1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Short Bottles vs Long Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JuniperJesus, Jun 14, 2013.

?

Twelve Ounce Bottles: Long vs Short

1. Longneck

27.9%
  2. Stubby

72.1%
  1. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I personally like the short 12 ounce bottles used by Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, and Founders. They fit better in coolers and are easier to organize in the fridge. The longneck bottles are difficult to manage but they look great when a girl is drinking straight from the bottle.

2. WTF.

Flibber, Higy, Sneers and 12 others like this.
  3. The short neck bottles fit in my SN case that I use in my cellar to age 12 oz bottles so I like them better.

4. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

I don't know, if a girl is drinking straight from the bottle then obviously she's not a beer geek. Could there be a bigger turnoff??

5. Doesn't matter to me, it's what's inside that counts as far as I'm concerned.

Kerrie likes this.
  6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Every beer should come in 16oz cans.

njramsfan, jRocco2021, mrkmrk and 2 others like this.
  7. As a homebrewer who reuses these bottles I wish they were all the same size and shape. Its sucks trying to fill up a case of beer with 3 different bottle sizes.

8. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I like the hand grenade bottles personally, but hate the stuff inside which is Mickeys. Reingold used to make a chug a mug bottle, brown but just like Mickey's. Killer for slamming one back.

9. I need a "No Preference" choice.

Kerrie, LMT and surfcaster like this.
  10. But those aren't stubbies - they're called "Heritage" bottles in the industry.

What, then, is a stubby?

[​IMG]

Says it right on the label.

11. They both pour into a glass without issue.

12. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

13. nc41

Blaming the beer on the label? Under the pinky finger there's an S and fault that you can't see.:)

14. We almost had a civil war here in Canada when the beer went from stubbies to long necks. I personally was on team stubby.

Lordquackingstic likes this.
  15. I prefer longnecks.

16. Prefer cans myself.

nc41 likes this.
  17. I say cans>short neck>long neck.

loafinaround likes this.
  18. Purchasing with your penis again?

19. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Longnecks work better with my capper, damn shorties seal weird

Beerontwowheels and VictorWisc like this.
  20. I've preferred longnecks since the early brewing days. Most stubbies at that point were either twist-offs or BMC, so could not reuse them (didn't buy BMC to begin with). And agree on the capper -- definitely easier to use with longnecks. We used to repurchase returnable Carling Black Label and Grolsch pop-tops from recyclers -- illegal even back then, but they all knew what was going on an saved good bottles for us. Don't like cans for either drinking or pouring, but if the contents come out ok, I don't care what used to hold it.

21. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'd grab a bcbs right out of a girl's hand if she drank it straight from the bottle! Remember our motto: respect beer.
    (The benefit of not having a "second brain")

will say, I very much appreciate cans and founders bottles for their lack of height. those super tall bottles are too tall to store in many little crevices.

22. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I like short bottles because they fit on the top shelf of my fridge. Bombers fit on the middle shelf, and long necks fit on the bottom.

23. Kerrie

Kerrie Advocate (510) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

As someone who pours everything into a glass, who cares? I can see the storage argument, but I never have that much at once anyway.

24. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Just when you thought discussing the minutiae of beer couldn't get more ridiculous....

Bam!

The Short Bottles vs. Long Bottles poll thread happens. :confused:

HighWine likes this.
  25. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Stubbies and 16 oz tallboy cans should be the only beer containers allowed, by law.

PaulyB83 and Feel_the_Darkness like this.
  26. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

...Two cans? :rolleyes:

tectactoe and djsmith1174 like this.
  27. mrcraft

mrcraft Champion (760) California Dec 15, 2012

It's funny I came across this thread tonight because I was thinking about this yesterday. I received a box with 8 Founders bottles and rest were Bell's, Short's, Dark Horse, all long necks. I took a photo, and started to for the first time think about which I liked better. I'm with the OP, I like the short stubby ones better.

[​IMG]

utopiajane likes this.
  28. I prefer empty.

29. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (560) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

Short bottles are easier to ship and they look less phallic.

30. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (380) Italy Apr 19, 2009

Strange, I'm the opposite. I prefer my bottles to be full of beer. ;)

31. You never drink the beer?:oops:

32. Stubby, shorter distance from the bottle, to the glass, to my mouth.

33. nc41

I prefer cans, then stubby's, then the wide mouth like Mickeys without actually having Mickeys in it. Haven't seen the hand grenade bottles in Many many years. Long necka are great for Cowboys to swig by the neck, but they're a pain to pack and ship.

34. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

I agree with you !!!

35. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Actually, IIRC, "stubbies" are bottles like Red Stripe and Full Sail "Session". The other types of bottles that are not longnecks are "Heritage" or some sort. I really dunno for sure. I would not mind someone w/more knowledge, like jessK, providing some input into this.

36. MCDub

MCDub Savant (320) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

I like my bottles like I like my teapots; Short and stout. I do prefer cans though.

37. I dislike bottles of that sort of volume. Give me a good 500ml (about 17 oz) bottle so I can have a proper drink.

sfsean28 likes this.