, which is a fairly short drive from Knoxville. Bluetick. Haven't had it, but I'm going down this weekend. Have fun.