1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Short's Freedom of '78 (Pure Guava IPA)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by HopHeadHerman, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Freedom of '78 bottled and ready to ship!

A nice medium bodied IPA with a wonderful bright clarity and pleasing bronze hue. The aroma is a unique fusion of citrus fruit combined w/ subtle pine qualities. The distinct characteristics of the guava nectar are impossible to miss as the sharp sweetness and slightly tart flavors snap across the palate. Comparable attributes of tangerine, nectarine, and even some faint honey flavors are detectable. The finish quickly turns to a bitterness expected of an IPA, that resonates and turns dry during prolonged tastings.

[​IMG]
    Bitter_Echo, zencigar, Zaphog and 2 others like this.
  2. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

oh man wow. i missed it last time. will HA have it in chicago?
  3. Fitzmke

Fitzmke Savant (250) Texas Dec 27, 2011

I had this at shorts while on my honeymoon in traverse city and it was superb! Hopefully I can find a trader in mi wiling to send me some.
  4. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Sooooo much better than the version Half Acre brewed. Can't wait for this one!
    Srodri10 and northernbrews like this.
  5. ravot

anyone know if they distribute this out of their brewery? hitting stores? i got a buddy out in ann arbor who can hopefully help me out.
  6. Yes, it will be distributed in six packs to certain independent retailers throughout the Ann Arbor Market.
  7. ravot

awesome! no bombers?
  8. No, we are not doing bombers but we are considering them for the future.
    NSaad23 likes this.
  9. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Will it make it to the West side? Muskegon/GR??
  10. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

Damn! Time for a Michigan road trip. Loved the HA version of this, heard the shorts was just as good if not better the first time around.
  11. Yes, Short's is distributed throughout the entire state of Michigan, but that's as far as we go.
  12. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I am so calling in a favor.

Cheers!
  13. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Cool thanks, I was just asking because you said itd be in certain independant retailers in Ann Arbor. Just made it sound like it wasn't a full distrobution in Michigan.
  14. Time to push it down south, like to N.Cackalacky.
  15. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Anyone find this yet around the GR area? I have yet to see it, and I've been looking... Just got a sixer of Prolonged Enjoyment though! :)
  16. This will be part of the Short's Tap Takeover this coming Tuesday at Boatworks in S.C.S. very few tickets left as of this morning.
  17. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Any chance of this hitting the east coast? I know I've seen a few shorts beers pop up in MA recently. I traded for a bunch of this last year and loved it. Soooo good!
  18. dmdoub

dmdoub Aficionado (175) Maryland Nov 5, 2005

This sounds delicious. Sometimes you can find Shorts stuff in DC, so I'll have to keep an eye out. In case you aren't aware, the name is a Ween reference.
    wesleypipes237 and jaxon53 like this.
  19. I would love it if someone traded me this!
  20. We aim to keep our specialty beers in independent places instead of the big chain stores as a way of saying thank you. Not every independent is going to get a case on account of the usually small yield, but that's where they mainly go.

I've seen a lot of folks asking about us going to other states and areas to distribute, so this is a great opportunity for me to state that Short's has no plans to ever distribute outside of Michigan, much like New Glarus does for Wisconsin. Although we had the 3rd largest sales in the state for Michigan microbreweries (2011), we simply do not wish to extend our distribution range. It is our goal to grow to meet Michigan's needs, then simply level off.

You may see us in stores around GABF in Denver or Boston during the EBF, but that is extremely limited distribution. We usually only send a couple pallets and give the residents there a taste of some of our offerings.

I'm sure many of our residents would be glad to trade/ship a bottle or two to someone out of state, so network! Also, there is a store called the Beer Baron in Livonia, MI that ships beer out of state (if it's legal to receive it in your state), so check with them as well, it is a great beer store.

I also cannot stress how awesome our brewpub is in Bellaire, MI. We would love to have you pay us a visit and drink our brews from the place where it all started. FYI--our Anniversary party is on the 28th. There will be some very special releases that day, including "Aww Jeah--To The Face!", a Double Huma.

Cheers and May the Short's be with you.
  21. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Awesome. Guess I shouldn't take the few shorts offerings I find out here for granted. Forgot that GABF allows us to see some product near Boston.
  22. Hello. I called the brewery and they recommended I try this approach but as I am sure most everyone around here knows they do not ship outside of Michigan. Anyone want beer that I may be able to obtain in Los Angeles that you cannot get in Michigan so we can trade? Excuse me if I sound like a moron but this is my first post here on this site..thank you.
  23. Sorry, my earlier post may be misplaced..I think I should be in the trading forum..
    GoldenChild likes this.
  24. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Savant (485) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

I am grateful that I am in easy driving distance to Michigan (as well as Wisconsin for New Glarus) when I make the drive to stock up every couple of months. I hope there is still going to be some the Freedom of '78 in my Shorts stock up store in 2 weeks.
    BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  25. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

Picked up a six pack today in Kalamazoo. Keep your eyes open around the state this week.
    Wade5614 likes this.
  26. MichPaul

Do you mind giving the store name and such? I have a contact there that may also be able to pick me up a pack. Was there much left?
  27. gueuzer

gueuzer Savant (260) Colorado Jun 9, 2010

Here's a link to a little more info on the Ween background of the name.

http://inyourguts.blogspot.com/2010/06/ween-beer.html

As a huge Ween fan, I think this is pretty damn cool. I'm still wondering why its called "Freedom of 78" and not "Freedom of 76" like the song though.
  28. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Do you know if this will be available around the Chicago area if Half Acre is involved? Or are they brewing their own version?
  29. ravot

i picked up a growler of chocolate camaro last week and spoke beer for a couple of minutes. i mentioned freedom of 78 to one of the dudes, they didn't even know it was re released. in the past, i know they brought up different brewery names for collabs as a tease, but never spilled the whole beans. he seemed genuinely shocked. so i doubt it. i really wish though.
  30. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Drakes Party Center has tons.
    MichPaul likes this.
  31. I'm not sure if Half Acre will be brewing it again. Ours will not be distributed in Chicago.
  32. It's called Freedom of '78 because that's the year the brewer's were born. It's a reference to Ween, with a slight change.
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  33. Weter

Weter Aficionado (155) Michigan Oct 24, 2011

What's everyone paying for a 6 pack? My local shop notoriously marks up beer, so I just want a frame of reference.
  34. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

I bought a couple of other beers (imagine that) but I think it was $11 or $12 / 6 pack
  35. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

$12 a Sixer at the legit places, $13-$15 at the rest of the shops.
  36. NSaad23

NSaad23 Aficionado (200) Michigan Dec 13, 2011

Just picked up a sixer today, looking forward to trying it out later. Was $12.99 where I purchased it.
  37. MichPaul

I also managed to find some of this yesterday. Some feedback by anyone that's tried it? A little bit later I will try it!
  38. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

got some today! think I paid 10.99 for it. it was good, very different then I expected, smelled like peaches, tasted like peaches, almost reminded me of zombie dust except less citrusy.
  39. ravot

^^^ mmm! hoping to get a case to me in chicago.
  40. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

I don't think I could drink a case, a sixer was enough, not saying its not good, just not really a great ipa.
    MichPaul likes this.