1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Should Baudoinia be listed as its own beer?

Discussion in 'Site' started by Treebs, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

This is the newest beer in GI's Fulton and Wood Series. This is still BCBS and while it's not necessarily a different variant the type of barrels used imparted some different flavor profiles than normal BCBS. They are still normal bourbon barrels used for the regular BCBS. Maybe an admin can chime in about this.

It's been talked about in the Great Lakes forum here and even the Brett Porter stated it's a different type of BCBS in the video about this beer.

Got a review line-up and I'm just wondering if I should tack it on to my existing BCBS review or create a new entry for this beer. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ryan

2. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I would appreciate a new entry, because they're being marketed under two names and the point of this beer is that it's a special type of BCS.

Here's what I know:
    It's 1% abv under bcs (so 14%?)
    It uses 100% heaven hill barrels vs. whatever the barrel mix is for 2012 BCS (Laffler said 3% was Rebel Yell barrels from the aborted Wheat Whiskey BCS)
    They do taste different side by side

The whole aging altitude/moldy barrel component seems like a stretch, but if that alone made a uniquely identifiable beer, then I would vote for a separate listing.

3. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

This is definitely how I feel as well.

4. Me and Alex talked about this a bit.

I believe he was leaning towards making a seperate entry on BA. We are set for not allowing a seperate entry on RB.

5. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (990) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Goose Island took the time to give it a separate name, and it has some distinguishing features so it's going to stay as is. My biggest concern is whether or not users are aware what they are consuming, so that reviews end up in the right place - in this case, it has a new name and would never be confused with regular BCS by the purchaser.

6. ChrisPro

ChrisPro Savant (365) Illinois Oct 16, 2009

If you're still taking separate opinions on the matter, I'm all for a separate entry, based on three reasons:

1. draft only
    2. lower ABV
    3. this tastes completely different than BCBS and I don't think anyone who has had regular BCBS would disagree

That's just my $0.03

7. slander

slander Site Editor (590) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

draft only would not be considered as criteria for it's own entry.
    The fact of the matter is that it's a different beer...
    Do it up.

ChrisPro likes this.
  8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I think the original poster that you responded too meant that the fact that this special version/Baudoinia (which I believe warrants an individual listing) is tap only while the normal BCBS is available in bottles/tap/etc... The fact that it is treated differently than the normal beer (different barrels, different ABV) is why he is advocating it should be separately listed vs. saying that any beer vintage that is tap only should be separate - that adds to what makes it different that BCBS.

9. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

The brewery treats it as a different beer (name, etc.), so I agree that it should have its own listing.