1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Should I get FBS if Im not a stout lover?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ubenumber2, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Ok Ive tried many stouts and porters , just not a huge fan , I love strong ales and IPA's , that is my drink of choice. My state line store has a pallet of Breakfast Stout I'm wanting to try it but not sure if its just going to be another stout to me? Anyone else not a stout lover tried this beer?

2. Probably not, but palates do change & in the case of my wife, rather spontaneously.

For months and months, it was Kasteel Rouge Ale/fruited lambics or bitter beer face regardless of style.
    Then, out of nowhere, she takes her second sip of a Caldera Old Growth Imperial Stout and boom..."this isn't bad...this is pretty good".

Now her favorite beer is Bourbon County Brand Stout.
    Go figure.

beerborn and Drucifer like this.
  3. A lot of people love New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat, but I don't like hefeweizens, so I don't buy it when it comes out. I'd probably pass if I were you.

4. I'd skip it. It's got all the characteristics of a stout, so if you don't dig stouts then I can't see you liking it. With that said, I think it's an awesome beer. By the reviews it seems many feel the same way. So you may want to try a single if you can get it in a mix a six. If you like the single, then you're in luck because you've got a pallet of it in your backyard!

mecummins and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  5. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

You will never know until you try. With that said, palettes change, and 1 winter you might not like it. Where as the next winter you will love it. I say try it and if you dont like it, i am sure you know some one that will. But just remember, next year you might like it. So keep trying the beers you may not like the style of now.

DaKur likes this.
  6. Short answer: yes.
    Long answer: The question is, do you like coffee and chocolate, not stouts. If so, then oh, hell yes!

El_Zilcho likes this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

What is it with women having expensive taste? My wife likes the big sweet RIS and odell friek. Add in my love of big beers and I am perpetually broke.

RicheeD and fujindemon74 like this.
  8. I love coffee and chocolate separate , mix them together and its pure lust

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  9. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

if FBS can't make you a stout lover, nothing will.

10. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Your palate deceives you, this years FBS tasted nothing of coffee or chocolate. Tasted like a flat Guinness Stout to me.

11. Dude, tell me about it.
    But we don't have kids, so...

RobertColianni likes this.
  12. Ouch! I definitely got lots of coffee. So much that when I mixed FBS 50-50 with some Against the Grain Bo & Luke (stout aged in PVW barrels), it completely dominated the other beer.

Zaphog likes this.
  13. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Do you ask people to make other choices in your life for you on a regular basis? If you don't like the style and don't want to try something new, move to something you do like.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  14. From what you said i doubt you would like it. But if you don't have to use your rent $ give it a shot.

15. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Sorry I forgot to add the stick out tongue smiley. I'm not really a fan and like to give people crap because I haven't got around to most stouts yet and I guess I feel like I am missing out. Big fan of Surly Darkness, though, not quite sure what the problem is.

Cheers!!!

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  16. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Fear no Beer!

MVotter and MADhombrewer like this.
  17. def worth a try. and sometimes the right beer will turn you on to a style you don't normally drink

mecummins and ubenumber2 like this.
  18. If you asked about KBS, I would say yes. If you asked about the freshly released Imperial Stout, I would also say yes. I'm not so sure I'd say yes about FBS. I think the other two are better.

wiscokid920 likes this.
  19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Yeah, we have one, trying for number two at the end of this summer... Stops me from buying copious amounts of beer, but I still get my fair share.

And to the OP, if you don't love stouts, I'd save the cash and buy something you love. I love stouts and saisons. I tick them all day long, but when I tick styles I don't love I am usually left wishing I had just bought something better.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  20. I'd suggest exploring american barleywines, and possibly old ales if you can dig malt.

Some things you'd probably have a greater chance of appreciating/liking more than stouts & porters at the moment....

Great Divide Old Ruffian
    AleSmith Old Numbskull
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    Avery Hog Heaven
    Southern Tier Backburner

North Coast Old Stock Ale
    Bells Third Coast Old Ale
    Great Divide Hibernation
    Fuller's Vintage Ale
    Founder's Old Curmudgeon

21. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Your not a stout lover and your asking if you should buy a case of...a stout? Probably not, especially if you just want to try it. BM your address and I'll send you a bottle, no kidding. Then if you like it tear up the case.

arfenhouse likes this.
  22. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Agree with fujindemon74. Tastes can change. I think it's common for many people to come around to stouts after originally not liking them.

