1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shutout to Crabtree

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by FishPondManager, Jul 29, 2012.

1. This could be pure homerism, but I must say that Crabtree's ménage a trois is superb. Just had a couple bottles with a good friend who is close to the brewery, and I must say I will be purchasing more. It's a very well constructed beer. The different barrels and styles play off one another in harmony. It's worth the price to try a bottle.
    coreymcafee and denver10 like this.
  2. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I tried a bottle of it the other week and really enjoyed it as well. I couldn't quite find the oatmeal stout in it (though the whiskey barrels it aged in was there) but it didn't need it to be there for it to be good, only might have made it better.

Think I preferred the Menage a Trois to their Berliner Weiss, which was also a winner.
  3. Agree, the stout isn't there, but the barrel is. I don't have much experience with braggot, but I think it borders along a strong ale/braggot. For comparison sake, I'd take ménage over Collage.
  4. I really like their Berliner Weisse. It may not be the best example of the style, but it comes close, is pretty readily available, super refreshing, and inexpensive.
  5. denver10

Just checked out their Peach Berliner Weiss, which was on tap at Mayor of Old Town, and really enjoyed that one a lot too. Thought it was a better than the original, which as I mentioned above I was also a fan of.

Crabtree has made a few great beers for sure. Now I kinda wish I sprung for that bottle of Peach Saison I saw at Mr. B's before I made the move up here to Fort Collins.
  6. mazerock

mazerock Aficionado (100) Colorado Jun 13, 2012

The peach saison is damn good you should find a bottle or two and age one, I have a feeling it might get better with a little life on it... I love all the small batch they do...
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  7. denver10

Yeah, will do if I can find it. I wonder if I hit up their taproom (now that I am only like a half hour or so from it) they might have some of it available?
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

The only beer I've had from them is their Jeff's Pale Ale, which didn't impress me. Mind you, that was over 2 years ago. I'm glad to read that they've upped their game.
  9. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

Drinking a Manage right now. I was worreied it would be on the sour end because of the merlot barrels. But even though there is a flash of sour, a sweet taste kicks in immediately after, evening it out. I cant say Id spend $8 for a 2nd one, but Im glad I tried it.
  10. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Do you just mean the Cezanne Saison?
  11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,005) Colorado May 19, 2005

I think they dropped that beer...it wasn't on par with many other beers.

And I think they just moved
  12. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Their Berliner is definitely a great one. While not the most exciting beer in the world, Ginger Bee's a hell of a Summer quencher. I haven't seen it in a while, but their original Braggot was nice, too.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

there was cezanne saison and they also released peachtree cezanne saison. that was a phenom of a beer. despite advise from a friend i only picked up one. of course after i drank it i went looking for more only to find out that shit is gone.
  14. Steve_0

Ahh ok, I was going to say I still see Cezanne Saison At Mr. B's, but I have had the peachtree. It was on tap at Avery's Sour Fest this year.
  15. denver10

The Mayor of Old Town listed a peach berlinerweiss at 4 something abv, so I would adsume it was not the saison (which I thought I saw listed as a higher abv).
  16. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (660) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

The Ménage was my first Crabtree beer and it was amazing, I'd take it over at least 95% of the beers I've had, looking forward to trying their Berliner as soon as I drink down my fridge a bit.
  17. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (440) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

Crabtree meet the brewer in Colorado Springs tonight. They Brought down two barrel aged beers. Menage is one of the best Colorado beers I've had. Hope their barrel program expands so non-club members can buy some of it. Seriously good beers. Once the beer mags/snobs rate them high, they'll be big trade bait.
  18. Damn ipad autocorrect. I cringe everytime I see this thread!
    denver10 likes this.
  19. Steve_0

You can buy Menage Trois in stores in Denver.
  20. denver10

And Fort Collins (Wilburs).
  21. ucsbmullet

Where have you seen in Denver? FTC may be too far for me to get to.
  22. Jasonrm72

I got mine at Wallaby's. Though I dont see it in their online inventory right now. But that doesnt necessarily mean they dont have it.
  23. denver10

In Denver I have seen it at Argonaut and Mr. B's. Joy's also seems like a place that might have/had it and they also might be the likeliest of that trio to still have some in stock.

Both were back in July before I moved up to FTC so don't take this as they currently have them in. However, those are 2 places that might be worth giving a call to in advance to see if they continue to have it in stock?
  24. MarkyMOD

And Boulder.
  25. Jasonrm72

They had a ton at Liquor Barn on Broadway in Englewood $8.50 if I remember correctly
  26. ucsbmullet

Thanks for the heads up.
  27. denver10

A long shot but might as well ask.

Anyone try this one lately? I still see it hanging around and am tempted to pcik up another bottle (or two). I just question if this beer is one that can handle the age and getting any sweeter than it already was..
  28. MarkyMOD

Haven't seen this in stores for a long time, but I'm at a restaurant that has it and this is definitely my next beer, favorite anything I've had from Colorado, will let you know how it is, had it about 3 months ago and it was a more meady, not in the best way, still awesome though.
    denver10 likes this.
  29. denver10

Awesome, definitely interested in hearing how its holding up. Thanks.
  30. MarkyMOD

Well it was kind of watered down, like every flavor lost at least half of its kick... It was still really good, but it has me pretty worried for the one I'm aging, hoping that something was a little off with that bottle... Hey I can hope. On a side note I mixed a couple ounces with a couple ounces of Upslope Barleywine and that was simply amazing.
    denver10 likes this.
  31. I really wish I could spell after having a few beers. This thread title still embarrasses me.

I'm still a fan of this brew. It is getting sweeter and the mead is taking over, but there's still a hint of the other barrels. It's worth a try, IMO, if you see it in the $5 per bottle range.

I have a few so I'd give you one next time I make it up there. I was thinking about going to Odell tomorrow.
    SalukiAlum and denver10 like this.
  32. denver10

Yeah, the price for the bottles remains $7.99 so not sure I am going to bother. It would be great if they made this an annual summer release.

And thanks for the offer, FishPondManager, but I am all good. I know a place that sells it, so if I really want it I know where to find it. Plus, I am sober this weekend and won't be able to make it to Odell for the Peach IIPA release. Fortunately, if this follows the same pattern as Amuste and Deconstruction has, this one should remain available in their taproom for a while. Should give me plenty of time to hit the taproom up and try it, as as of right now I really don't intend to spend the $13-$16 bucks for a bottle of it. That, of course, could easily change once I try it though.