1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Should Big Box Liquor stores get limited beers?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by aussieoverlord, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Only ask this as Dan Murphy's gets a bit of Ballast Point stuff and seemed to get both Sierra Nevada Northern and Southern Hemisphere beers before "boutique shops" got them. Have been in two Wooly's liquor stores and the beers are in the fridge.

Should the big boxes stores get the more limited beers from Europe and America as it would be more readily available to the public as to hunting down a smaller shop that has a bigger range. Would be nice to see Olivia, bigfoot and other SN beers in a larger format.
  2. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Well you sort of have a contradiction in terms here of having a "limited" beer being widely available.

I doubt there's enough supply of these beers to stock Dan Murphy's in the first place, and I also doubt there's enough demand for them to actually want to stock them, even if sufficient quantities could be supplied.

You can still buy Bigfoot, it's sitting round, so go grab it.
  3. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (665) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Ballast Point is different as DM is bringing it in themselves. I believe they have a special deal for the SN as well. As to whether they should, maybe not but I don't think Big Eye would be less than $18 in the independents so I won't complain.
  4. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Price not being a factor, I'd rather they didn't. That way the limited stuff is only at "craft" shops that I go to. I prefer not having to hunt around through several shops to find what I'm after. A bit selfish, but I can live with that.
  5. Dgilks------ You are in Canberra?? So what do you do for grog when Plonk is not open. Thursday-Sunday? Correct?

How does smaller shops that are rather obscure help craft beer? Is it not in the best interest to give a proper choice to punters?
    How does the average punter in NSW know anything about say like Murray's if the only option in most shops is Whale Ale? When the rest of his beers sit around at the one large but obscure shop in Newcastle?
    Would having more Aussie craft, Bridge Roads or Mountain Goat Rare breed, or Wild Thing, on the shelf at Dan's help the craft scene grow more here. it has to be visible to be seen. If you get my drift
  6. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (665) Australia Jul 14, 2008

I fully understand the point. The problem is that we need big box stores who are willing to list craft beer and not screw the breweries. They also need to understand that they can't get massive amounts of limited beers and be willing to list a product that each store may only get 6 of. Unfortunately, that isn't how they are working.

Now, some places in the US do it well like Total Wine and BevMo but until the Australian big boxes do it, we are between a rock and a hard place.
  7. CromDubh

CromDubh Aficionado (135) Australia May 17, 2009

Northern Hemisphere is even at Woolies in Darwin. I would say yes, the more the better as there are no boutique stores up here. Check out chick asked what was in the carton, so I said beer, good quality beer > "It would have to be at that price"
  8. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Wouldn't be enough stock to go around to the shops. The Harvest were brewed based on demand for Australia, so they factored in a Woolworths order, hence those being available.

I don't see how 20 cases of Brux can possibly go to Woolworths, let alone all the craft beer shops.
  9. Then it becomes a monopoly based upon "boutique shops" getting everything. Still does not answer the question of how to get the beers to the people, as speciality shops are niche and in a lot of cases email order if not in that shops area.
  10. Lukie

The masses don't want Brux, they want Corona.
  11. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Interesting definition of monopoly Clickcoke.
    Lukie likes this.
  12. Bring better options to the punters and they will come. If there is somebody willing to buy craft in Darwin, odds are there are more than just one. So what are his options? Dan's and Dan's only, as they have the logistics to bring the beer to the punters
  13. Lukie

No. A good independent store can easily bring good beer to the people. Plus Dan's works on high volume, high turn-over, low margins. It's why you can go and buy Black Marlin bombers around Perth for 5 bucks each, because it didn't work for Dan's and they needed to get rid of them.

Woolworths foray into craft beer isn't working out as well as people seem to think. Also, shipping to Darwin is 30.99 for a carton out of Perth, so essentially your comment about not having access to beer isn't exactly correct, it is just 1.30 more expensive per bottle, which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things.
  14. Wow, $31 for a carton. Add on the price of the beers and spend over $100 on a carton. Up to 5 days shipping in searing heat, non refrigerated and in a lot of cases getting older stock as I am a internet consumer.

Wooly's and Coles have not done what the US big box stores have done and that is their own fault. They have done is half arsed and the results they have gotten are expected.

I travel around enough to know that the better "boutique shops" bring in a lot of nice beers but then forget the important stuff like proper storage. Asking me to spend $30 on a carton is asking me to throw away good money.
  15. Lukie

I completely forgot that the big boys treat their products extremely well and my store and storage areas aren't temperature controlled.

Silly me.
    CromDubh and MordeciaFunk like this.
  16. CromDubh

CromDubh Aficionado (135) Australia May 17, 2009

"odds are there are more than just one". Despite the misconceptions of many we're not all VB swilling bogans up here. Only two cartons of Northern Hemisphere and sitting on a pallet near the entrance, not in the chiller (which is the only reason why I noticed it while passing). As I've never had it before I wouldn't know how it has been affected.
  17. mungus

mungus Savant (260) Australia Oct 19, 2010

The vast majority are VB swilling bogans unfortunately. Things certainly improving with places like the Precinct - however even the Precinct has completely missed the point with big screen TVs / dance floors / loud club music at all hours / staff with no idea.

I really don't mind paying $30 a carton for awesome beer - my only issue is that it becomes difficult to "just try a bottle of something new" because I've got to fill a carton every time. This means I'm spending minimum $30 (in almost every case, >$100) just to try something new.

Hence I would really appreciate it if IBS would pack up and move to Darwin so as to save me some cash kthnx
    CromDubh and Lukie like this.
  18. I would like to say its great that more craft beers become available in more regions by more accessible shops. I just have a fear (quite realistic) that if the scales shift too far too quickly for hard to find craft into big box movers that some integrity will get lost. Storage, service etc. also hard working craft beer stores slowly getting squeezed out.

I can picture Dans eventually grabbing craft by the neck, wringing the lowest prices from brewers, bringing direct from overseas (bye bye craft distributors) and the only person to talk to Bout beer being a 19 y.o. Checkout chick. I can't see anyone having fun with that scenario...

Like I said, everyone should be able to get craft beer but its quite hard to do as a shop, otherwise everyone would be able to do it. As for limited beers, well I guess that's why they are limited - hard to get for anyone!

I hope my post doesn't just sound like a Box Movers bashing.
    brendanos likes this.