But if you've had a stout recently and absolutely hated it, then I'm not sure Breakfast Stout will be all the different. It does have a bit more chocolate and coffee flavor than others so if that's interests you give it a shot.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  23. Pick up a 4 pack. If you like it, it will be your gateway to stouts.
    If you don't, send the other 3 to me. I am almost out.

dachshunddude86 and ubenumber2 like this.
  24. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I say yes. As long as you have friends to share with.
    That way they can finish it up!

25. My bad I thought this was a sight to gain and share information on beer. No reason to answer with such a smug response that was no help to anyone at all but maybe your own ego

FUNKPhD likes this.
  26. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Nah if you already know your palate doesn't prefer stouts right now, there's no point in buying a 4-pack of FBS for yourself. You might as well spend the money on something else that you're into.

27. Well thanks to great BA member beerborn I tried one of these bad boys , the answer to the question is yes I should try FBS if I am not a stout fan , I really enjoyed this beer , so much that I drove to the state line and bought a couple cases , thanks again beerborn

mecummins likes this.
  28. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

i'd give it a shot.
    are you a chocolate/coffee fan?

29. Dope

Dope Advocate (600) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Then I think you've found your answer. I'm actually surprised you don't like stouts, most stouts have at least SOME coffee and/or chocolate flavor in them.

Edit: Nevermind, saw you just had it. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Dope

30. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

If you don't like any apples you've ever tried, and the super market gets on a new variety, would you buy it?

Also, the apple costs 11 dollars.

31. dhannes

dhannes Savant (385) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I tend to like porters and oatmeal stouts, but not regular "stouts." I bought a 4-pack of FBS and was a bit surprised at how bitter it was. Personal preference is subjective...my best guess is that you won't care for it too much...see if you can get a single first or someone to split it with you.

32. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

No problem, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm actually enjoying some FBS infused with vanilla beans a little later on tonight.

33. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'm still waiting for this breakthrough myself. I have the opposite tendancies to you. I like very dark beers... stouts mainly. Don't even glance at IPAs. Kinda criminal, I know. I suspect 10 years from now I will regret this behavior.

34. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

35. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I hated "hoppy" beers until I tried Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada. Sometimes you guy need to find the right flavor profile before you can enjoy a particular type. Glad you enjoyed your FBS (it's pretty amazing, right?)

36. as a former strict hop head, yes you should get FBS. You better hurry up though, youre running out of time, i cant find it anywhere by me.

37. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Yes, it's a 100 pointer. You don't have the opportunity to drink too many of those.

38. Whistlepig89

Whistlepig89 Aspirant (40) Ohio Sep 16, 2011

I find it worthwhile to try something outside your norm every once in a while. I'm primarily a drinker of heavily hopped, beers, but on a whim I tried one recently with all malt flavor and very light, background hop presence. Holy crap was it good.

In the beginning, I was strictly an "If I can see daylight through it, it's not dark enough!" man. Then I stumbled upon the IPA... WOW. Taste in beer can be ever changing if you like more than one style and allow yourself to roam. I Just find something that looks interesting, grab it up and stuff it in a single six, try 'em one by one. Regardless, whether your horizons are broad or narrow, just make sure you're enjoying your beer.

39. It depends on what you dislike about Stouts. Is it the viscosity? The charred sort of bitterness? Either way, Founder's Breakfast Stout is fairly robust. If Stout isn't your thing, it isn't a good choice. You might be better off with something like a Baltic Porter or English-Style Porter/Stout. They tend to be a touch softer and rounder in flavor and texture, making them much more easy-drinking.

40. I read the thread and saw you tried it. My opinion on the situation is this is a great crossover from IPA and strong ales because of its biterness. Great beer. But I also agree with above who said KBS and RIS from founders are seriously better. But what do I know? I'm drinking a palate wrecker as we speak.